GT7 is compatible with motion rig ?

• Thread starter poumpoum
  • 680 comments
C_L
Full disclaimer, I've spent about 10-15 minutes in GT7 VR2 Motion. Initial impressions; not playable. The setup needs some sort of VR compensation allowance - sitting in the motion rig racing bucket seat on Grand Valley in an Alfa 4C got me too much head movement that it creates a discombobulating experience inside the cockpit of the car (body is moving around constantly trying to re-center) and ultimately takes me out of the VR demised play space which forces the headset to pause and requests a rescan of the room.
If you mount a small TV on your rig I think that you can compensate the motion by activating PSVR 2 “Tracking Support” :
Hidden-PSVR-2-Setting.jpg

Link : https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...vr-2-setting-improve-tracking-accuracy-frame/

Using the PSVR2 with the H3 and bass transducer works great for me. I've been playing since the 22nd with no issues. It's extremely immersive. Of course, I spent most of the summer getting the motion dialed in just right by coding my own proxy based on the wealth of info from this forum and from Jeff Weaver on the SRS side. Less is definitely more when it comes to motion. I've even done online races this week without issues.
We need a video of this :D !!!

Last edited:
If you mount a small TV on your rig I think that you can compensate the motion by activating PSVR 2 “Tracking Support” :
View attachment 1236332
Link : https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...vr-2-setting-improve-tracking-accuracy-frame/

We need a video of this :D !!!

Can anyone confirm this works for motion compensation, I'm hovering over the buy button on a DOF H3 + magicbox but want to be sure this can work first as GT7 will be my primary game
I've been going back and forth with this - my first play with the updated profile I ran without a television and it worked just as well. Second play was with the television and tracking support on; I didn't notice a difference in tracking. Third play, same setup - unplayable as the system kept pausing to reset play area boundaries. I'm thinking it has to do with the light in the room at the time of play - the first two were in the evening with uniform light coming from the overhead fan, whereas the third play and initial play with VR was in daytime with bleed through from the shutters just right of the rig.

The other question to tackle is which is better; sit area or standing/movement area when determining the best settings.

Here is my buddy trying it out

Ask and you shall receive...

Would you mind sharing the settings you are currently using? Also that chair looks comfy, who makes?

Jerome

Would you mind sharing the settings you are currently using? Also that chair looks comfy, who makes?

Jerome
Max Angle - 100
Overall Smoothing - 0
Reaction Speed - 100
Boost - 36

[Range, Max telemetry, Smoothing effect]

Pitch - r14 m7 s10
Roll - r10 m8 s10
Yaw - r0 m1800 s0
Lat g sway - r12 m13 s 15
Long g surg acc. - r16 m6 s5
Long g surg decc. - r16 m12 s5
Vert g heave - r14 m6 s0
Engine haptic - off

Traction Loss - r16 m15 s5

Min loss act. = 0
Gear smooth factor = 20

Jerome

C_L kindly shared my H3 settings above. The seat is a GT Omega RS6. I got it because it bolts directly to the H3 without any modifications, it has a slider and reclines and it fits my small build perfectly. They also make an RS9 model that is wider.

Peace \/
chisel316

C_L
I didn't notice a difference in tracking
That's strange. Perhaps the internal hardware (accelerometer / gyrocsope ?) is the main data used to track the position and the TV only try to compensate after...

Could you try to race on daytona on the big banking to test the difference in tracking with and without the TV support ?

Thats great, thanks guys! I actually got the okay to get one of these H3s. I have three big questions left:
1) Does that RS6 seat cause you to 'slam into the sides' so to speak (like when rallying or in an F1 car for example?)
2) Is the wheelbase plate solid for DD wheels, does it wobble around, or the screws at the bottom get loose?
3) Is there any adjustments you have for adjusting the wheelbase toward you and moving the pedal base away from you? I've got long legs, but I prefer my wheelbase to be a little closer to me. I am thinking of getting a 7in x 10in x 1/8in aluminum plate from Amazon for $10 and drillpress some holes to bring the wheelbase closer, then slide my seat all the way back as a way to give myself more legroom.

Jerome

C_L
Ok - second day with the rig moving. I put on a 50" Television on the stand - it's too big. The TV weighs only some 20 pounds but with the VESA adapter to go from 100x100 to 200x200 and the low portion mounting position it's too wobbly. What's more - it's too big! I'm looking upwards to look ahead and it's simply too much real estate. I think around a 40-43" is going to be the goldilocks here, ideally something with the TV mount near center.

I also grabbed an older Schroth harness from storage - need to get a bolt and some washers to mount it to the chassis, hanging loosely looks like there won't be any issues.

So.. I have learned, so far, this is not quite a plug and play getup. The tuning profile makes all the difference in the world. I suspect my early adoption here is going to bite me in the butt some because I flat out suck at making these adjustments and am eagerly waiting someone much smarter than me to post some tuning profiles. There are some youtube videos with Jeff Weaver I need to watch through to get an understanding of the adjustments and max values. I'm using his F1 H3 with SFU numbers currently. Wow. What a difference that made over the default. It feels far more accurate to what's happening on screen but there are still some random jerks and bucks that are unsettling and the cars won't pitch on decel/accel like they used to and at certain times, especially with lots of action/reaction, the platform seems to get lost and moves in unpredictable/random ways. There are also moments of spontaneous jumps, this time it isn't a bucking motion but just a HARD one off jump.

I'm trying different cars and different tracks out and the ideal solution is going to be to 'tune' for every car, too. I need to find a universal profile setting that'll work for 75% of cars out there. I noticed harder suspension vehicles like a Cayman GT4 on Sport Soft tires react much wilder to the same track versus a 90s Civic Type R on Comfort Sport tires.

I also need to dial the whole thing back a little - I lowered the boost to 25 and that was a little too muted. I'm running through all the tracks to get a broad range of input on adjustments. I feel a little nauseated writing this out in fact and I blame Daytona for that. Yowza - that roll effect on the bank with the huge TV is...uhh.. yeah.

With VR I'm thinking everything will need to be dialed back substantially - a less is more approach, because otherwise it's going to be an unreasonable chaotic experience. I see where actuators make an argument as they would simulate the suspension of the vehicle. Quite frankly, you'd want the best of both worlds and I suspect that's the H6 rig.

Next on the docket - get a smaller TV and order a buttkicker.

I noticed the magicbox will not recognize the 5ghz wifi network I have and am using the 2.4ghz. This may also be creating some telemetry confusion and random actions by the rig playing catch up or skipping movements due to the smoothing effects? I will send SRS a question tomorrow why/how to get the MagicBox to recognize the 5 band network. Ultimately I'll be bringing the rig inside the house which will give me access to an ethernet cable port which I'll split for the PS5 and MagicBox to go directly into the modem. Unless that's a bad idea, should it go to a router?
Got my DOF P3 last moday, it is awsome, especially with VR.

I'm running direct to SRS/DOF via laptop with no magic box and it works great.
Welcome to GTP dude! Once my P3 arrives, I'll be doing the same with a minipc. It's outputting telemetry data so it should work.

I also went over the top and got some Logitech flight sim stuff and MSFS 2020. It's gonna be a real PITA to flip between sim-racing and flight-sim equipment, but I've got a plan to make it all work as easily as possible (and it includes lots of usb extension printed labels, cables and zip ties :lol:).

Jerome

Welcome to GTP dude! Once my P3 arrives, I'll be doing the same with a minipc. It's outputting telemetry data so it should work.

I also went over the top and got some Logitech flight sim stuff and MSFS 2020. It's gonna be a real PITA to flip between sim-racing and flight-sim equipment, but I've got a plan to make it all work as easily as possible (and it includes lots of usb extension printed labels, cables and zip ties :lol:).

Jerome
Nice, get a second wheel/flight control mount. Only 4 bolts to loosen mount has slotted holes.

Amazing work! Thank you all!

Has anyone tried to link a DD wheel to a pc and use the GT7 telemetry data to run it instead of running it directly from the PS5? If yes, do you find any difference in the feedback quality?

I have a DD1 wheelbase and I constantly come across people saying that the feedback from a PC is way better than what you get from the PS5, which is frustrating to say the least.

Amazing work! Thank you all!

Has anyone tried to link a DD wheel to a pc and use the GT7 telemetry data to run it instead of running it directly from the PS5? If yes, do you find any difference in the feedback quality?

I have a DD1 wheelbase and I constantly come across people saying that the feedback from a PC is way better than what you get from the PS5, which is frustrating to say the least.
There’s no force feedback data in the telemetry, so no, that’s not gonna work.

As for the force feedback, that’s more a question of the game, rather than the wheel itself. At least that’s my take on it.

@Bornhall
I’m going to give this a go.
Does it have tyre wear or only tyre temperatures?

Also, is it possible to get data from AI cars in custom races? During replays or even during the races?

Are there any apps that focus on post-race data?

Last edited:
@Bornhall
I’m going to give this a go.
Does it have tyre wear or only tyre temperatures?

Also, is it possible to get data from AI cars in custom races? During replays or even during the races?

Are there any apps that focus on post-race data?
Only temperature. There’s only so much info in the telemetry. Anything else would only be guesstimates.

And no, telemetry is only for your own car. Telemetry during replays work, but is not 100% the same as the live telemetry.

As for apps that do post-race processing, no “app” as such that I know of. There are a few solutions if you read through this thread, but AFAIK there are no real standalone applications available.

Is there a place where I can get a consolidated list of all the GT7 programs that people on this forum have made available to the public? I'm looking for track analysis software for the PC.

Thanks!
chisel316

I'm running direct to SRS/DOF via laptop with no magic box and it works great.
I didn't realize SRS added native support until I read your post. Do you get a violent jolt forward when the motion kicks in? If not, would you mind posting your SRS tune?

Thanks,
chisel316

I didn't realize SRS added native support until I read your post. Do you get a violent jolt forward when the motion kicks in? If not, would you mind posting your SRS tune?

Thanks,
chisel316
When the telemetry starts there is a jolt fwd but it's not to bad. My tune is a work in progress I'll post it up when I'm home.

Thanks,
chisel316
This is where I'm at atm, I think pitch and roll settings effect how jerky it is the most out of all the settings.
Disable all settings and adjust 1 at a time.

Attachments

• 20230326_191316.jpg
    20230326_191316.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230326_191248.jpg
    20230326_191248.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230326_191327.jpg
    20230326_191327.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 36
How on earth you are able to feel kerbs...

To be honest, it was litteraly a plug & play experience.
  • I updated Simhub with the latest version.
  • I connected my PS5 and my PC to the same router (Wired, no wifi & I left everything by default, no ports fiddling)
  • I cloned my settings from Automobilista 2 to the GT7 profil in Simhub.
  • Launched a race in GT7 and everything was perfect right out of the gate.

Ahh, so at 0x1C there are actually 4 floats, and 0x28 is belonging to those and they are quaternion coefficients? Then the half-angle interpretation of the first three makes sense all of a sudden! So the first three are the imaginary part and the last one is the real part?
Thanks for the hint! Will update the table when i have confirmed the coefficients and their relation to the global coordinate system.
Apologies for digging this one up, but I wanted to check I was decoding the quaternion correctly as when I try to unpack the bytes from 0x1C with the scalar as the fourth float, the values look skewed on the charts, for example you can see the Long G Force below doesn't align with the Throttle and Brake:

1680548710092.png

However, when I decode the scalar first, things look a lot better:

1680548500426.png

am I just doing something daft?

A curious question as I do not own a PS5; Is the Simulation Interface still sending a packet per frame in higher refresh rate modes/120fps?

A curious question as I do not own a PS5; Is the Simulation Interface still sending a packet per frame in higher refresh rate modes/120fps?
Good question, unfortunately I don't have a 120 Hz display, so can't confirm or deny that. I would think that the telemetry is "locked" at around 60 Hz (don't recall who it was that found that the timing was off when you passed the finish line, but I think there's something in this thread IIRC) though, or we would most likely have seen it already, if it was connected to the display output.

I was told in another thread that they still get sent at 60Hz, I'm assuming this is to keep things simple for multiplayer by using a standard 'tick'. Even though I have a PS5, I haven't been able to verify this as I don't have a tv or monitor that supports more than 60Hz.

Back