GT7-The iconic cars that need to stay

I often wonder if Polyphony Digital made a native version of Ultra HD high polygon count premium models and downscaled them for the PS3 GT games. That way, they could simply plug them into a more impressive graphics engine for the PS4. I would hope they have that kind of foresight.

Last edited:
I often wonder if Polyphony Digital made a native version of Ultra HD high polygon count premium models and downscaled them for the PS3 GT games. That way, they could simply plug them into a more impressive graphics engine for the PS4. I would hope they have that kind of foresight.

I think they have, Kaz has always said that the premium cars are more suited to a 'next gen' console. I think people will be pleasantly surprised how good they will look on the ps4. Native 1080p and decent MSAA will go a very long way.

Yes, it's evident in the photomode which has a much higher resolution than the PS3 is capable of producing on the track. The premiums are more than ready for next gen.

Yes, it's evident in the photomode which has a much higher resolution than the PS3 is capable of producing on the track. The premiums are more than ready for next gen.
Especially the very new ones, VGT cars, the Stratos, 2000GT, C7, FT-1, Most newly added American Cars are even perfectly smooth models.

Especially the very new ones, VGT cars, the Stratos, 2000GT, C7, FT-1, Most newly added American Cars are even perfectly smooth models.
Quite. There won't be anyone disappointed with how the premiums look on the PS4. Now the standards...er cars without detailed interiors...that's another matter altogether:crazy::lol:

I think PD should start take an online PSN activity survey of the top 400 mostly used "standard" cars in the open lobby and cull the rest of them. Take the ones that make the list and fully render them into high quality premiums.

I think PD should start take an online PSN activity survey of the top 400 mostly used "standard" cars in the open lobby and cull the rest of them. Take the ones that make the list and fully render them into high quality premiums.
You can make them look better like they did with the Ruf's, but making them "high quality premiums" means a complete reboot of the car and to do that 400 times would mean you'd get no new content for about 10 years. I think everyone over estimates how fast PD can model cars. The numbers don't lie. Roughly 10 years of modeling premium cars and we have roughly 400 unique premium models. That's 40/year folks.

...Kaz has always said that the premium cars are more suited to a 'next gen' console. I think people will be pleasantly surprised how good they will look on the ps4. Native 1080p and decent MSAA will go a very long way.
Adaptive Tessellation and advances in lighting will also make them look flawless.

You can make them look better like they did with the Ruf's, but making them "high quality premiums" means a complete reboot of the car and to do that 400 times would mean you'd get no new content for about 10 years. I think everyone over estimates how fast PD can model cars. The numbers don't lie. Roughly 10 years of modeling premium cars and we have roughly 400 unique premium models. That's 40/year folks.

They need to get with the current times and hire more rendering artists. Being a flagship production developer, their budget should be enormous.

They need to get with the current times and hire more rendering artists. Being a flagship production developer, their budget should be enormous.

Sadly, 'current times' means outsourcing rather than hiring. rather than doing things 'in house' which is what PD seems to prefer. PD gets to control quality, but the speed of asset creation is far slower than say, Turn 10.

The XR8 should stay as well. As was mentioned about the Supra. It has a Base Model as well. Imagine if the XR8 was premium with a Base Model. Seeing the interior with the "Larry Bar" would be similar to the HSV 010. Its a pain to have in view, but the leagues generated from having the XR8/Base Model would be so fresh.

The one I'd like to see upgraded to Premium would definitely be the Supra RZ. Just bought the car yesterday, and it really does look quite ugly, with the lines of the hood tearing. *shudder*

I want to keep everything that would be currently iconic. Like the Skylines/Supras/NSX's etc.

However, what about the mainstream icons that got lost in translation since GT1?

'96 Honda Accord Si-R /Wagon Variant
96-98 Honda Civics
Toyota Chaser
Mitsubishi Galant

These may not be super fast, but they were some of my favorites. I would love them to add the following:

'95 Toyota Camry
'01 Toyota Camry
'01 Toyota Avalon
'14 Honda Accord Sport
'10 Volkswagen Passat (Euro)
'12 Volkswagen Passat (Euro/US)
'12 Volkswagen CC (my current personal car)
'14 Volkswagen CC
'07 Volkswagen Jetta
'14 Lexus IS 250/350/F Sport
'15 Lexus RC-F
'12 Kia Optima (turbo only)
'15 Kia K900 (for hilarity)

Basically, more cars that are in the mainstream US marketplace. =)

Even though I like this idea, what I'm gonna say next may get me burned...
Take out the "standard cars". Re-introduce high-res models of the so-called iconic cars when they are ready to roll. Hire tons more modellers or at least work with external contractors to model vehicles. And slightly off topic, if you are out of ideas, PDI, just take a gander at GTPlanet forums!! :D

I would like a premium version of a lot of standard cars of GT1-6 in particular the racing cars like the LMP1/2, GT3, JGTC, ALMS, ELMS, DTM, and so on...
Cars like the Panoz Esperante, the Gillet vertigo, the Alfa 155, the Opel Calibra and so on...
About road cars there are many i would like to drive with an interior view... Like the Jaguar E type or some hot TVR ones... The more premiums the more happy i will be... :)

Every single car! :D
PLEASE god no. None of the duplicates, thanks. Instead use the resources freed up by not including sub-standard car models and make a BETTER game. You know, like return of enduro races; larger, more varied grid; intelligent AI; nicer sounds....Yup, the usual...

AE86 Sprinter and Levin. I'm thinking driver number and possibly front aero and carbon bonnet. No interior, as it's been upgraded to Standard/Premium.

Lister Storm, as it's been in every GT since GT2.
image.jpg
bringing back the road car would be cool too. :D
image.jpg

Having gotten GT3 and GT4 for Christmas, I think that we shouldn't lose, but bring back, these cars in GT3/GT4:

F687/S
F090/S
F094/S
Ford Model T Tourer 1915
Nike One 2022
FPV F6 Typhoon '04
FPV GT '04
Benz Patent Motorwagen 1885
Daimler Motor Carriage 1886
Daihatsu Midget '63
Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo Limited Edition (Z33) '05
Toyota Motor Triathlon Race Car '04