GTA: Liberty City Stories

KieranMurphy
Though I haven't been to Shoreside Vale yet.

And they've brought back the police spikestrips! They weren't in San Andreas for some reason. And they seem tougher to avoid than in Vice City.

The most obvious change on SSV is that they connected the two tunnels to no where---

I didn't drive around the west side too much other then the airport-- I tried to get up to the observatory but couldn't make it all the way.

I like the police spikes-- it does make it more challenging--- I drive around almost exclusively on motorcycles--

Regarding the recordbook-- I'd participate in one (although I don't have the time to run one this time around-- my little ones are quite the handful now)-- there are quite a few stats (timed things) to keep it interesting-- I do like that they don't force you to use a specific vehicle like they did in SA (other then bike or car races).

I'd like to remind everyone to try to keep spoilers (story and specific new things including checkpoints and races) to a minimum for a while.... if you must discuss a spoiler please give a **spoiler alert** at the top of your post so I can skip it. I love finding everything on my own.

I will ask if anyone has done taxi yet and if you have to do 100 passengers (like III and VC) or 50 (like SA)--- I've done a couple of passengers so far... usually when I'm leaving a safe house and jack one-- it seems like most missions are across town and most passengers want to get across town so I kill 2 sticks with one stone by doing this... taxi sucks (other then the money you can make doing passengers in a row):grumpy:

I haven't got a chance to play in a few days...

Spuds725
Regarding the recordbook-- I'd participate in one (although I don't have the time to run one this time around-- my little ones are quite the handful now)-- there are quite a few stats (timed things) to keep it interesting-- I do like that they don't force you to use a specific vehicle like they did in SA (other then bike or car races).
I could run a recordbook, the only problem being I don't have all stats in my game (haven't left Portland yet).

Jonas_AH
I could run a recordbook, the only problem being I don't have all stats in my game (haven't left Portland yet).
That wouldn't be a problem. Someone else could PM you the full list of stats. But I don't think there'd be much interest in a record book until everyone's finished the storyline and/or 100%.

And even then, would there be enough LCS players here to justify it?

KM.

I'd also be interested in a record book, or at the very least a topic where we all post our stats, share ideas, etc.

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm in Staunton Island now and have been mainly sticking with the story missions. I figure I'll try to finish the story missions without doing anymore side missions and then start a new game and try for 100%.

By the way, is it just me or does this game look really dark? I've got the brightness cranked on the game and upped the brightness on my tv by 25%. Am I crazy?

Time of Death
By the way, is it just me or does this game look really dark? I've got the brightness cranked on the game and upped the brightness on my tv by 25%. Am I crazy?
No, I've noticed the same thing. It can be very hard to make out things in dark alleyways. I've crashed into a few things because I couldn't make out details. Even with my TV contrast and brightness cranked way up it doesn't help much. Blackness just becomes a dark grey with no details.

KM.

I think the recordbook should wait a bit-- I felt rushed to finish SA so I could work on SA recordbook stats-- lets wait til at least several people have at least 100%... the VC book wasn't created until it had been out for 5-6 months

Regarding the recordbooks in general--- I think its time they all be combined into a single thread (other then the latest GTA being seperate)-- there hasn't been much posting to any of them for a while-- is Jimmy still around????

No, Matt isn’t around these days. Why should they be combined into a single thread? As far as I know, merging them will make the post order very yucky. We could make a new thread, and put the record book posts in at the start, then close the other threads… :indiff:

I don't see any need to merge the record books. They should be left as they are, as sticky threads, just for the hell of it. It's nice to have these kind of things recorded, just for posterity's sake.

I'm not sure that there'll ever be a need for a similar LCS record book, but the least we can do is open a thread when the time is right, just to discuss our stats, times, kill methods etc. I think it'll only be a handful of people involved, and I can't even be sure I'll still be interested enough to get involved myself when the time comes.

KM.

The moderator in me thinks that the recordbooks are past their prime-- only a handful of posts in the past 6 months... I do think that they should be remained pinned but in one thread.

Rather then a true "merge" I was more thinking of just copying and pasting the VC and III ones into the SA one-- locking the III and VC ones and linking to the threads from the recordbooks in the SA-- this wouldn't muddle up any posts-- we could even use blake and mines existing posts to keep them in so we could continue to edit as needed--- if Matt ever comes back he could edit them too as a moderator.

Maybe this need not be done at this time but at least by the time IV comes out... and actually pin some IV related info.... rather then just being a recordbook forum....just my opinion....

I would definitely be involved in posting in a recordbook... I like all the races I've done so far... III's Tourismo was too hard a street race for me to like... very frustrating...

Here's a idea, that might work.

Instead of merging the posts from all record books, keep them open. But perhaps make a locked(as in only the person(s) who update can post in it), that has all the records for all 3(4 soon) games. I think that idea is good imo. Some people like me don't try for records in gta sa or vice, since i suck at those games more for some reason.

I'm glad people are considering doing a record book for LCS, even if only 10 people are particpating, at least we could be the best 10 in the world. :)

Due to work/World Cup, I haven't played LCS in several days, but I've had a deecent session today and I've unlocked Shoreside Vale. I think I'll see what's to see before doing any more story missions. At first glance, I don't seem to have a garage at my safehouse. I haven't even been introduced to my safehouse in the storyline missions. I just found it on my radar.

KM.

I like how there's a break in the guard rail of the bridge in Shoreside Vale. It's a nice shortcut to get to your safehouse or that general area.

I finished the story missions two nights ago and have been doing some side missions since then in order to try to eventually get 100%. Despite there being some things missing from this game that I really enjoyed in GTA3, there is just so much extra stuff in this game that isn't in GTA3. So, basically what I'm trying to say is that I like this game just as much as, or even more than, GTA3 :).

KieranMurphy
Forget it. I found the garage attached to the Shoreside Vale safehouse. I'm just blind I guess.
KM.

Took me a minute or two to find it too... of course I looked before I posted ;)... I haven't done any missions since I opened up SSV... real life is keeping me busy.

back to the recordbook discussion.... you can't update a locked thread without it being unlocked...which means the person would need moderator privlidges.... like I said before, it can probably wait til IV comes out.

I'm sorry I mentioned it in this thread... really belongs in its own thread so this is the last I will say about it here.... my lips are sealed...

What's IV?

I reached what I think is the final storyline mission last night. Had about 5 goes at it before going to bed.

There's a real annoying glitch with the aiming system. If a bad guy is standing behind something like a crate or a car and you aim at him from a distance with an autoaiming gun like an assault rifle, it automatically aims for the centre of his torso. So even if his top third is clearly visible, you can't hit him - you'll just fire shots at the object blocking him. And taking out the sniper rifle and aiming it takes long enough that you can easily be dead in the meantime. That's if you've got a sniper rifle to begin with...

KM.

Would it be appropriate to post a few glitches for LCS in this thread? I need a forum with a longer memory and a better editor than GameFAQs.

I was using the Portland to Staunton Island Warp Zone!!! and Lift Bridge Glitch to complete as much as possible before doing any story missions. When I tried to complete the 3rd level of the See the Sight Before Your Flight mission using the Speeder in Staunton to transport my customer to Portland, Toni fell into Blue Hell on top of the invisible subway. I eventually managed to load the subway map to show the safe path, jack a vehicle falling from the sky, and cruise through blue hell to all three islands and the unfinished tunnel.

I'm still waiting for my google video to be verified. In the meantime, a Windows Media Video (30MB) is available from rapidshare.
http://rapidshare.de/files/24748001/Blue_Heaven.wmv.html

So, should I post complete descriptions and screenshots for the glitches here, or would that be more appropriate someplace else?

Whoopee! I finished the main story missions. Just got do all those side missions - jumps, vigilante, races, hidden packages, firefighter, etc. etc. etc. I'm still only at 47%.

KM.

IV = GTA:IV

Congrats on completing the story--

minor spoiler below

I played today some-- I tried storing that tank you steal--- blew it up in a garage-- and healed it--- I tried saving and it disapeared :(

So I spent over an hour trying and failing to jack a tank-- getting up to 6 stars-- finally got one and saved it and did vigilante in it--- got up to 6 stars in doing so and when parking in my SI garage-- another tank followed me-- and I jacked that one too-- I parked them both in my SI garage and found they are too close together to enter (door won't open) took me 5 minutes to push it back out-- saved it at my SSV garage....

I did get my media attention to "stuff of legends" although I did not see a number for that stat..

So, how are you guys liking the game so far?

Last night I started grabbing the hidden packages, though I cheated and used an FAQ :guilty: and grabbed the final package this afternoon. Working on the unique jumps now (with FAQ). Also spent some time trying some of the glitches in Orion's vid and had some fun. I tried doing the taxi glitch from GTA3 a few days ago (the one that bcks posted where you can do the taxi missions in any vehicle) but it doesn't seem to work :indiff:.

Edit: 64%

Time of Death
So, how are you guys liking the game so far?

Last night I started grabbing the hidden packages, though I cheated and used an FAQ :guilty: and grabbed the final package this afternoon. Working on the unique jumps now (with FAQ). Also spent some time trying some of the glitches in Orion's vid and had some fun.
Oh, good. I'm glad someone's tried it out. I can tell I've had a few downloads, but haven't received much feedback. If you had loaded the subway map before you collected the hidden packages you may have been able to see a few. With the streets and walls invisible from below, I can see weapons, pills, hearts, and other icons floating above.

BTW, the glitch works with other boats and vehicles. It works with car so I tried it with GTA3 and it works there too. You can move boats to other locations where there is a tunnel below and a place to jump the bike into the cabin. I can access the subway where it meets the runway in SSV, and drop down onto the unfinshed tunnel in NE Staunton and run all the way to a warp to Wichita Gardens. I seems a little easier than pushing a boat past the terminal.

So, can I post complete reference for the glitches here?

I say go for it. :)
Soon as im bored in portland and got all the stuff done, im gonna be trying the glitchs out.
Whats the max % in portland(first story mission only done) you can get? Im at 20% right now, with tons of stuff to do before messing witht those, might aswell have them ready to go when im ready. :)

Home Sweet Home Checklist

Portland Only
[ ] Vigilante
[ ] Paramedic
[ ] Firefighter
[ ] Taxi
[ ] Trash Dash
[ ] Noodle Delivery
[ ] 9MM Mayhem
[ ] Scooter Shooter

[ ] Scrapyard Challenge
[ ] Wong Side Of The Tracks
[ ] Bumps & Grinds

[ ] RC Triad Take-Down
[ ] Thrashin' RC

[ ] Portland Rampages 6 of 6
[ ] Portland Unique Jumps 12 of 13 (Dolls)
[ ] Portland Packages 37 of 40 (Dolls, Lighthouse, Island)

25% complete

With Staunton Warp Zone and Lift Bridge Glitch - no cheats
[ ] Hidden Packages 97 of 100
[ ] Portland Packages 39 of 40 (Dolls)
[ ] Staunton Packages 28 of 30 (Fort Staunton, Callahan Bridge)
[ ] Shoreside Vale Packages 30 of 30

[ ] Unique Jumps 25 of 26
[ ] Portland Unique Jumps 12 of 13 (Dolls)
[ ] Staunton Unique Jumps 6 of 6
[ ] Shoreside Vale Unique Jumps 7 of 7

[ ] Rampages 20 of 20
[ ] Portland Rampages 6 of 6
[ ] Staunton Rampages 7 of 7
[ ] Shoreside Vale Rampages 7 of 7

[ ] Bikes Salesman
[ ] Pizza Delivery
[ ] Love Media Car List 14 of 16 cars
[ ] Go Go F@ggio
[ ] Ragin' RC

[ ] AWOL Angel
[ ] Chasin' RC
[ ] See The Sights Before Your Flight Level 11
(maybe 12, but then you loose the BP Landstalker)

48% complete

Lift Bridge Glitch

The status of the Lift Bridge between Staunton and Shoreside Vale can be set into normal motion so it will go up and down, and sound a dinging alarm. This normal status will persist until the PS2 is reset. This glitch is not saved with the gamesave. Getting busted, dying, and loading other saves will not reset the glitch. There are two known ways to trigger the glitch:

1) Load a save with Shoreside Vale unlocked.

2) Start the See the Sight Before Your Flight mission at the Shoreside Vale subway entrance by the airport. There is no need to complete the level; just start the mission. The bridge will remain down for the duration of the mission. After the mission the lift bridge will operate normally.

The See the Sight Before Your Flight mission at the airport in can be triggered before Shoreside Vale is unlocked by pushing a boat (the Predator is recommended) around the Staunton ferry terminal, Cruising the tunnels of blue hell, or by using the Cars Float on Water cheat. Loading after the cheat seems to clear the cheat and leave the glitch active. I have very little experience using cheats, but I assume there would be no lasting ill effects.

Accessing Blue Hell Tunnels by Boat

If a boat is parked over a tunnel or subway and a vehicle is jumped into the cabin of the boat, when the characters exit the vehicle they will fall through the bottom of the boat onto the structure below.

This glitch appears to work in GTA3 and Liberty City Stories using any boat or vehicle. It has been tested only on GTA3 and LCS for PS2 with all bikes, the Yazuka Stinger, the Speeder, and the Reefer. Except where noted, these locations are specific to Liberty City Stories.

Preparation: The subway system of LCS has an independent map, so much of the time the subway tunnel will not be visible. Frequently the train can be seen traveling inside the tunnel and used to navigate the safe path. The trains travel clockwise around the map on the outer track. Use the opportunity to center Toni over the starboard side of the train. If Toni falls from the subway he will be warped to another location. The location is dependent on where he falls and may be different when he’s in a vehicle.

Bring lots of rockets. The safe path can be lit by the reflection from the glare of rockets. This is my primary means of travel. Fire a rocket, look for the reflection, re-aim if necessary, run a short distance, and fire another rocket. When you are unsure of the location of a tunnel in the sea, rockets can be used as probes to find the correct position to place the boat. Molotov Cocktails can also be used to probe invisible paths; I recommend completing the fire truck mission before you try this method. In some locations, leaves and debris will provide clues to the position of invisible structures.

Location #1 – Blue Heaven

Google Video
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Windows Media Video (5 min, 30MB)
http://rapidshare.de/files/24748001/Blue_Heaven.wmv.html

There are three docks on the eastern side of Staunton Island. The center dock has a Speeder parked above the subway coming from China Town Station in Portland. Jump a bike into the cabin of the Speeder and exit the bike to fall onto the invisible path below. If Toni falls from the subway before reaching the unfinished tunnels, he will be warped to Portland.

Toni is now standing on the outside edge of an invisible tunnel as it curves south toward the S Staunton Station. When I tried to follow the train south Toni always met a wall near the Callahan Bridge, gained too much elevation, and drowned in the water. (See Leap of Faith for the next section of subway).

From the drop point, move to the center of the tip of the dock pointing east. Aim a rocket east and observe several pairs of pillars supporting the L-train. Identify the second pair from the right. Look between this pair and observe several dark patches on the wall. Identify the second dark patch from the right. Fire a rocket to make sure Toni is lined up properly, then run directly east until the Portland Map loads at the water’s edge.

The path will kink slightly to the right until it reaches the road and begins a turn north towards China Town. When the turn is complete the subway will run directly below the southbound lanes of the road running through the Red Light District if extended through China Town. The China Town Station will become visible as Toni approaches; when he is almost in the station the subway map will load and the invisible path can be seen.

Once the subway map is loaded many of the intersections above will not be solid so beware of cars and bikes raining from the sky in the Red Light District. The China Town Station is solid and can be explored. The streets and building are invisible above, so rockets can be used to cause destruction, and in some places a sniper rifle can be used. It is possible to view the locations of icons such as bribes, hearts, pills, weapons, and packages from below.

Jack a bike to explore the next section of subway; it’s a long way on foot and there’s a difficult jump that tends to roll cars. Continue north toward the N Staunton Station until the unfinished tunnel can be seen below and slow down. If Toni falls from the subway in a vehicle he will warp into the unfinished tunnel. There’s an invisible wall blocking the subway route so you’ll need to drop down to the unfinished tunnel to continue the exploration.

While heading toward N Staunton, turn left and drop to the unfinished tunnel. This will load the Staunton Map and the subway train can again be seen traveling in mid-air. Proceed to the end of the tunnel to see the abandoned subway under Fort Staunton. This area has no floor. If Toni falls from into Blue Hell without a vehicle he will warp into a continuous fall. This is a great place for perfect insane stunt jumps into blue hell.

Turn around and follow the tunnel to the main unfinished spur that will eventually lead to Portland. Parts of the roof of this wider tunnel are not solid. Toni will hit the solid part in a PCJ but will slip through the cracks into the tunnel below when riding a Freeway. To follow the route safely, ride along the outer edge of the tunnel. The unfinished tunnel will lead past the stadium and under the sea all the way to the barrier of the Shoreside Vale tunnel. Jump into the Stadium and Toni will warp to Staunton. Jump at the barrier on foot and Toni will warp to Wichita Gardens. Jump in a vehicle and Toni will warp to the SSV side of the barrier and inside the tunnel.

Location #2 - Airport Runway

Enter the subway and travel the section where the subway meets the main runway at the SSV airport as the train travels from S Staunton to the SSV Station. Mark this location on the map, and then drive around to the dock at the end of the runway. There is a series of ramps leading down to the dock. Park the bike on the lower level in line with the ramp with enough room to stand between the bike and the wall of the ramp. Mount the bike and head directly east toward the angled section of the dock. Stop and dismount short of the water. Probe the water with rockets to find the center position of the tunnel below. The rockets will explode when they hit the subway, and fly harmlessly into blue hell when they miss.

Move the bike to be over the center of the tunnel. Then grab the Speeder spawned along the southern edge of the dock and move it in front of the bike. I found it easier to jump from the front of the boat to the dock if the boat was docked with a southwest heading. Jump the bike into the cabin of the boat, but be careful not to let the front wheel drop so much that Toni falls from the bike. Exit the bike to fall onto the subway tunnel below.

This section of tunnel is invisible but the trains are visible inside. Use rockets to light the path west and the tunnel will turn north to the SSV Station. The path beyond the station is blocked by a pedestrian overpass and I’ve been unable to find a way to climb the invisible structure. The subway map does not load, even when Toni falls into blue hell and is warped inside of the station. Some of the stairs and walls are invisible so it can be difficult to escape from angry gangs. The path to the east leads under Staunton Island and south toward the S Staunton Station. However, Toni drowned as when the path led into an area with water so I have been unable to explore any further.

Location #3 – Unfinished Tunnel Access to Shoreside Vale

The unfinished tunnel is marked in the northeast corner of the Staunton Island map. It pokes out to the northeast toward the future Portland tunnel, with a spur which circles around toward the abandoned subway and tunnel entrance by the Staunton Hospital. Get a boat from the east Staunton docks, park it over the wide tunnel, jump out of the boat and run up the slope to jack a bike from the road. Jump the bike into the cabin of the boat and exit to fall onto the unfinished tunnel below. I recommend a Reefer due to the large flat cabin big enough to catch a jumping bike.

The top of the unfinished tunnel is visible, but falling in this area without a vehicle frequently results in an endless fall. I have not found a way into the unfinished tunnel without a vehicle. The abandoned subway can be seen, but it is a long walk to get anywhere without a vehicle and the exit to Shoreside Vale is the other way. I see this entrance as an alternative to pushing a boat past the ferry terminal to trigger the lift bridge glitch for easy access to Shoreside Vale before it is unlocked.

Unsuccessful and Untested Locations

SSV to N Staunton Subway

I found the location where the subway crosses from SSV to N Staunton by marking the map inside the tunnel and probing with rockets above. But I have been unable to find a way to get a vehicle inside the boat beached on the slope into the sea. The cliff face where the subway crosses under Staunton Island doesn’t look promising. This leaves the entire section of subway from the north side of the SSV station, to the invisible wall by the unfinished tunnel on the other side of the N Staunton Station, completely unexplored.

SSV to Staunton Unfinished Tunnel

The unfinished tunnel enters NW Staunton from SSV near the Stadium and is clearly marked on the map. This looks like an easy place to jump a bike into a boat, but barriers block access by boats from Staunton unless you push one around the ferry terminal. This doesn’t seem like a good alternative for early access to Shoreside Vale.

Fort Staunton Inlet

I tied to access the subway tunnels as they pass under the inlet near the Fort Staunton Unique Jump. I found the location and made the drop, but Toni drowned under the boat.

Leap of Faith

This is not a boat glitch but it related because it provides access to the subway system south of the drowning wall near the Speeder drop point, to an area near the S Staunton Station. This entrance was described by fathedred in this thread at GameFAQs.

Near the southern dock of east Staunton are several large red and blue containers with an M4 spawn between the containers. Jump down from the road above onto the southern set of container. Work Toni against the wall and south under the bridge, then jump over the wall into the space under the road. Move to the bottom of this large L shaped area and observe the space below. Leaves and debris can be seen floating on an invisible structure below. Shoot several rocket into this area and observe the reflection from the rocket glare to find the center of the tunnel. Jump straight onto the tunnel so Toni will be unlikely to roll off the edge when he lands.

The safe path remains invisible but is fairly straight and easy to navigate. To the north the path is blocked by a wall near the Callahan Bridge. To the south the path is covered by water and extremely difficult to navigate. I have been unable to make the final turn west to approach the S Staunton Station. Toni can walk safely in the water, but the view keeps changing to an overhead shot when the waves roll in, and Toni drowns when he slips off the tunnel.

Back