Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters
Wherever they go, I hope that the location is more balanced than Los Santos. There was the city centre and not much else - the outlying towns were underdeveloped to say the least.

I like the idea of an entirely new setting. I recently read Nic Pizzolatto's Gavelston, which is set along the Gulf coast from Gavelston to New Orleans. It's this really moody mix of humidity, cynicism and urban decay that I think would be perfect for a GTA game. Maybe with a satellite city based on Detroit - I know they're thousands of kilometres apart - where you could get some real Scandinavian noir influences going.

So, I've been thinking about it - the idea needs to be expressed or else it will just rattle around in my head all day - and this is my ideal Grand Theft Auto VI:

Magnolia State
Welcome, to Magnolia State - or, as you may have heard of it, America's Pancreas (a somewhat ironic name considering that it is a world leader in the production and consumption of sugary drinks). It may not be as glamorous as America's Heartland, and nobody south of the Mason-Dixon Line might know what it does, but just try and remove your pancreas and see how long you survive. Magnolia State embodies the can-do spirit unique to the south-eastern corner of the American Midwest; it has produced more presidential candidates who have been the first to drop out of the primary race than any other state.

St. Bartholomaeus
St. Bart's, as it is known by the locals, is named for St. Bartholomaeus, the Patron Saint of the Gullible, the Stubborn, and Those In Denial About A Family History of Alzheimer's. Bartholomaeus was a Hungarian priest who accompanied early settlers, and was well-known for his charitable work, ministering to prostitutes all night long. The city itself, in the heart of the Bourgeois Bayou, has been described as a testament to man's triumph over his environment; city planners, on the other hand, describe it as "incompetent" and cite the earliest records of the city's founding - after becomimg horrendously lost, the expedition was forced to stop after an outbreak of dysentery. Today, St. Bartholomaeus has experienced an influx of Haitian immigrants alongside its Hungarian influence, and its primary industries are sugar cane, chewing tobacco and casual racism.

Harbourside
American history is full of stories about white settlers tricking Native Americans out of their land for a pittance; Harbourside, then, is the one time the Native Americans got the better of white settlers. Originally known as Ughughhackhack - an exact translation is unknown, but it is believed to mean "stew of toxic sludge" - the city built its fortune on the fad of radium-infused consumer products before the discovery of crude oil. In recent years, the city has seen significant investment from China and the Middle East, to create a glittering metropolis in the middle of nowhere. If St. Bartholomaeus is "old money", Harbourside is "new money", with more imported Italian marble per square feet than Italy. Redidents, however, reject this, square feet being a sign of inbreeding. Today, the city is looking for a stable economic future as investment has dried up; until then, the city will continue to support itself producing spin-offs of "The Real Housewives".

Bleakprairie
Originally known as Hjørfjeltenströmmembergströmm, Bleakprairie was founded by a commune of Swedish noir writers who felt that their native Scandinavia was not intense enough for their art. It experienced a revival as a home of automotive manufacturing and gun culture until a recession hit. For the past twenty years, it has set national records for unemployment, but has recently experienced a boom in the production of spare screws for off-brand Swedish flatpack furniture.

This very impossible but I would love to see a GTA game that lets you choose what storyline would you like to play at the start of the game. My idea is if I decided that my character lives in Asia, then my storyline is in Asia (Episode) but I could wage war, trade and do business etc in online multiplayer with other players in Asia storyline or with "overseas" players (US, Europe, Africa, Australia storyline). And dominate the online crime world with your friends.

This very impossible but I would love to see a GTA game that lets you choose what storyline would you like to play at the start of the game.
The problem is that you're setting up a scenario where you're asking players to make a decision on which game they want to play without giving them any information on the characters, setting and story. Would you pick Michael, Trevor or Franklin at the start of Grand Theft Auto V without knowing anything about them? And what sort of impact would that have on the single-player experience given that their individual stories are pretty weak and only work because they compliment one another?

My idea is if I decided that my character lives in Asia, then my storyline is in Asia (Episode) but I could wage war, trade and do business etc in online multiplayer with other players in Asia storyline or with "overseas" players
That puts too much emphasis on the online component. You have essentially turned the game into a Call of Duty variant where the only value is in multiplayer.

That puts too much emphasis on the online component. You have essentially turned the game into a Call of Duty variant where the only value is in multiplayer.
It wouldn't be surprising though given how Rockstar has completely stopped supporting any kind of single player content for V in exchange for GTA: Online.

I will also add that what I'm thinking this isn't like the GTA that we used to know. There would be a character creation screen at the start. You will be the character and that character will be carried into the multiplayer part of the game. Its not really online focus only because the game contains the all the "regions". If you're a Single Player kind of guy then finish all the "regions" storyline (worth 80+ hrs of gameplay per region). That's why its impossible...anyway. The Stories or Episodes are independent of one another. Unless Rockstar have a way to interact with game saves of characters created from your different playthrough of regions. Like when you switch Michael, Trevor, and Franklin in GTAV. The regions only play its part with one another when its comes to multiplayer. Example, I made a character in the Asain storyline and used that character to play with players on the North American Storyline. I asked for my American friends to help to deal with my enemies in my region because they have a unique item only available in their storyline to have an advantage with my enemies. In exchange, I will also give them favors. That would create a sense of camaraderie (I hope) in the game and not just shooter type feel. Single Player is extremely important because that's where you get turf to use in your online play. The more you complete the single player. The more chance you have in multiplayer because you also need the equipment you acquire in Single Player to have an advantage in Online. The main idea of this different regions is to simulate the actual interactions of crime groups across the world and not just make the GTA a shooter game. World Domination is the goal. Make allies, trade, kill, conquer, repeat. Sorry I know its extremely impossible for GTAVI to have this feature. Sorry for bad grammar.

Its kinda Rock, Paper, Scissors gameplay depending on what side are you or what region are you playing. That's why you need to make allies with players in other regions.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be surprising though given how Rockstar has completely stopped supporting any kind of single player content for V in exchange for GTA: Online.
After Grand Theft Auto IV, I can't blame them from taking a step back from additional single-player content. The diamond exchange mission was a prime example of this. I get that they were trying to tell individual stories that happened to have a few shared elements, but in order to fully understand what was going on, you pretty much had to play - and, more importantly, buy - The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Grand Theft Auto V was a step forward in storytelling. By having multiple protagonists, with their own interrelated stories, it elimimated one of the key issues from previous games: that you did this set of jobs for that character, and then moved on to a new character. I really struggled to keep up with the plot of Grand Theft Auto IV at times; I'd find myself halfway through a mission for someone like Mallory and catch myself wondering how I'd gotten there and what I was trying to achieve.

What Grand Theft Auto VI really needs is a compelling villain. The series hasn't had one since Officer Tenpenny. The brilliance of San Andreas was in that both CJ and Tenpenny were ultimately trying to escape the constraints imposed upon them by society, but they did it in very different ways - CJ by legitimising his family name and legacy, and Tenpenny by subjugating the community so that he could stand out as a model citizen. Grand Theft Auto V encroached on this territory by suggesting that Michael felt guilty about letting Trevor live, but powerless to do anything about it for fear of tearing the one honest thing in his life apart; however, Rockstar undermined it by making Trevor an heroic character.

After Grand Theft Auto IV, I can't blame them from taking a step back from additional single-player content. The diamond exchange mission was a prime example of this. I get that they were trying to tell individual stories that happened to have a few shared elements, but in order to fully understand what was going on, you pretty much had to play - and, more importantly, buy - The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Grand Theft Auto V was a step forward in storytelling. By having multiple protagonists, with their own interrelated stories, it elimimated one of the key issues from previous games: that you did this set of jobs for that character, and then moved on to a new character. I really struggled to keep up with the plot of Grand Theft Auto IV at times; I'd find myself halfway through a mission for someone like Mallory and catch myself wondering how I'd gotten there and what I was trying to achieve.

What Grand Theft Auto VI really needs is a compelling villain. The series hasn't had one since Officer Tenpenny. The brilliance of San Andreas was in that both CJ and Tenpenny were ultimately trying to escape the constraints imposed upon them by society, but they did it in very different ways - CJ by legitimising his family name and legacy, and Tenpenny by subjugating the community so that he could stand out as a model citizen. Grand Theft Auto V encroached on this territory by suggesting that Michael felt guilty about letting Trevor live, but powerless to do anything about it for fear of tearing the one honest thing in his life apart; however, Rockstar undermined it by making Trevor an heroic character.
I agree with you on all this, but it doesn't change the fact that the content they're adding has no relevance to any of this (besides potentially, the Heists). It's all just cars, weapons, clothes, & extra garages for the most part.

As of right now, the only value GTA V has is in its multiplayer because it's the only thing being given content that was originally shared between both Single Player & Multiplayer. After the Heists update, Rockstar stopped updating Single Player without a word. Even the highly anticipated Single Player DLC that was supposed to expand the story is assumed dead, and folks are blaming the Shark Cards. They're the reason Rockstar can keep all its DLC free and somewhere down the line, someone seemingly decided that since they're multiplayer-only, the content they allow Rockstar to create for free is must also be multiplayer-only.

Which comes back to your idea. GTA VI could have an epic story to tell, but it won't mean anything to the folks who play the game after that story is told if it entails being left behind in new content whilst GTA: Online receives update after update after update for a mode that barely ties into that epic story.

folks are blaming the Shark Cards.
Sorry, but I don't know what that is.

Which comes back to your idea. GTA VI could have an epic story to tell, but it won't mean anything to the folks who play the game after that story is told if it entails being left behind in new content whilst GTA: Online receives update after update after update for a mode that barely ties into that epic story.
Well, that makes me wonder: should a story continue on after the main storyline has wrapped up? Sure, we all want to continue to engage with the world that has been created for us, but a story needs to be able to stand for itself.

I'm a big fan of ABC's "Castle", about the mystery writer who becomes a consultant to the NYPD. I was drawn to it because it had this very compelling multi-season storyline about the murder of a major character's mother. It was wrapped up in season six, which was fine, and the show was renewed for a seventh season, which was also fine. But the events of season seven were confusing and felt artificially conflated, and now the events of season eight have tried to retcon everything into the original mystery. What the writers have got a the moment works, but it's the best of a bad bunch: it was pretty obvious that season seven was supposed to start its own story, and the decision to work it into the established story was never planned, so the whole thing is a little bit clumsy. The point is that the story ended with season six, and in theory, the series could have ended without a problem as well. The events of season seven and eight are an unnecessary continuation that has arguably cheapened the overall narrative.

That's my concern with single-player DLC for games. What does it actually add to the overall experience? I've nearly finished Assassin's Creed Unity, but I am going to pass on the Dead Kings DLC because I don't see what it adds. On the other hand, I am eagerly awaiting the Far Harbour DLC for Fallout 4 because it follows on from my gameplay experience of the main campaign on a separate, but meaningful way. What could single-player DLC add to the story of Grand Theft Auto V? I don't see any direction for it to take unless Rockstar retconned the ending so that the death of Trevor was the "official" ending.

Sorry, but I don't know what that is.
Rockstar's form of micro-transactions. Pay cash for In-Game cash.

What could single-player DLC add to the story of Grand Theft Auto V? I don't see any direction for it to take unless Rockstar retconned the ending so that the death of Trevor was the "official" ending.
It's not just about adding to the story, though Rockstar has the tools to add spin-offs successfully. It's about adding value to keep playing the game. People like to play GTA for all sorts of reasons when they're not bothering with the story, from creating chaos to "everyday" tasks. People want the cars, weapons, clothes, etc. to keep playing with. The current DLC of Lowriders is something a lot of people wanted (& it ties into a couple story characters), but you have to go online and earn money through online missions/tasks to get them. It's a pretty strong theory this became intentionally done because you can bypass all the in-game grinding (as a lot of the new content is very expensive) by buying the aforementioned Shark Cards. Single Player, to my recollection, has no micro-transactions of any kind, so there's no way for those players to "support" Rockstar giving out free DLC except for continuing to play the game years later.

If it had been that way from the beginning, the backlash wouldn't be so bad, but it was a decision done really out of nowhere making Single Players ask when they were going to get an update. Now, they're been left behind with the PS3/X360 players but without explanation.

As said, it's left a sour taste for many, that some won't consider buying GTA VI if Rockstar is just going to throw together a story & then only update the online portion. It will essentially, become the COD format.

I can only hope 3 things:
1. It's set in san Andreas, but in another time period (90s, 80s), including the whole state
2. SP gets updated and has a good story with depth
3. GTA online works for once

It's set in san Andreas, but in another time period (90s, 80s), including the whole state
The series does have some value as a form of social commentary:
  • San Andreas looks at race relations in 1990s California and emerging subcultures that are viewed by society as guilty by association.
  • Vice City is 1980s Miami, with the influx of cocaine culture and the influence of South American drug cartels.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV looks at the fragmentation of the American Dream and the way it gets appropriated and bastardised to the point where it is no longer recognisable.
  • Grand Theft Auto V covers the increasing corporatisation of society and a culture the worships increasing your material wealth.
So whatever Grand Theft Auto VI addresses, I suspect that it will be a current issue and I don't see anything in 1980s Los Angeles that relates to the 2010s. So I doubt that the game will be set in 1980s San Andreas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game revolves around the emergence of China as an economic superpower despite not being a capitalist state, the growing divide between the rich and everyone else, and the disenfranchisement of middle America with the political process.

SP gets updated and has a good story with depth
I'm not sure what you would consider "depth" to be - Grand Theft Auto V does have a compelling story; it's simply let down by unlikable characters. It's very much a story about dishonest people in a dishonest world, the way the two start impacting one another. Consider this: during the jewel heist, Michael boasts that he is an excellent thief, but when Jimmy accuses him of being a criminal, he reacts poorly; likewise, Franklin repeatedly states that he wants to escape life on the streets and make something of himself, but admits to Lester that he enjoys killing people. Trevor is the only honest person in the game, and his view that the world is fundamentally broken is probably the most legitimate.

Going off a bit on the location , as I figured the thread wasent just about the location because of the title , what do you guys think in terms of vehicles and weapons as regards to the next game ? There is notable vehicles I would like to see in GTA 6 . More tuner cars . A lot more . Lots more planes and Helis too . I would also want rid of the homing launcher.

If they're going to include aircraft, then they're going to need to include airports. Plural. Grand Theft Auto V might have had LSIA and Sandy Shores, but there was no reason to own a plane and fly between them.

Going off a bit on the location , as I figured the thread wasent just about the location because of the title , what do you guys think in terms of vehicles and weapons as regards to the next game ? There is notable vehicles I would like to see in GTA 6 . More tuner cars . A lot more . Lots more planes and Helis too . I would also want rid of the homing launcher.

The vehicles are my main concern. When the story is done, I love to just mess around with the cars - something GTA5 kinda ruined, btw, when it made sports cars better for offroading than trucks - so I need a modern game, to give the broadest selection. I, too, want more lower/mid-level Japanese and European tuner cars.

As for location... in terms of a playground I'd like to experience GTA-style, I'd love to see them tackle Hawaii. Cityscape, a bit of beautiful countryside (while not hugely diverse, I thought Test Drive Unlimited was just as nice to wander around as San Andreas), and of course the mountains. Plus, it offers up separate islands that aren't bridged. The only problem is it doesn't offer much to make fun of or exaggerate for a storyline, but then I don't know much at all about what goes on out there either. From what I've read, it's not a hugely violent area. But hey, R* is plenty creative, they could make up their own big crime organization.

Hell, whatever happens, we need more garage space. I got back into the game recently after a long break from it to discover all these awesome new cars. Just modded the Hakosuka Skyline look-alike (so now Michael's home garage is all JDM with that and the Levin! You can tell the guys at Rockstar are true enthusiasts with the mod options they give us, so cool!), and now my third-gen Firebird needs a home... I like everything I have in my big garage, this sucks.

I know this isn't the right thread for this, but it occurred to be that Cuba would be a fantastic, timely location to set a GTA game.

Cuba is coming out of a long dark isolation with the US. It's a very transitional period as trade barriers are beginning to be lifted and the modern world seeps in. It could be a wonderful mix of themes from RDR and GTA V. And the location...oh wow.

I know this isn't the right thread for this, but it occurred to be that Cuba would be a fantastic, timely location to set a GTA game.

Cuba is coming out of a long dark isolation with the US. It's a very transitional period as trade barriers are beginning to be lifted and the modern world seeps in. It could be a wonderful mix of themes from RDR and GTA V. And the location...oh wow.

Would certainly evoke fond memories of Driver 2 as well.

Hell, whatever happens, we need more garage space. I got back into the game recently after a long break from it to discover all these awesome new cars. Just modded the Hakosuka Skyline look-alike (so now Michael's home garage is all JDM with that and the Levin! You can tell the guys at Rockstar are true enthusiasts with the mod options they give us, so cool!), and now my third-gen Firebird needs a home... I like everything I have in my big garage, this sucks.
hqg-65.gif

Seriously, this is the most impressive line-up of vehicles in GTA, & they only give you 12 extra spaces between the 3 characters. All the extra garages in Online could have easily been implemented in Single Player. 👎

It probably won't be GTA but R*'s next game won't release until 2017 and we may hear or see what their next game is at E3.

You were correct :) Personally I think that there will be a lot more cars to choose from from all different decades, but particularly newer cars... Which immediately cuts out the chance of VI being set in the 80s or 90s imo. The more of everything GTA adds, the happier I'll be as long as the quality remains.

Apologies for the Necro but it is an interesting topic.

I've been thinking a GTA 6 would take place in Vice City and the surrounding area. Featuring the Everglades, the Florida Keys, and perhaps even Cape Canaveral. My idea for a story being a young Cuban immigrant. Fighting to overthrow the Communist regime in Cuba, but had to escape the country with their life (with thay fight and escape being the first mission in the game). Once they are in America, they have to try to find a way to try to get their family into America as well. Having to work for drug cartels and crooked cops to accomplish it.

If it takes place in San Fierro, an entire representation of NoCal would be interesting, with the MC being a Chinese immigrant. Dealing with human and drug trafficking.

If it's Las Venturas, perhaps an undercover cop working to discover who is robbing the various Casinos in LV. Along the way being disillusioned with the crooked police force, and recognising the supposed 'bad guys' aren't that bad compared to the Casino owners, who are breaking more laws and robbing civilians blind. But the police does nothing about it because the Casinos pay them off. A Robin Hood-esque story. Would also allow for some screwing around with the government due to the proximity of Area 51.

A fourth idea would be a fictional version of London, circa 1967. The MC being a Cockney/Geordie street thug that wants more in life. Perhaps even being based on the entirety of South England.

I hope it doesn't do Vice City. It is a bit of a boring map now to be honest.

I am interested in the Tokyo speculation (who would have guessed? :P ) but it would be a new direction.

As for time wise. I think it will stick with modern day like the rest of the HD universe.

True but it just feels like it wouldn't be a great thing to expand on.
Outside Vice City, they could have the Florida Keys and the western coast of Florida and maybe something like the Bahamas. It could be a mix of humidity, cynicism and urban decay with a southern Gothic vibe and vodou and Creole influences.

Why isn't it based in Great Britain? Add the Ferry and tunnel to France.

All the different cars, buses, violence, old architecture, castles, art heists, snow, etc.
Tokyo has all that as it is.

Australia would be pretty much what GTA V looks like now.

I remember playing the 2d GTA, plenty of fun back then. Don't know why they abandoned England.

Back