Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters
I don't watch them at all. This just popped up in my facebook news feed so figured I would post it. Who knows how accurate it is, that's the only site reporting it.

For my speculation, I think it will likely be a rehash of modern Vice City. However, I would love to see it take place in either Tokyo, or perhaps use one, or a group of Caribbean Islands. Even Hawaii would be a real cool location. If we could go back some, I think turn of the century New York or Boston areas would be really cool too. Start out as a fresh off the boat Irish immigrant. Maybe even close to 1920's. Rocking the old style cars, have rum runner missions, dealing with mafia's and so on.
Japan and Hawaii would be really good though. Using a not to size representation of Japan, and getting a few big cities in there, like Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, and/or Kumamoto would be awesome, or spanning the islands of Hawaii, where boats would be more than just an after thought. Both have enough scenery, crime and high population to make either really good choices I think.

To me, San Andreas seems bigger than GTA V. I bet Rockstar could get away with globe trotting. Do Liberty or Vice City, London, Tokyo, Sydney, Brasil, Cairo.

To me, San Andreas seems bigger than GTA V. I bet Rockstar could get away with globe trotting. Do Liberty or Vice City, London, Tokyo, Sydney, Brasil, Cairo.
I know it's a long time since this post. But maybe an idea would be to have a huge map with some elements of South America, elements of the USA and elements of the UK.

Themes would be able to include things like drug smuggling into the US via plane or whatever other means and smuggling guns into the UK.

Rallywagon mentioned Vice City, but I got a way to make it seem more interesting: do the equivalent of the Florida Keys alongside VC, and then add Cuba as well. Running contraband from Cuba would be fun.

Rallywagon mentioned Vice City, but I got a way to make it seem more interesting: do the equivalent of the Florida Keys alongside VC, and then add Cuba as well. Running contraband from Cuba would be fun.
This would be a cool idea. The only reason I’d like to see VC revisited is just to see how Rockstar would recreate Miami and surrounding locations.

Los Santos still awes me at times.

This would be a cool idea. The only reason I’d like to see VC revisited is just to see how Rockstar would recreate Miami and surrounding locations.

Los Santos still awes me at times.

Miami can only be done in conjunction with Havana. There is no other way.

I've been saying this for, apparently, years. I think Miami alone would be pretty boring....it's too damn flat.

Dan
With a map based on Miami in the size of GTA V’s San Andreas, there’s nothing stopping them from adding in the Everglades and/or fictional mountain ranges to diversify the terrain.

That would be pretty fictional. :lol:

Attachments

• florida.JPG
    florida.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 46
My instinct would be to say "Depends on how successful the RDR2 launch is." Although, there will be less overlap between the GTA and RDR markets than other R* titles experienced in the past, so the expected success of RDR2 likely will not preclude the need for continued development of the GTA series.

That said, I am not sure we are even within two years of a new GTA title. The current one has been seemingly more successful in recent years despite being a patch of band-aids, which certainly doesn't motivate capital investment in its replacement.

In summary, until player data suggests GTA popularity is falling off I doubt we will hear much of anything about the next edition and I don't think RDR2 is going to cause an appreciable drop in player numbers. Furthermore, R* has a terrible record of keeping secrets, and most new GTA titles are leaked years ahead. I think it's going to be a long while, but I could be wrong.

So what are we thinking will be the first sneak peek? E3 2019? Sometime late next year?

Considering R*, it will be on a cold, snowy Thursday in December.

That said, I am not sure we are even within two years of a new GTA title. The current one has been seemingly more successful in recent years despite being a patch of band-aids, which certainly doesn't motivate capital investment in its replacement.

Not only that, but I have a feeling that R* considers RDR to be the series where most people are going to be enjoying the story more then anything else, so I doubt that people are going to be running to RDR2 and leaving GTAV a ghost town.

GTA IV was announced in May 2006 & GTA V was announced in October 2011 officially, but an early announcement next year would likely be considered too close to RDR2's release in October. Whatever the case, going by GTA IV & V's official announcements, there will likely be a 2-year gap following the first announcement (IV was 2006 & released 2008, V was 2011 & released 2013). The same has been done with RDR2 with the first announcement back in 2016.

One question is how much development has been done so far. V reportedly started development in April 2008 right after IV & as seen, took 5.5 years to release. One could assume VI has started development in a similar frame of 2014 with some of the team working on GTAO. However, a majority of the team has likely been working as support for RDR2. In the past, Rockstar North was the primary GTA developer where as RDR1 was handled by Rockstar San Diego. After that, the 2 have basically merged with Max Payne 3 as a joint venture, San Diego as the support developer for GTA V, and now North vice versa.

With that the case, that means North & San Diego will have taken 5 years to get RDR2 out the door following both studios' last release; V. If this trend were to continue, it could possibly mean another 5 years til' VI in 2023, likely leading to an official announcement in 2021. But, I think in the time since 2013 & now, there has been some sort of work done, possibly a layout of what they want from the game and the story being written whilst the dev. team works on RDR2 & TakeTwo's CEO claiming GTAO still had more content coming. Therefore, I would more realistically place a release of 2022 & an official announcement in 2020. I think 2019 is going to be a year full of San Diego's team concentrating their effort on GTA with a small team running first-year support for RDR2 and all its microtransaction-filled DLC.

My instinct would be to say "Depends on how successful the RDR2 launch is." Although, there will be less overlap between the GTA and RDR markets than other R* titles experienced in the past, so the expected success of RDR2 likely will not preclude the need for continued development of the GTA series.

In summary, until player data suggests GTA popularity is falling off I doubt we will hear much of anything about the next edition and I don't think RDR2 is going to cause an appreciable drop in player numbers. Furthermore, R* has a terrible record of keeping secrets, and most new GTA titles are leaked years ahead. I think it's going to be a long while, but I could be wrong.

I think I disagree with you. The GTA online updates are being handled by probably a very small crew, compared to the full GTA team. For example, there have been no significant map/architecture modifications even after dozens of updates and the writing is quite simplistic. Small crew + GIANT revenue means a lot of profit. If they are not sinking this into R&D for the next title, I would be very, very surprised. I don't know precisely how Rockstar structures their staff, but I imagine RDR has a separate team. If I were to guess, I would say that Rockstar is hard at work on at least the core elements of the next GTA. (things like location research & modeling, writing, etc)

Yeah, this is an old thread, but here's my take.

GT VI should (and will) take place in Vice City. Rockstar is talented in how they do America in a satirical way, and that some of that feel will be lost if they choose another setting, like London.

And with Liberty City and Los Santos getting expanded HD versions, it only seems fitting for Vice City to get similar treatment, as well.

I'm very confident in that GTA VI will take place in modern day Vice City, to the point that I'm willing to bet real money on it.

Yeah, this is an old thread, but here's my take.

GT VI should (and will) take place in Vice City. Rockstar is talented in how they do America in a satirical way, and that some of that feel will be lost if they choose another setting, like London.

And with Liberty City and Los Santos getting expanded HD versions, it only seems fitting for Vice City to get similar treatment, as well.

I'm very confident in that GTA VI will take place in modern day Vice City, to the point that I'm willing to bet real money on it.

From a perspective of precedent, Vice City makes a lot of sense.

However, I'm not sure how relevant Miami is in the present day. It's certainly a lively city, but Rockstar has a habit of making it's games timely & relevant. GTA: SA and GTA: VC were both set in time periods that allowed them to write a narrative around the character of the time and place. I'm not sure what kind of narrative you could eek out of Miami version 2019. Being realistic with all of the assets they've built from GTA Online, I think the next game will be set in present day again. Including Cuba may, maybe push the location into a depth of character sufficient for a GTA Title.

They've done New York recently, and San Francisco is likely too close to LA, so it's hard to say which location is being developed. Chicago probably doesn't have enough pop-cache to build into a relatable game for most people, same with Seattle, or anywhere in Texas. Maybe DC? Maybe Las Vegas? Detroit & the rest of the Rust belt are intriguing politically & culturally, but I doubt many gamers would find much enjoyment in the post industrial malaise of the midwest.

There would be a lot of cultural nuance either lost or simply not perceptible for most people, but GTA Istanbul (fictionalize the name, obviously), if set in the present day, would be absolutely incredible I think.

I don't know, I still think Miami would be more interesting today than anywhere else in the country. Other than maybe Las Vegas.

I don't know, I still think Miami would be more interesting today than anywhere else in the country. Other than maybe Las Vegas.

If it's Miami/Vice, I would hope they put a strong emphasis on the water. Seaplanes, offshore powerboats and reasons to use them.

For me the next GTA should be join all known cities and states that we have seen all over the GTA universe. (Los Santos State, Vice City State and San Andreas state). It would been fantastic to travel all over these places!!!!

For me the next GTA should be join all known cities and states that we have seen all over the GTA universe. (Los Santos State, Vice City State and San Andreas state). It would been fantastic to travel all over these places!!!!

In theory yes. But every game I can think of that has tried to capture this kind of scale (The Crew, No Man's Sky, Fuel, etc) has failed miserably. I would rather have a concise, well developed, detailed, and considered game world. Even San Andreas felt stretched too-thin when it included 3 major cities. San Andreas' San Fierro was pretty bad. Me personally, I don't even like movies that jump around from city to city....it's start to feel like set dressing rather than a real location.

In theory yes. But every game I can think of that has tried to capture this kind of scale (The Crew, No Man's Sky, Fuel, etc) has failed miserably. I would rather have a concise, well developed, detailed, and considered game world. Even San Andreas felt stretched too-thin when it included 3 major cities. San Andreas' San Fierro was pretty bad. Me personally, I don't even like movies that jump around from city to city....it's start to feel like set dressing rather than a real location.
All of those were built from scratch though. For this they could use what they already have from IV and V, then add Vice City in, then just make each one accessible only by way of water and air. You wouldn't be able to see one map from another but a time jump in an airplane or a cruise ship would be fine with me.

It's probably easily doable, the question is how much detail gets added or dropped? I've seen people already rip on V because we can't enter a whole bunch of buildings or do certain activities. This is talking about multiplying what LS has by 3, which would not only include a brand new Vice City but an updated Liberty City (which is now 10 years old). I'm sure LS would also have some updates since it's 5 years old itself and Rockstar is just using what's already there for Online additions.

I don't think this wish is going to ever be accomplished without Rockstar having a fresh drawing board for all 3 locations. Everyone is already well familiar with LS, most of us more than likely remember LC as it stands in IV, so a lot of time would likely be spent exploring VC or whatever. I've also read a lot of folks ready to start fresh with VI's online (mainly meaning no meme machines), so if they're gonna bring back LS, nothing to stop them from bringing back all that comes with it b/c you know folks are going to ask, "Well, if LS is back, I'd like all my current stats with it to return too".

I still personally think Vice is a strong contender for the next game as well. Vice had a really strong following for what it brought and I'm betting a ton of people want to see it enter the current generation. Rockstar changed San Andreas up by having 1 giant city and the outlands with a couple towns, it would be interesting to see how they would recreate "Miami" and its surroundings in whatever fictional state they would conjure up for it (seeing as LC was in State of Liberty & LS was in State of San Andreas).

Latest Posts

Back