Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters
United States
Florida
SilvWolf22
GTAVI.png

With the recent news of GTA VI officially being developed, I figured it ok to open a thread. This topic will gain more response and traction in time of course as new information is released but for now:​

• Where do you think will be the setting for the new game?

I'll keep this poll up until new news comes out, but please feel free to discuss anything else you want about GTA VI... I think this should help keep things separate from the GTA V thread

ORDER OF EVENTS

March 25, 2016 - Sources confirm that work on a new GTA game has begun. The same sources also mention that Rockstar (used as R* from here out), had scouted Tokyo as a setting between the time of GTA III and GTA: Vice City. No further details are available at this time.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/rockstar-came-close-to-making-grand-theft-auto-tokyo-1317622

Last edited:
I wanted to see the rural-ish GTA game Rockstar had said they were kicking around before they went with GTA IV.

I hadn't heard of this. I would like that as well, but it seems they keep trying to expand the map further so I don't know how far they could take that.

EDIT: I guess they sort of added some rural-ness too GTA V with the whole desert area

VXR
I think it needs to be set somewhere new. Even in a different time period. There's plenty of satirical gold around any 20th century era.

I agree but wouldn't this time period almost make it like The Mafia games? I'm hoping for something more in the Vice City era, but to be quite honest, I really only see them keeping up with present time due to the nature of GTA and it's reliance on keeping current.

I wouldn't mind a return to an expanded San Andreas, especially if it included San Fierro and Las Venturas, but that said we're overdue a visit to Florida.

Modern day Vice City/Miami wouldn't be very interesting IMO and making it 80s again wouldn't be so fresh, it'd be more like a remake. I think it is time for a brand new area rather than just recycling Liberty/San Andreas/Vice again. I think they'll stick with the US, anything else wouldn't really feel like GTA in the modern gaming era. London only worked back in the day because of the graphics style and overall lack of complexity.

A fictional Seattle-based City could be interesting, you'd have a few good landmarks with water and islands, plenty of crime and a good general mix of areas. Also plenty of scope for satire.

An area of Mexico and one big City could also work.

Cuba would be an interesting wildcard choice. Huge potential there for GTA style stuff and it's a natural island.

I think they'll probably play it safer though and do either San Fierro or Las Venturas areas again. I hope not though.

DK
I wouldn't mind a return to an expanded San Andreas, especially if it included San Fierro and Las Venturas, but that said we're overdue a visit to Florida.

As a Florida Native, I would LOVE to see that happen again in the form of a Modern Vice City. But my first preference would be someplace totally new unless they have the capabilities to do an entire N. America, which while I'm hopeful... I seriously doubt will happen.

Modern day Vice City/Miami wouldn't be very interesting IMO and making it 80s again wouldn't be so fresh, it'd be more like a remake. I think it is time for a brand new area rather than just recycling Liberty/San Andreas/Vice again. I think they'll stick with the US, anything else wouldn't really feel like GTA in the modern gaming era. London only worked back in the day because of the graphics style and overall lack of complexity.

A fictional Seattle-based City could be interesting, you'd have a few good landmarks with water and islands, plenty of crime and a good general mix of areas. Also plenty of scope for satire.

An area of Mexico and one big City could also work.

Cuba would be an interesting wildcard choice. Huge potential there for GTA style stuff and it's a natural island.

I think they'll probably play it safer though and do either San Fierro or Las Venturas areas again. I hope not though.

Seattle would be interesting. My wife's family lives there and they do have plenty to go off of.

Now your suggestions on Mexico or Cuba are huge! Never considered places like those, but that would allow for a whole new perspective we haven't seen yet

As a Florida Native, I would LOVE to see that happen again in the form of a Modern Vice City. But my first preference would be someplace totally new unless they have the capabilities to do an entire N. America, which while I'm hopeful... I seriously doubt will happen.

Seattle would be interesting. My wife's family lives there and they do have plenty to go off of.

Now your suggestions on Mexico or Cuba are huge! Never considered places like those, but that would allow for a whole new perspective we haven't seen yet

Mexico would certainly interesting if, god forbid, President Trump happens. They could have a version of his wall with a small town on the US side, having missions going over the wall, under it, blowing it up. :lol:

Mexico would certainly interesting if, god forbid, President Trump happens. They could have a version of his wall with a small town on the US side, having missions going over the wall, under it, blowing it up. :lol:

Lmao! Comment of the day right here :lol: I could only imagine the jokes R* would have on Trump figuring the game was set in present time.

I want VI to be set in Vice City, only because GTA III was set in Liberty City, VC in Vice City and SA in San Andreas. After that we've had IV in Liberty City and V in San Andreas. We need Vice City to complete the circle!

I think I'd be okay with the series returning to its roots and going to London. We haven't seen that at all in the last two decades. London, or hell, I'd be up for something in the nation's capital or in a place like Texas where it's close to Mexico. They relied on it a bit in GTA V, why not go all out on it for the follow up?

GTA VI should go back to Vice City. Liberty City's been done to death and V rejigged San Andreas to focus around Los Santos.
This. I also think Miami should be added to the poll. 👍

A much larger, highly detailed version of Vice City would be completely insane and welcomed!

VXR
Cuba definitely sounds like a great setting. Some nice new possibilities.

Agreed! Not to mention where the story could go.

This. I also think Miami should be added to the poll. 👍

A much larger, highly detailed version of Vice City would be completely insane and welcomed!

Has been added :)

My ONLY concern with a Vice City remake/setting, is I don't know if they would include planes/helicopters in a map that honestly couldn't be very large unless they were to expand beyond Miami?

Last edited:
My ONLY concern with a Vice City remake/setting, is I don't know if they would include planes/helicopters in a map that honestly couldn't be very large unless they were to expand beyond Miami?
Wasn't the original Vice City the first game to include helicopters?

Wasn't the original Vice City the first game to include helicopters?

I think it was actually. But I just remain paranoid of smaller map types after GTA IV's excluding of airplanes. To me they play an essential role in the games even if I don't always use them.

I've mentioned it before, but I remember reading somewhere that Rockstar could never do it (politics I think), but I still believe a GTA set in Rio De Janeiro would be epic.

It has a good mix of beauty and colour. Rich living within spitting distance of poverty. Corrupt police enforcement (the Bope). Beaches, airports, carnival. High rise architecture, the Favelas. Kite flying would be cool too.

map_rio_de_janeiro.jpg

I've mentioned it before, but I remember reading somewhere that Rockstar could never do it (politics I think), but I still believe a GTA set in Rio De Janeiro would be epic.

It has a good mix of beauty and colour. Rich living within spitting distance of poverty. Corrupt police enforcement (the Bope). Beaches, airports, carnival. High rise architecture, the Favelas. Kite flying would be cool too.

map_rio_de_janeiro.jpg

That would be a great setting! Actually it's quite similar to what we have now, but would still allow for a change up. I could be wrong as I have never played it, but wasn't one of the games from the Just Cause series set in a loosely based Rio De Jeneiro?

I would expect them to stick with one of the previous locations. R* seems to have expressed their desire to stay with US locations as the satire of Americans is central to a lot of the appeal and familiar locations provide additional appeal. I could see the possibility of the Chicago or D.C. setting, and while I'd enjoy D.C. quite a bit I see them as far off chances.

When I stick with thinking about US cities, there aren't many that offer the geographic variety that rivals Southern California. With a Miami location you'll be giving up pretty much all offroading in the game save for swamping, as you will lose access to much rural and mountainous areas we currently enjoy. The Everglades are cool, but while most people don't realise; San Andreas incorporates over two dozen natural local, state, and national parks with a wide variety of landscapes and geography. Walking along the Palisades at sundown, hiking Gaviota, and tripping in Joshua Tree would all be memories. Considering these and other factors, I would expect an updated San Andreas including Las Venturas and San Fierro to be much more likely than many of the alternatives. Don't get me wrong I would love being able to hop a water taxi on Hibiscus Ave and cruise the canals touring Al Capone's house or steal a Lambo from The Toy Store, but I'm not sure the area is diverse enough to generate the enthusiasm and staying power of San Andreas.

In all honesty, the technology now exists where they could create a much larger world, possibly including cities separated by vast distances. The potential exists for the current map to remain largely intact in the LA basin, but you drive northeast for several minutes through the desert and arrive in Venturas. Or run up the coast past Big Sur and over the Bixby Creek Bridge(Rat's Canyon) for 10 minutes at speed and you arrive south of the Bay Area. Perhaps you can cross the bridge and head up to Humboldt and grab a fresh bag. You could head to any major airport, and book a flight to an upgraded version of Vice City or Liberty City, grab a car at the airport and continue your vacation/trip. All of these are possible with the current technology and current map sizes. As such, I'd expect either a massively enlarged version of San Andreas or a world that included other cities as well. Another map of the size and detail that we are used to since 2005 and the original San Andreas(which was actually far more geographically diverse than GTAV and far further ahead of its time) would not be pushing the limits of the technology as they have always done.

In short, I expect big things and R* has set some lofty expectations for everyone. They've yet to really *disappoint* in that regards, so I don't expect them to this time.

As annoying as it would be to some, I think the most timely place to set GTA VI would be San Fierro. Unless they change the time period, San Francisco is *the* city of the present moment, for good and for bad. Vice City would be very boring in any other time period than the 1980s. Liberty City has been done recently. A Chicago fascmile has not yet been done, but I'm not sure there is enough depth there for a proper setting. San Fierro, in the very least, has to be one of the top contenders.

I would love to take out some frustration and cause mayhem to fictional tech companies...

For those suggesting it's the whole US I would hope Rockstars knows better than to pursue that. It would never work and they'd lose the polished focus all of the games have had.

The only other location that has as much going on right now, and has enough universal recognition (their entire story arc, satire, etc relies on people essentially understanding the basics and some of the cultural-political-social intricacies of the location) besides NYC is London. But London still isn't as loaded as San Francisco.

San Francisco has three incredibly diverse cities very close to each other. San Francisco is the dense urban metropolis with staggeringly ridiculous headlines every day ($3600/mo avg rent, out of control homeless, techies everywhere, violence everywhere, enormous building boom, Elon Musk, Marc Benioff, Apple, Air BnB, Uber, etc etc), Oakland is the quickly-gentrifying town that is one part hipster, one part gangster, plus it has the blue collar component of the Port of Oakland. And San Jose is this weird ambiguous tech factory. North Bay has all of the wineries and small towns. The central valley is a short drive away. The immediate geography is stunning and arguably more varied than Southern California. The BAY. I honestly can't think of a better location (even counting ones that have already been done) for a GTA game than the bay area. Even the shape of it is conducive to a GTA game. With next gen systems, they could probably get close to a 1:1 representation of it if they chose to.

If GTA is meant to be a strong critique of western culture, San Francisco is the best place to place that critique at the present moment.

Last edited:
Judging from @Eunos_Cosmo 's explaination, I too think that San Fierro has a pretty damn decent appeal for the next game. However, doesn't Miami also have the violence aspect and so on? With the Everglades you could bring in a decent destination for off-roading and generally offering the same variety as Los Santos does.

I'd honestly think a homage to GTA being a British game originally and bringing it back to London is in order. Have American charecters try to make it as British gangstas.

My vote is for Japan, because I'm filthy weeaboo trash...

Nah, just kidding. It's because there aren't a whole lot of great virtual open world renditions of Japan, with Yakuza pretty much the only good modern example of it being done halfway decently. But even then, I'd like to see more than just the busy urban areas... open world Tokyo that also extended into more rural areas would be amazing. I think Rockstar could deliver in that regard.

In any case, after so many British and American flavored GTA entries, I think it's time to switch it up and do something a little more exotic. Plus it will provide the team a challenge that doesn't simply amount to making everything bigger & better... They're probably not going to be able to top GTA V much in that regard.

...In all honesty, the technology now exists where they could create a much larger world, possibly including cities separated by vast distances. The potential exists for the current map to remain largely intact in the LA basin, but you drive northeast for several minutes through the desert and arrive in Venturas. Or run up the coast past Big Sur and over the Bixby Creek Bridge(Rat's Canyon) for 10 minutes at speed and you arrive south of the Bay Area. Perhaps you can cross the bridge and head up to Humboldt and grab a fresh bag. You could head to any major airport, and book a flight to an upgraded version of Vice City or Liberty City, grab a car at the airport and continue your vacation/trip. All of these are possible with the current technology and current map sizes. As such, I'd expect either a massively enlarged version of San Andreas or a world that included other cities as well. Another map of the size and detail that we are used to since 2005 and the original San Andreas(which was actually far more geographically diverse than GTAV and far further ahead of its time) would not be pushing the limits of the technology as they have always done.

In short, I expect big things and R* has set some lofty expectations for everyone. They've yet to really *disappoint* in that regards, so I don't expect them to this time.

I know this is a large expectation, but I almost wonder if they are planning to, or have the capabilities to do something as vast as an entire USA? It's not impossible to have these cities separated by vast differences as you said; I mean even The Crew is a rough layout of the United States. Only problem I see is how they can still make it as engaging or as populated as previous entries. Perhaps they could do something regional? Maybe a California coast/mountain ranges merging into an Oregon/ Washington atmosphere?

Here is a picture of The Crew's map for reference. I only played it a little bit when I had it and most the map felt very lifeless aside from major cities.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back