GTEs are Ace, but Aces drive GTOs, from Monday 6th November

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 160 comments
What is it you're drinking this evening? 😉
It was from the back of the drinks cabinet. I should have known something was up when I reached in to pick it up and saw it stubbing out its fag before getting up and strolling over to meet my hand.

Nice. Something well matured then.

I seem to have started the Christmas period early because I'm currently going through a liquor phase. I've just finished a bottle of advocaat and a Bailey's like substitute. Not all in one go, I might add. I've got another couple of bottles with interesting coloured liquid to go.

I thought you brits up there in your isle only drank fine wines/liquors from this old peninsula, like sherry (Jerez, sounds ... uh ... similar) and port (Porto). Be warned, Dutch and Irish drinks can have lasting consequences on you driving, and other, abilities! :D

Hello chaps, I have to say that I'm delighted that my 'made it up in a hurry' scoring system has led to such elevated conversation. The generous points offered in connection with qualifying does seem like a mistake now, or at least has spread the field to a greater degree than I had imagined. I put it there because I considered the strikes system, which pushed people rapidly towards the GTO abyss, to be a heavy penalty.

And so it did appear to be at Mugello, where the GTEs had a mighty advantage... as they do, as Mario rightly predicted, at Brno where their lap times easily destroy those of the GTOs. So, on to Paul's suggestion; Imola. I don't know if he knew that it was a much better choice, equality-wise, and was far too polite to say "listen you *&%£-head, use IMOLA!", but, it really is. Which is strange, because my sessions there in a GTO and GTE were seperated by a few hours, and when I attacked it in the GTE that car danced around the circuit in such a beautiful fashion that it felt miles faster than the GTO had. However, in the end they were just two seconds apart. Amazing.

So, what I'm saying is, Monday's racing will be at Imola
. Another change is, that I have turned off tyre and fuel usage, to keep the performance of the cars consistent. In that mode they never overheat, so the date will be in August, in which case they heat up quickly, without degrading at all.

Imola, an equality circuit, but a tricky one at first, so GET PRACTICING!

I must ask raeggee for some compensation, considering the amount of phonecalls I'm doing to keep him updated! :D

Imola it is then. I have to say that two nights ago I met with reaggee for some Brno lapping (I think it's when I sent you an invite also @Zolon32 ) and he found it to be more difficult to overtake the GTO field (not only me but also AIs at 100/100 ) than he recalled from Mugello, but indeed once he got ahead it was over.

I'm not sure about the quali points not being a good idea (I know I know I am the greatest beneficiary from this), I think it added an oportunity for everyone to get points and the fact that it counted for Ace status (as a "strike") evened out things. The first to collect those points were quicker to be "promoted" to GTO cars and once this happened they were out of contention for quali points.

Of course it's my "fault" that I amassed three poles in the 1st three races, but I have to point out that all of them were in a full GTE field, so it was indeed an all out battle for those points. And I hope to be back in contention for those once we get a full GTO field (which I expect to happen by race 3 next monday, with the exception of Oldbass and beachboy).

If the handicap works as it should by next monday's end we will have a tight field at the front (points wise) and all of the 6 contenders driving GTOs for the remaining legs (I'm assuming we will do 9, so there's still 4 to go) of the championship. Should be fun! 👍

It'll be just down to bad luck I expect, but for some reason I'll probably going to finish 3rd in every race from now on. And I'm never very good at qualifying. 😏

Not sure if I've already mentioned this fellas, but the weather at Imola is going to be scorching, but the tyres won't suffer at all because tyre wear is turned off.

The races will be 8 laps, 12 laps and 12 laps.

Track limits are on, but the Race Director seems to be very lenient, especially at the final chicane where, if your car can handle it, mullering the kerbs is entirely possible without risk of a penalty. Good luck.

And a quick word about the nature of Imola, for those who haven't been able to get in much practice. I am finding that the key to good, and crucially, consistent lap times, is to slow down much earlier than your instincts are telling you to. This particularly relevant for.... well, almost all of the corners, to be honest. Indeed, most of the time I find it best to begin my braking phase much, much (for the benefit of those for whom England isn't their first language, mucho, mucho) earlier than my instincts are telling me.

And you know me, I'm an early braker. I get to work for eight, and by ten past I'm on my first break. But that's a different story.

Last edited:
My quick recap. Results aren't in yet but I have some of it by memory and best to publish before I forget entirely what happened! ;)

I had a Brno practise session with raeggee early last week, but no Imola, so I went in a bit cold. However, the short time we had before the start of quali was iluminating. The Nissan LM I was familiar with and Imola didn't stand out as particularly tricky for that car (found Brno more difficult TBH)

I don't remember much about quali, don't even know where I placed (I do remember raeggee did pole, xeronima 2nd IIRC) but I noticed how close the times were for the entire field, something that wouldn't be possible at Brno.

Race 1 - Finished well down the order, but it was an ok race. I knew the GTO field would grow last night and so it happened that raeggee and xero were the first to fall into our Ace company. Solid drives everywhere, no big surprises.

Race 2 - The reverse grid (plus less two GTE cars in the field) could give me a chance but then 2 things happened: 1) Ricardo (@GTP_RPREGO ) crashed from 1st and I, going 2nd, crashed into him. By the end of lap 1 I was last :indiff: 2) for some odd reason my car wasn't the Nissan LM, it was the NIssan IMSA. And I don't know what it is that makes them different, but THEY ARE! And I had the most frustraing race fighting a car that was almost the one I knew, but that almost part threw me off many times. I thing I ended the race in penultimate place (I guess @IfAndOr wanted pole position for the last race ... :D ) and about 40 seconds behind the leader (@half_sourly, promoted to Ace there and then ;) )!

Race 3 - Return of the LM, and my first victory in a GTO. In a stunning turn of fortune, and driving the proper car this time, I somehow managed to overtake Paul's BMW at the end of the long start/finish straight, and from that point on I even managed a healthy lead over the field. Come the last few laps I went maybe a bit too cautious and my lead diminished to about 2 or 3 seconds, but it was worth it, I was getting nervous with the fear of wrecking anoher race!

All in all, a good night, with its ups and downs as it should be. 👍

(not sure about standings, raeggee must have collected an impressive haul of points so maybe he leads now, I'll wait @half_sourly 's verdict table!)

Last edited:
I had quite the eventful start of my GTO career. I decided to take it easy in the turbo charged Ferrari F40 and just let the phase come to me. After a few laps I had a bit of an oversteer on the downhill breaking section before the main straight. I had too loose a grip on the wheel which snapped loose and cracked my left hand. I tried driving but had to give up after half a lap. The wrist continued to compliment me on my driving throughout Tuesday 😂 I won't get much practice for Brno so I expect I'll be chilling at the back on Monday

I had quite the eventful start of my GTO career. I decided to take it easy in the turbo charged Ferrari F40 and just let the phase come to me. After a few laps I had a bit of an oversteer on the downhill breaking section before the main straight. I had too loose a grip on the wheel which snapped loose and cracked my left hand. I tried driving but had to give up after half a lap. The wrist continued to compliment me on my driving throughout Tuesday 😂 I won't get much practice for Brno so I expect I'll be chilling at the back on Monday

On the other hand (pun intended :D ) you're posting twice the usual amount of words!

Kidding aside, sorry to hear that, from what I hear Fanatec wheels, if you like strong Force Feedback (as I do) can really snap under extreme situations (uncontrolled oversteer and spins) and deliver some pain to one's hands/wrists. Hope you ger back soon. And from what I read yesterday on PSN (written by @Zolon32 ) don't bother with Brno, we're heading to Watkins Glen instead.

Last edited:
I don't know who suggested Imola, rubbish track. 😄
(Perhaps it was just my car's. Or me)

Next week I thought we were racing at Brnokins Den or Watno Ben?
Wherever it is I'm looking forward to cruise around in my GTE.

They can whizz around these DD wheels!
On my Logi DD I have quite high dampener and filter settings to help reduce the sudden kicks that PC2 produces. Still have to hold on. 🙂

Hey Paul, who's that Zero guy that can't drive the aston and the Bmw? Reading the Aston list I thought it was a typo when you meant to write "Xero", but then I noticed neither Xero nor Zero can drive the BMW, so ... who's that guy?

Btw, just a heads up, you updated the "cars you cant drive " GTE and GTO lists and also the "strikes" list but forgot to update the "ace drivers" one.

Who's that guy? I have zero knowledge about that.

Btw, just a heads up, you updated the "cars you cant drive " GTE and GTO lists and also the "strikes" list but forgot to update the "ace drivers" one.
I'll get onto it. This secretary's job is more involved than I thought. And I keep getting suggestive comments from the boss. 🫣

The boss is bothering you? Tell him to bugger off or he'll have to talk to these guys!

In a different matter ... tell me what did Xero do to get banned TWICE from driving the BMW! :eek:

tell me what did Xero do to get banned TWICE from driving the BMW
No that's Xero and his doppelganger Zero. They can't use any BMW anytime ever again.

Damn, you're to sharp eyed, I'll get onto that as well!
During the edit it might accidentally change to where you can only use the Lamborghini. 😉

I'll get to the scores later. In the meantime, the opening post suggests this was a 5-round event. If there are more rounds, would be good to have confirmation of where it will be @Zolon32 so that I for a change can practice. Flying off the track 10 times in round 1 every week as I find my feet is getting old!

Agreed. IIRC we're supposed to go to 9 rounds, that means 3 are left. Assuming Watkins Glen is round 7, and Brno is round 8, I vote we finish in the States, using either Road America or Willow Springs for round 8, both have a bit of everything and are challenging tracks.

Last edited:
Results from round 6.

Qualifying:
1702483097792.png

Race 1:
Screenshot_20231211-203940_RSDash.jpg

Race 2:
Screenshot_20231211-212255_RSDash.jpg

Race 3:
Screenshot_20231211-220113_RSDash.jpg

Standings:
1702483068272.png

Well, it wouldn't be "Totally Disorganised Racing" if we had any definitive answers to such questions as "How many rounds are there?" or "Where are the races going to take place?"

However, the figure of nine rounds sounds good to me, meaning that we have Watsup Glen?, Bruno (the former world champion and pantomime dame) and... Rodeo America to go. I think we'll have to stick a Christmas break in there somewhere. But that will, of course, be totally disorganised.

Anybody want to open a book on whether Pablo will drag his ass into a GTO by then?

I've just been looking at the GTO banned list, and as I read it I heard Samuel L whispering quite confidentially in my ear. He was saying something along the lines of "Ain't no mother-copulating person of African heritage gonna get me in no Lambo-copulating-ghini." And I'm inclined to agree with him. Were a person to be restricted to that particular mode of transport alone there would be simply no point in turning up; no points, and no fun.

Therefore, I propose (Prepare one's self for further Totally Disorganised absurdity) that anyone who runs out of GTOs other than the Lambo-copulating-ghini, then moves on to Group 5 motors. Even more grunt, even less grip. Let's see how that goes.

It would be fun if we devised a never ending championship starting with the fastest formulas and, from handicap to handicap, ending up with everyone racing go-karts at Le Mans :lol:

Who, what, when, where, why (racing)?

Anybody want to open a book on whether Pablo will drag his ass into a GTO by then?
I'll give you low odds on that. And if he does he says he's going to drive the Lambo just for the hell of it. 🙂
(Could be I've only got a week to do it)

Off topic
What the hell were the spaniards thinking when they changed the "u", or "v", for a "b" ?!?
Portuguese - Paulo
Italian - Paolo
French - Paul
English - Paul
German - Paul or Paulus
Danish -Paul
Dutch - Paulus

Eastern europeans switched the "u" for "v" (Pavel, Pavle, etc) but I can understand that, the romans only had the V letter serving as both the vowel U and the consonant V.

But ... Pablo? What? :dopey:

I like Paulius, it sounds much grander.

Hi there @Napalm_LT, good to "see" you. How's everything going?
I hope you have a lovely festive period. 👍

I think everyone should be called Graham anyway.
450.jpg

Graham is one of those names nobody south of Calais can properly pronounce. GRRA-AMM (french) GARAYAM! (spanish) GUHRAEHAME (portuguese) will come close.

Nahh ... you need a proper name, one of those you spell as you say it, no silent letters or that aspirating hh you guys do.

I vote ... Bruce! ;)

Back