(GTOR) | [GTTCC-3] Gran Turismo Touring Car Championship S3 - xflow1390 takes back to back titles!Finished 

• Thread starter True-blue-8
  • 4,148 comments

Standing or Rolling starts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
but there's the 'tranny trick' if you've come across it?

I thought that was something else ....

He he thanks True :) but I was thinking of some thing in more details :D

I have done something similar to what True is saying, you set the max speed to minimum, final gear to max and then set second gear (I think) and just space everything evenly after that. You then use trial and error and adjustments to the final gear to set your top speed to the circuit. Search the forum for gearbox flip for an explanation from someone who actually knows what they are talking about though.

I'm not afraid to give anything away. I'm happy with anything inside the 1.16s.

1.17.somethings are a more constant.

About the same here, low 17s seem to be the norm and high 16s are a good lap. I haven't really got dialed in yet or found a rhythm but I will be aiming for mid 16s on a good lap and reliable high 16s

About the same here, low 17s seem to be the norm and high 16s are a good lap. I haven't really got dialed in yet or found a rhythm but I will be aiming for mid 16s on a good lap and reliable high 16s

I seem to be on a good/great lap and the last section of corners can take off so much time I dread to think about SM's going into that breaking zone.

I seem to be on a good/great lap and the last section of corners can take off so much time I dread to think about SM's going into that breaking zone.
Yeah, I managed the final turn at a min speed of 75 once, most of the time I struggle to beat 70

He he thanks True :) but I was thinking of some thing in more details :D
This is what I do, and it seems to work effectively!

In car settings, buy the Fully Custom Transmission. Don't touch anything until you've bought all of the power and weight upgrades you want.
When you've done that, go back to your transmission. Set your final gear to about 3 quarters of the way along and set your max speed to minimum.
Leave the max speed alone from now on, and take 1st gear to almost all the way to the left, this leaves some room for you to tweak it with. Do the same with 2nd gear, then try and space each gear out with the gaps getting smaller and smaller. You want your 5th or 6th gear (depending on the car) to be all the way to the right.
Now, set your final gear again so your last gear stretches to about half way along the line on that graph. That should be about right for every car in GTTCC.

Of course, after that, you can always fiddle and tweak with the final gear and 1st gear (somehow that affects every gear :ill: ) until you find what suits you. :)

Just to let you know but I won't be racing tomorrow, Wednesday or Monday week, but will be back for GTTCC at Brands Hatch.

I enjoy Rome, so disappointed to miss it.

Personally I like to adjust the gears individually for the particular track that I'm driving. It gives me better acceleration out of critical corners.

Everyone has their own methods though and you should stick to what you're most comfortable with and can adjust easily.

I'm not convinced that the 'tranny trick' works all that well on gt6, it was something that was discovered in gt5.

Just to let you know but I won't be racing tomorrow, Wednesday or Monday week, but will be back for GTTCC at Brands Hatch.

I enjoy Rome, so disappointed to miss it.
That's fine mate thanks for letting me know 👍

Personally I like to adjust the gears individually for the particular track that I'm driving. It gives me better acceleration out of critical corners.

Everyone has their own methods though and you should stick to what you're most comfortable with and can adjust easily.

I'm not convinced that the 'tranny trick' works all that well on gt6, it was something that was discovered in gt5.
I personally don't like it. Just slap a 'max speed' on is good enough for me :P

I have a slightly different way of tuning the transmission. I think I've told it to a few people and I've had some positive feedback on it so... Very different application to the Praiano "tranny trick" that everyone adopts, but there's a similar principle behind it and the end result looks similar too though. There's a lot less emphasis on the final gear adjustment too, and uses nice round numbers instead of specific percentages.

Been doing some practice last night and today, and I've managed to cut my best lap time down by over half a second. Some very good times I'm seeing though, and no doubt that one of the top runners for this season will trump the time I got in the practice room just now.

Don't be surprised if the top 6 drivers can manage low-mid 1:17's whilst fighting for position, I'll tell you that much. Gives you a hint of what to expect when they run in clean air.

I'm getting regular mid 16s ;)

....actually i might be on later to see if i can crack into the 15s

Caesars wife must be above suspicion

Last edited:
Right, how many are we going to have for tonight then?

I have done some long run testing this morning. Around 2 seconds per lap tyre difference and approx 30 second put lane loss again, a one stop is going to be a fair bit more difficult this week than it was last week.

@True-blue-8 do we have a formal rule now saying you must qualify on the tyres that you start the race on?

I have done some long run testing this morning. Around 2 seconds per lap tyre difference and approx 30 second put lane loss again, a one stop is going to be a fair bit more difficult this week than it was last week.

@True-blue-8 do we have a formal rule now saying you must qualify on the tyres that you start the race on?

I'm in. 👍

Not a fan of that rule though.

I'll be there tonight, hopefully. 👍

Well True didn't want people doing it last week.

I know that BTCC don't do an endurance series but they do all Q on the same tyre and then use the option tyre whenever they like.

1) It's practcally impossible to police.
2) It removes an element of strategy from the race.
3) The penalty for starting on the Medium is realistically, less time to qualify since you have to box on your first lap.

In BTCC they pick when they use the option for whichever 1 of the 3 races they choose to run it. It's a comparison which can't really be applied to an event of this kind. That and there is no tyre restriction of this kind enforced into the main series.

3) The penalty for starting on the Medium is realistically, less time to qualify since you have to box on your first lap.

I am still a little unclear about how this works, if @True-blue-8 allows us to switch tyres after quali would you have to select Mediums in the lobby and then switch to SS at the start of Q or would you have to start Q on Softs and switch to SM's before the race begins?

I am still a little unclear about how this works, if @True-blue-8 allows us to switch tyres after quali would you have to select Mediums in the lobby and then switch to SS at the start of Q or would you have to start Q on Softs and switch to SM's before the race begins?

I'm 99% sure it's the former, but I'll double check it now. 👍
Give me 5-10 minutes.

Yup, it's definitely the former. Which ever compound you select before the sessions being will be the compound you begin both qualifying and the race on, regardless of whether you switch during the qualifying session in a pit-stop.

I'd rather we were made to start on the same tyres that we use to qualify on. Which is what I did last week. I did q on SM and started on them.

If in the btcc a driver elected to use the soft compound for race 1, would they need to use that compound for q too? I'm unsure because no driver has started on the soft compound that I can remember.

if it was an hour qualy session or something then ok

However I prefer to start the race on the same tyre you qualify with. Last week I knew I wanted to start on the hards so I sacrificed my Q for it. You can imagine how annoyed I was when there was the possibility that people had ignored that and changed before the race started

The reason we moved super pole to before race 3 was so people had free choice to start on any tyre for race 2

if it was an hour qualy session or something then ok

However I prefer to start the race on the same tyre you qualify with. Last week I knew I wanted to start on the hards so I sacrificed my Q for it. You can imagine how annoyed I was when there was the possibility that people had ignored that and changed before the race started

The reason we moved super pole to before race 3 was so people had free choice to start on any tyre for race 2

That I understand, but I don't think this is the way to go. People claim that Race 2 is interesting because you see the multiple different strategies come together towards the back end of the race. You don't know where you really stand until the back end of the race.

Like I say, the penalty for starting on the Mediums is less time to put a hot lap in on the option tyre. If you then qualify well and start on the medium, then those drivers on the softs have to make their tyre advantage count.

Personally, if it's not something which is regulated in the FGT series, which is modeled on a series (F1) where your Q tyre is 9/10 your race tyre, I don't see a benefit to regulating it here.

Back