GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 2000-2013 Sony Playstation 2

GTP Alternative Cool Wall: 2000-2013 Sony Playstation 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
contrary to most experiences people have posted here, the PS2 has been the only console I've ever owned that broke down. It was still really cool because I started playing Gran Turismo with 3.

Died after five years of usage. Wonky tray behavior after three years. Haven't fired up the slim PS2 in years. Yet, my original PSX still works. So does my Atari 2600 VCS.

I never bought a PS3: don't want to on deal with updating nonsense and getting berated by ads to buy more crap. Not to start a war, but the PS3 just doesn't graphically blow me away...seems more of an incremental difference, and it largely tossed out backward compatibility. When you're used to your consoles going from Off to Game Time within 30 seconds or less, this annoys me.

But still less annoying than the NES which required too much incantation, repetition, breathing exercises, and luck to get it to work. Fond memories usually beset with frustration.

Cool: After all, We received it as a wedding gift.

Got a fatty for Christmas 2001. Still have it, and it still works.

Even though some parts have fallen off and it needs a laser readjustment every now and then. Other than that, it has run great.

SZ.

But still less annoying than the NES which required too much incantation, repetition, breathing exercises, and luck to get it to work. Fond memories usually beset with frustration.

Honestly, when you get to the part where you have to insert a quarter smeared with goat's blood into the spring-loaded mechanism after blowing on it while reciting incantations to Chtulu... just to play Balloon Fight... that's the best part of your childhood, right there.

-

Honestly, when you get to the part where you have to insert a quarter smeared with goat's blood into the spring-loaded mechanism after blowing on it while reciting incantations to Chtulu... just to play Balloon Fight... that's the best part of your childhood, right there.

-
Ah the good old days. Much the same with my brother's Atari 2600.

-

Balloon Fight was ten times more fun just fighting the second player. It was like Joust, with less eggs.

When an NES didn't reliably work on a rainy day, that was annoying.

Want to know who your true friends are? Play Balloon Fight with them. TeamKill before that even became a word. :P

Joust was great for its time, but Balloon Fight, like everything Nintendo, simply had perfect controls and gameplay.

The same can't be said of everything on the PS... but then you have a mountain of Playstation titles to sort through, and there's quite a lot of gems if you're willing to get your hands dirty digging... :lol:

Uncool because it's a video game console. I love it to death though. I had a slim one that never gave me any problems but it was sold when we got our fatty PS3. Over the past couple months I've been getting a strange urge to buy another PS2, since my fat PS3 died. Too bad I'm broke.

Uncool because it's a video game console. I love it to death though. I had a slim one that never gave me any problems but it was sold when we got our fatty PS3. Over the past couple months I've been getting a strange urge to buy another PS2, since my fat PS3 died. Too bad I'm broke.
Oh c'mon, literally everyone had one.

The uncool because game console, they don't carry that same stigma anymore.

Perhaps, but at a much less NERD stigma like it did back when people were wearing Jean Shorts.

I had a disc reading issue with my first PS2, but the 2nd one I got is still performing well today and I haven't cleaned it before. Which I probably should.

Anyway, an awesome game console with a great library of video games. Sub-Zero!

I believe you are thinking of the PS1's start-up.

This, this, and a million times this! I STILL can't be in the same room as a PS1 booting up. The PS2's was much better, although that RSOD video is making me think otherwise. Note to self: NEVER get RSOD on the PS2!!!

Sub-Zero, no question.

Perhaps, but at a much less NERD stigma like it did back when people were wearing Jean Shorts.

It's less the Nerd stigma than the boy-toy stigma. But, like I've said, the original XBox is infinitely worse in this regard... it's the IROC of game consoles. :lol:

Nintendo is for Nerds. And the Nintendo approach to gaming, which focuses on actual gameplay rather than trying to hit "the numbers" (fps, polygons, highest body count, most hardcore gore, adult content) is what makes any... well... most Nintendo consoles and games Sub-zero.

First "proper" console for me from 2007 or 2008 (Not counting a GBA). Slim line, worked for DVD's, had a decent few games, and still in 2014 it very much works, despite some cranky noises and disk issues with a couple games. But the one that got me started. And on a GT note, grinding B Spec GT4 DTM for 7 million around 4 times a day to get all cars from UCD, and then take Group B rally to the damn Citta Di Aria.

Not perfect but for nostalgia being my one, sub zero.

An all time great console, games left right and center, mine lasted alot of years, did fail on me and got a replacment slim as a gift, I've got countless games on it and can't even list the amount of great games I played, I salute you my childhood buddy you deserve a sub Zero.

Hopefully the PS4 can be half as good.

@niky -- I was a Nintendo kid, and I've followed them from the NES to the Wii U. After turning to a PS2 for my racing game needs -- because the Gamecube never took off with that genre -- I followed Forza Motorsport and PGR onto the Xbox 360, and eventually discovered just how little I care about those fixations of many high-profile games on Sony/Microsoft hardware.

Today, publishers complain about how their multiplatform titles don't sell on Nintendo platforms. I think people who prefer Nintendo's consoles/games just aren't interested in the sort of games that sell on Playstation/Xbox. Simply porting what works for that other audience won't cut it.

Last edited:
When the tray closes on my 12-year-old fatty PS2, it sounds like turning the starter on an already-running car, and it shakes so bad I'm afraid the disc will pop out of the recessed spot. When the drive spins up to speed, it sounds like a Huey. I've never once cleaned it, and it spent much of it's life getting filled with dust in my dorm room. It has never once failed to boot up or play a game flawlessly. I love that thing.

GT3, GTA 3 and Vice City, LEGO Star Wars, Ico, God of War, NFS Hot Pursuit 2... I could go on and on. What a great console. Subzero, no doubt about it.

Sub-zero without a doubt. Mine still gets daily use as I have no desire to buy a console with mostly half-broken games at release with "promises" of updates to fix the issues.

This is the console that showed me the wonderful world of military aircraft via Ace Combat 4. Only just shy of Sub Zero because I'm bitter about having lost a memory card, and though it was a different time, external memory for games is still a downer.

Only just shy of Sub Zero because I'm bitter about having lost a memory card, and though it was a different time, external memory for games is still a downer.

That's what you get for killing Yellow 4.:P

Had mine since GT3's launch day and it still works - sort of. Reads PS1, CDs, DVDs and regular PS2 games, but not the early PS2 games that had the blue disc surface (if that makes any sense). Could be due for a laser replacement me thinks.

Anyhow, I gave it a solid cool rating. It's part of the last generation of systems where you could just put a game in and play it. Not wait around for it to sign in, do a facial recognition test, attempt to play the game, have to update it, restart it, only for it to tell you that you can't play it properly since the servers are down. Also the last generation to use memory cards - those things were rad.

I personally have fonder memories of my GameCube, as it was the one that was in my room and could therefore sink more hours into. :P Even so, the console's popularity meant there were a raft of series' that you could only get on it, which today means you can get ridiculously cheap games and enjoy them just as much as any big-budget, brand new release. On the flip side, the popularity meant you got a glut of awful shovelware and nasty movie/TV tie-in releases that capitalised on that fact.

Slightly off-topic; is Enthusia really as good as people say it is?

Slightly off-topic; is Enthusia really as good as people say it is?
By today's standards it's a very old-school Gran Turismo clone, limited in a number of ways, and with odd gameplay design. The slow, deliberate steering requires practice if you're playing with a controller, and the physics are unforgivingly accurate. But the little moments -- steering a Honda S2000 with the throttle on a street circuit in rural Japan; wrestling the Ruf CTR around the Nordschleife as it bites and swings; nailing a full 90-degree entry into a snow-covered hairpin in a Subaru Forester -- are rewarding in a way that no other game does it for me.

Games like FM4 and Forza Horizon are fun, but the handling doesn't "click" with authenticity the way Enthusia does, personally. After the freshness of a new racing game wears off, I end up returning to EPR. With customizable AI grids (Germany vs Japan? FWD vs RWD? 1970s Battle?), the replay value has been exceptional. More recently I've been chipping away at bringing every car in the game up to Level 10 in the Enthusia Life career mode.

I have to say I'm already interested just from looking at the car list. Chevy Astro? Abarth 1000? Nissan Elgrand? Hell yes! Sure, the majority of the car list is Japan-orientated, but that doesn't concern me too much. From what I've seen it reminds me of GT3 in a weird way.

Back