GTP Cool Wall: 1963-1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 98 comments
  • 10,981 views

1963-1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso


  • Total voters
    128
  • Poll closed .
Guys, we are coming dangerously close to having a cool wall thread with a near universal agreement and no real need for argument and the same old tripe. Can we please, please just have this one thread untainted and leave the ongoing discussions in the other threads? Just this once.

I'm happy to forgoe the wire wheel scandal from this thread and let that slide if it means we don't have another cool wall thread where it's the V8 brigade vs the world and random asspulls of pony car stats and photos.

Can't we all just get along?
You mean I shouldn't post a dozen pics of my favourite car trying to prove a point that wasn't even bringed up? Blasphemy.
 
Sub-Zero, just look at it, it's the Mona Lisa of the car world.
 
Wouldn't go as high as Sub Zero.

Cool it is.
 
Guys, we are coming dangerously close to having a cool wall thread with a near universal agreement and no real need for argument and the same old tripe. Can we please, please just have this one thread untainted and leave the ongoing discussions in the other threads? Just this once.

I'm happy to forgoe the wire wheel scandal from this thread and let that slide if it means we don't have another cool wall thread where it's the V8 brigade vs the world and random asspulls of pony car stats and photos.

Can't we all just get along?

Yes, thank you.
 
What a fantastic car, can't be anything less than sub-zero. Has to be red too.
 
1st time I ever see this car... and I'm totally in love with it...

Sub-zero.
 
Actually a very poor drivers car, and natoriously unreliable. You could technically only drive one during the spring or autumn because anything considered mildly warm outside would cause the car to overheat. Not to mention they're owned exclusively by snobs. .........

........


..............and yet it's so impossibly beautiful, it's engine so silky, it's exhaust a symphony of greatness. A car so subzero that even it's setbacks don't even come close to knocking it down. If given the chance, I would give a hell of a lot to be one of those snobs. I would do many terrible things to own one.
 
Love it in white, sub zero. Did it come in other colors besides white, black, yellow, and red?
 
image.jpg


A lot of non petrol-head people think of something like this now as a modern Ferrari, mostly thanks to new money people like rappers, pop stars and footballers etc. If you drive something like this, most people just think you're a douchebag and are envious that somebody with so little taste can have the money to afford what was a nice car.

If you drive a classic Ferrari, especially a 60's one, most people don't have time to be jealous or think about the driver as they're in awe of the sheer beauty and class of the hand beaten body. This is what Ferrari should mean to people, the prettiest cars ever made with musical V12 engines and stylish yet classy interiors.

One of the 'sub-zeroest' cars ever.

Also Steve McQueen :p
 
I bet this is one of those cars where driving it anywhere is an event, and that's a pretty cool quality. I know nothing of its history and don't give a **** about Steve McQueen, so cool it is.
 
No comments about how bad the power is for the V12 3000cc engine?
You hear it alot with the older cars like 110hp is crap for a 1.3, but not this?

But I like it.
 
No comments about how bad the power is for the V12 3000cc engine?
You hear it alot with the older cars like 110hp is crap for a 1.3, but not this?

But I like it.
Absolute power wasn't a priority for '60s European cars.
 
It couldn't be any more sub-zero if it tried.
 
No comments about how bad the power is for the V12 3000cc engine?
You hear it alot with the older cars like 110hp is crap for a 1.3, but not this?

Because in 1963 80hp per litre was very good. Can't think of many, if any, purely road cars that bettered that at the time.
 
Gonna be slightly controversial with this statement; I don't understand all the love and adoration for Ferrari's 250 line-up. Sure, they have unbridled amounts of racing success and are drop-dead gorgeous, but they still don't scream instant sub zero to me like many other people and I don't know why. This is worsened by only ever being talked about these days for being the most valuable car and so on.

This is the exception to the rule though, along with the Breadvan, but that's another story. Came from the glory days of GT cars (when that name wasn't slapped on anything and everything 'sporty'), simple yet stunning looks and was designed just to be a road car, which is nice when most people just talk about the racers. Sub zero for sure.
 
250GT SWB >> 250GT Lusso >> 250GTO

Sub Zero.

I would kill to own own of these.
 
Voted Sub-Zero with a quickness rivaling the speed of light. I don't think the page was even finished loading.

This is to a 250 GTO, temperature-wise, as the general void of space is to the sun.
 
I'm going sub-zero as well. While yes, ferraris and lamborghinis were seen as douchemobiles at new, they have become, years from now, cars for connesseurs.
 
Cool DUH !!!

It would have been sub zero cool if today wasnt so hot...
 
Only 240 hp from a V12?? Gotta be kidding me. Wire wheels? Awful. And those headlights, oh don't get me started on those headlights. You can't get more generic than round headlights. The most seriouslyist of seriously uncool cars.
Do bear in mind that, one, it's 1963 and two, it's only a 3 liter engine...
 
My favorite 250 series Ferrari. Saw one a few weeks ago at the local Cars&Coffee. SZ for me.
10430415_10204242958222417_2309013114681153009_n.jpg
 
Just for perspective... the Lusso is beautiful (and still SZ), but IMO, the GT SWB without the rear windows and a more rounded rear has even better proportions...

Ferrari_250_GT_SWB_Scaglietti_Berlinetta_1959_2nd_PBC1131_PB_2010.jpg


Probably the most beautiful front engined car of all time.
 
I know it may look 'tall' compared to some, but I've always been a sucker for the 250 TdF.
image.jpg
 
Do bear in mind that, one, it's 1963 and two, it's only a 3 liter engine...

Indeed. I was being facetious. It's a long story.

In fact, I absolutely adore this car, even the wire wheels. Especially the wire wheels. And don't get me started on the glorious racket made by that engine.

-----

Just for perspective... the Lusso is beautiful (and still SZ), but IMO, the GT SWB without the rear windows and a more rounded rear has even better proportions...

Ferrari_250_GT_SWB_Scaglietti_Berlinetta_1959_2nd_PBC1131_PB_2010.jpg


Probably the most beautiful front engined car of all time.

I agree with you wholeheartedly when it comes to the side profile. The missing rear window does wonders for the lines there, especially those fenders. Simply beautiful.

But I've also gotta admit that I like the flat rear end of the Lusso as well. Too bad they couldn't have been combined on the same car somehow. For me, it's a toss-up between all versions of the 250, just a stunningly beautiful car in all iterations.
 
If the Lusso had the boat-tail of the 330 GTC, it would be just about perfect.
 
Back