• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1969-1973 Mazda Porter Cab nominated by ilikewaffles11

View attachment 106444

Stats:
Production: 1969-1973
Style: 2-door pickup truck
Engine: CC 22 ci/359 cc naturally aspirated two-stroke ?2 (rated 23 HP & ?? lb-ft)
Transmission: unknown, likely 4-speed manual with possible 2-speed automatic as well
Layout: Unknown, probably mid-engine, rear-drive​

I have the urge to put a motorcycle engine in it (600cc will do, upgrade to 1000cc if "needed") for a crazy drift-thing.

The potential makes it cool.

The ability to but a powerful bike engine in it and drift it makes it cool. But, it's hideous looks bumps down to meh.

I don't see what sets it apart from the other kei trucks. Well, it's got a fairly charming look and it's probably a pleasing sight for most people in places where kei trucks aren't common, but the same thing applies to the S35-gen. Daihatsu Hijet and the LT30-gen. Mitsubishi Minicab. It's a "meh" for me.

@daan Just change the face to..

0130.png

That, and all will be fixed, after the bike engine of course. :sly:

Wanted to vote cool, but I fear it'd only be so in a very limited number of situations to a very limited number of people. I.e. at a Japanese car show, to Japanese car geeks.

I'd be overjoyed to see one buzzing down the road, but I suspect to the lay person on the street it wouldn't get a second glance - too similar to Bedford Rascals and other assorted small pickups widely used here in the 1980s:

rascal_truck_02.jpg

Great styling on that Mazda though. More personality than cars multiple times its size.

Edit: Forgot to include my vote: uncool.

Last edited:
Quite like how it looks. For that sort of thing. But since I don't run a small family business in Hong Kong, it has no practicality in my life. So Meh.

Blah blah blah putting a bike engine would make it better blah blah. This is a pole about the standard version so any potential mods are irrelevant. You could potentially put in the Quad turbo W18 from the Veyron too.

*hysterical voice* It's sooooo cute!!

Now seriously, for me it's cool, the same way the Midget is cool. It doesn't look that bad. Plus the possibilities are endless, motorcyle engines etc. If it's uncool, make it cool. Not all cars are able of that.

That does come off as a retro-ised Rascal more than anything, and the Mazda is relatively unknown outside of Japan. Not to mention it's a pickup with moe eyes. A defining feature they may be (the overall design isn't bad), but they're a little unbecoming even for a small Japanese commercial classic.

I guess you can have some fun with them though.

hWZmM0al.jpg

It's definitely a sight of automotive interest, but a retro-looking Rascal isn't a cool sight.

Like all kei trucks, slightly uncool. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to own a Midget some day, though.

What's wrong with saying it's uncool?

Because you provided (extremely crappy) reasoning for saying why you don't like it.

Nobody asked you if you like it. We asked you if it is a cool car. It seems like you think every thread is about how much you like a car.

There's also the issue of caring if a car "has balls." Caring about how much a car links to masculinity is so played out and makes all of us look immature.

Awwwwwwwww... :embarrassed:

This thing is very, VERY cute...

I almost feel bad saying it... but it's a cool car 👍

Nope. I just really don't like this truck. It doesn't have the balls like all the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks have.
Because what Japanese delivery drivers negotiating streets barely wider than the truck needed was one with "balls"...

It's one thing not liking something. It's another not finding it cool.

It's a whole different arena of stupid applying criteria that doesn't even remotely apply to something and using that to judge whether a car is cool or not.

I'll be sure to judge the coolness of the next 1970s V8 pickup that appears on the cool wall based on its ability to set a good Nurburgring lap time though. Or not. Would be a bit moronic of me, wouldn't it?

It's quirky, and unique, but it has a 2-stroke motor in it so I cannot vote cool on it.

Plus is looks sad/surprised. Neither of those are cool sights. It's rather eh... whatever in that regard.

Meh.

@Zenith when he says if it has balls he means a decent amount of power.

Anyways, meh from me. Rather would have an Econoline or the Chevy variant with inline 6s before I took this. Doesn't really have a lot going for it, but I like the whacky styling so that keeps it from uncool. Two stroke engines are cool but I would seriously hope it had a remote oil reservoir and mixed itself so you don't have to mix the gas/oil yourself every time you filled up. That would get old fast.

As far as liking something and it being cool, sometimes they coincide.

Back