1969-1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GT & GTS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1969-1974 Dino 246 GT & GTS nominated by RocZX

tumblr_lvuqhsgnyu1qlwtwmo1_1280.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1969-1974 (GT), 1971-1974 (GTS)
Style: 2-door coupe (GT), 2-door targa convertible (GTS)
Engine: 148 ci/2,418 cc naturally aspirated DOHC V6 (rated 195 HP & ??? lb-ft in European specification and 175 HP & ??? lb-ft in U.S. specification because of emissions regulations)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Mid-engine, rear-drive
Related: Fiat Dino​

Last edited:
Subzero because of all the idiots that say this is not a "real" Ferrari because Dino and all that trash. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous.

Wasn't particularly quick from what I remember and was labelled as "not a Ferrari" by many.

However, I believe you can't argue with beauty. And the Dino 246 is stupendously beautiful in my eyes.

Sub-Zero.

Eh, IMO if you own this and tell people you own a Ferrari, then when they see it for the first time, they're gonna be disappointed. Still Cool though

Eh, IMO if you own this and tell people you own a Ferrari, then when they see it for the first time, they're gonna be disappointed. Still Cool though

On the same token though only true petrolheads will know its not a "real" Ferrari, those that aren't will look at it and just think its a work of art.

Insta-sub-zero.

Classic Ferraris have none of the "oh god, another footballer" factor so can be appreciated entirely on their merits. In the Dino's case, those merits include beautiful styling, one of the best-sounding V6s ever made, and the fact that if you buy one now it's only ever going to go up in value. Which is quite a cool situation to be in.

Insta-sub-zero.

Classic Ferraris have none of the "oh god, another footballer" factor so can be appreciated entirely on their merits. In the Dino's case, those merits include beautiful styling, one of the best-sounding V6s ever made, and the fact that if you buy one now it's only ever going to go up in value. Which is quite a cool situation to be in.

Agree, instant sub zero for me as well, here is a nice video of a 246 pulling away :D

Look at the shape, such a beauty that never gets old :) One of those cars that age like wine.

Sub Zero. Just look at the damn thing. A gorgeous V6 in a petite body.

Subzero because of all the idiots that say this is not a "real" Ferrari because Dino and all that trash. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous.
Incidentally, this aspect of the story has always confused me.

Enzo named the car Dino after his beloved departed son. Why, if he cared about his son that much, did he deem the car not worthy of the Ferrari badge?

Or was it purely a marketing thing and he suspected that his customers wouldn't buy a Ferrari if it "only" had a V6 engine? It just seems an odd thing to do to deny the car a Ferrari sticker if it was named after your son...

Enzo was an odd guy I think from just various comments he said and things he did. As for the car, it's cool because of the Dino name and looks, but sub zero because it should have been more I think.

Enzo named the car Dino after his beloved departed son. Why, if he cared about his son that much, did he deem the car not worthy of the Ferrari badge?

Or was it purely a marketing thing and he suspected that his customers wouldn't buy a Ferrari if it "only" had a V6 engine? It just seems an odd thing to do to deny the car a Ferrari sticker if it was named after your son...

It was something to do with homologation for Formula 2 racing apparently. Check the history of Fiat Dino.

To quote my maths teacher, from a time when one once drove past us

"Eugh... It looks like some kind of slutty playboy's car..."

Seriously uncool.

SZ from me, it looks awesome, and in person is a little more "stanced" than I'd previously realised. Like seriously low. I couldn't care less about the V6/Dino/whateverness, I would rate a Stratos or either Fiat Dino SZ too.

If I recall rightly, it was Enzo's intention to market all his V12 cars as Ferrari and all the other cars as Dinos - Dino being a brand in its own right.

Calling the 246 a "Ferrari Dino" makes as much sense as calling an LF-A a "Toyota Lexus" - and I'm pretty sure no-one looks down on the LF-A as being "not a proper Toyota"... I'll judge the Dino 246 when it comes up.

In fairness I think "Dino" has just become a popular nick for it, regardless of its origins, though not the "official" name. Same goes for the Daytona, VW Beetle, Daimler Dart etc etc. OK some of those didn't officially take on the monicker for different reasons, but the fact remains it is popularly known as the Dino.

For having the pleasure of driving and working on several Dino's I have to give it a cool.

But that is barely because I just can't like the looks of this car. For me something is terribly wrong with it but I don't know what.
It drives like a dream however, especially a completely restored one with all new fancy bushings and such.

Dammit. Now that that is back in my head I have to vote sub zero. :lol:

In fairness I think "Dino" has just become a popular nick for it, regardless of its origins, though not the "official" name.
Nope. It was sold as a Dino 246 GT. Dino as the make, 246 as the model.

There was a Dino 206 GT before it and, briefly, a Dino 308 GT4 after it until the Dino marque was dropped and the car rebadged as a Ferrari 308 GT4.

I always get a bad taste in my mouth when someone says Ferrari Dino.

It is either a Dino "insert number here" or a Fiat Dino.

Also. The 206 sp is better looking.

Nope. It was sold as a Dino 246 GT. Dino as the make, 246 as the model.

There was a Dino 206 GT before it and, briefly, a Dino 308 GT4 after it until the Dino marque was dropped and the car rebadged as a Ferrari 308 GT4.

Ohh OK, I didn't realise that. Talk about revisionist history, the car books and classic price guides I have it listed under Ferrari, and one suspects nearly everyone rebadged theirs. The few I've seen all wore the prancing horse, but then one turned out to have a Lotus engine, so there you go :)

EDIT: Gotta love the 308GT4 too, the working man's Ferrari, along with the Mondial. Might have to nominate it.

It's not really revisionist history - the car was developed and built by Ferrari, it just wears a different badge. The closest modern equivalent would probably be MINI. Everyone knows who builds and develops them, but it's still not a BMW.

As for rebadging, I'm not sure - I've seen a few Dinos in the past and all have worn Dino badging front and rear - though I recall a few might have gained a Scuderia badge on the front wings.

It's not really revisionist history - the car was developed and built by Ferrari, it just wears a different badge. The closest modern equivalent would probably be MINI. Everyone knows who builds and develops them, but it's still not a BMW.

Yes but by that token, the car guides would have MINIs listed under BMW. My point was that most sources seem to prefer to list the 246 under Ferrari. Not saying it's right, I've no doubt what Famine explained is 100% correct.

It's more like... Eunos Roadsters and Mazda MX-5s, kinda.

They're the exact same car built in the same place by the same people, but a Eunos Roadster is a Eunos and a Mazda MX-5 is a Mazda. People selling Eunos Roadsters - particularly grey import ones in the UK - will list them as Mazda MX-5s, which they are but aren't. Some even stick Mazda badges on them.

Aside from the 308 - which was the same car whether it was the earlier Dino or later Ferrari - there wasn't a Ferrari equivalent of the Dino to make it an wholly accurate comparison, but it's near enough.

Back