GTP Cool Wall: 1973 Nissan Skyline H/T 2000GT-R KPGC110

1973 Nissan Skyline H/T 2000GT-R KPGC110

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would consider JDM Fanboys into my vote, however, JDM Fanboys don't really care about anything made before the '90s, and can't really find one of those for sale.

You won't find many of these for sale because fewer than 200 were even made.

Which therefore means that if any car of this type goes up for sale, it will have an astronomical value. Rarity = expensive in most of the cases...

It might be the best-designed Japanese car in history. I think the hood mirrors look good but it is pretty stupid to put them so far from the driver's head without making them a lot bigger. The view frame is much smaller, and thus your blind spot is bigger. Anyway,

Cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the man in the street, this is just some boring old car. You might get "Japanese" added, depending on how old they are and, if really pushed, you could get either Toyota or Datsun out of them.

It depends on the man and the street:

image.jpg

It gets a cool vote for history and heritage.

@TheCracker
@Famine

I would not call this the best looking car of its time or its nationality either but is this not even better than average? Granted the front end is pretty basic and unremarkable but I think it has a lovely profile and a fantastic rear. If there's one thing Nissan often did right in the 1970s it was rear ends.

@TheCracker
@Famine

I would not call this the best looking car of its time or its nationality either but is this not even better than average? Granted the front end is pretty basic and unremarkable but I think it has a lovely profile and a fantastic rear. If there's one thing Nissan often did right in the 1970s it was rear ends.

I am unfortunately old enough to remember what cars from the 70's looked like in period. To me, this looks like just an average coupe at best. Opel did the coupe thing much better with the Manta A. Ford's Capri MkI and even the Granada MkI coupe were more stylish and BMW's CS knocked them all out of the water.

I've always thought the KPGC110 was a bit ungainly compared to the KPGC10 and compared to other '70s Japanese cars.

Does the whole "JDM fanboi" thing even apply to the C110? For a Hakosuka, sure. Unless you know quite a bit about classic JDM stuff (at least compared to most of the "JDM" crowd), then you probably have never heard of this particular Skyline.

It's a nice car and I really like them.

But this can't escape the slammed, stanced, stretched, JDM fanboy, bro crowd.

Meh.

But this can't escape the slammed, stanced, stretched, JDM fanboy, bro crowd.

Other cars of a similar vintage and other Skylines, sure, but this? Again, with fewer than 200 ever made I doubt very many of them have been extensively "modded" and I'd be sad if they had.

A quick search of your friendly neighbourhood search engine finds very little for "KPGC110 modded" apart from fan art and video game mods. I did find this but it isn't ridiculously crass:

4116766502_10783b14b6_m.jpg

Edit: Unless you mean the normal Skyline and not the GT-R, then maybe.

Other cars of a similar vintage and other Skylines, sure, but this? Again, with fewer than 200 ever made I doubt very many of them have been extensively "modded" and I'd be sad if they had.

A quick search of your friendly neighbourhood search engine finds very little for "KPGC110 modded" apart from fan art and video game mods. I did find this but it isn't ridiculously crass:

4116766502_10783b14b6_m.jpg

I didn't mean this particular model have been modded but it's still worshipped by the same type of people.

More beautiful than the KPGC10, in my opinion. One of the most beautiful cars to come out of Japan, ever. Not being the Hakosuka means a good bunch of those annoying JDM wannabe-carbuffs won't even know it as there's fa less hype surrounding it - at least in Germany. Those JDM tyte jo bro people tend to know the R34, R35 and KPGC10 and that's about it.

Gets a SZ from me.

Too rare for what a Skyline should stand for. Affordable supercar killer. Still enough to keep it's cool status because, they are very very cool

Old fastback Skyline surrounded by a "what if" mistyque. Normally what ifs suck, but in this car's case I tthink it adds up. Sub Zero, easy.

Just misses SZ status for me. I like the American-influenced design - like the Celica of the time, I like the Japanese spin on the muscle car shape.

Despite the over-appreciation it gets from the #JDM #YOLO #SPEEDHUNTERS #LOWSLOW broski crowd, it's nothing less than Sub-Zero. It looks good, was pretty fast for it's time and still plenty fast. It also looks classy as 🤬.

A clean one of these would be a nice looking little car. Cool.

In the grand scheme of things it's pretty generic to me. I agree with the previously stated sentiments that it's an average take on average coupes of the time. I still give it a cool, because I think it is. But honestly, the only reason why it's getting such high praise is its exclusivity. Had it been produced by the tens of thousands, it might not score as high.

This thing would be incredibly more badass with properly mounted mirrors, some 315s out back and a small block under the hood.

So, go get a generic Mustang instead and leave these alone.
But this isn't a Mustang. It looks slightly different.

Although if you did that I'm sure you'd get a million questions asking what type it was. Celica owners get that a lot.

Seriously uncool. No matter how historic or legendary, a Skyline can never be cool for me due to the people who fawn over them.

C10GT-R.jpg

proxy.php

I've never liked the looks of the KPGC110. A bit portly and chunky compared to the rather slim and purposeful KPGC10... which I do like.

Aside from it being a limited edition GT-R and filled with such wonders as "disc brakes" and "pistons"... I find it ironic that people lust after it, considering you could get a sexier straight six from Nissan at the time, only with slightly less power and sophistication:

Datsun240z1972.jpg

The 240Z was lovely to look at, had an engine with a lot of potential, and started a very successful racing campaign in the 70's, along with the 510.

The KPGC110? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip. It's only memorable as the car where Nissan gave up on a performance nameplate that they'd only bothered to sell inside of Japan and not anywhere else. And compared to other two-doors of the time, it doesn't really stand out all that much.

1973_Mitsubishi_Galant_coup%C3%A9_002_0300.jpg

800px-Toyota_Celica_ST_liftback_ca_1976.JPG

So... meh. I don't hate the car, but to non car-people, it's just your typical 70's coupe. And not one of the prettier ones, at that.

Back