Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1979-1981 Chrysler New Yorker nominated by @Custom878
79-81_Chrysler_New_Yorker_5th_Avenue.jpg

Engines:
318 ci (5.2L) V8, 360 ci (5.9L) V8
Power: 318: 120 hp; 360: 150 hp
Torque: 318: 245 lb-ft.; 360: 255 lb-ft.
Weight: 1778-1796 kg
Transmission: 3-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan​
1280px-%2780_Chrysler_New_Yorker_%28Cruisin%27_At_The_Boardwalk_%2710%29.jpg

Chrysler_1979_rear.png

Chrysler_1979.png

CC-83-008-800.jpg

CC-83-011-800.jpg

0_DSC04319.jpg

0_DSC04323.jpg

Generic yank-tank looking blob with half vinyl roof.... why? Looks like it was styled by a builder rather than a designer. No redeeming features at all.

Absolutely hate the name as with most Chrysler names. An old duffer's driveable hearse.

Seriously Uncool

Last edited:
Uncool. A lot of me wants to buy something like this really cheaply and drive it across the US (and maybe around New York itself) but that would merely be a cool experience in an uncool car.

Utterly dreadful, like so many of its american contemporaries. But it rises from a SU to Uncool on account of its considerable age, which would make it kinda cool to see one in super nice shape like in the OP photos. Also, that transitional '70s-to-'80s straightedged design would be pretty sharp if not for the hideous baleen-like grille, sealed beam headlights, and shoddy trim.

What is it with Detroit and outrageously awful grille designs, anyway...

Yeah, the massive engine made such little power, and yes, it drove more like a boat than a car, but the New Yorker is one of a handful of cool American cars to come from the mid-70's to late 80's. It's not an ugly car, it's better designed than other similar cars of the era. It has a half-vinyl top, which looks good IMO. It has mudflaps, or at least mudflaps were an option. Look at those seats, the stitching pattern. That back window is cool as well, the way it is split down the middle. Everything about this car seems to make sense, there isn't anything about it that shouldn't be there.

Therefore, cool.

End result of Chrysler doing what they could to cope with the times. They didn't have the money/resources of GM or even Ford to cope with the increasing government crackdown on the auto industry. MPG standards, emissions, downsizing, etc.

Cool it is.

End result of Chrysler doing what they could to cope with the times. They didn't have the money/resources of GM or even Ford to cope with the increasing government crackdown on the auto industry. MPG standards, emissions, downsizing, etc.

Cool it is.

That seems suspiciously like you're voting cool despite implying that it's heavily compromised by government regulation, it's built to a budget and that accountants rather than enthusiasts had the last word in its design. Have you seen any of British Leyland's creations from the 1970's? You'd probably love them...

That seems suspiciously like you're voting cool despite implying that it's heavily compromised by government regulation, it's built to a budget and that accountants rather than enthusiasts had the last word in its design. Have you seen any of British Leyland's creations from the 1970's? You'd probably love them...

Probably...

Blue/white one isn't half bad. First pic looks like the plastic yellowed (I know it's not plastic.)

Some of these cars offered on the cool wall make me say 'WHY?'

This one isn't even worth the effort to move the cursor. How about a Dodge Mirada while we're at it?

318 and 360 in a car most young people of today wouldn't expect to hear that rumble from. Cool.

It's not an ugly car, it's better designed than other similar cars of the era.
The contemporary B-Body destroyed this in about every measurable standard, and even the early Panther cars with their terrible engines and transmissions weren't as bad as the R-Bodies because those were at least assembled well-ish and built on a new platform.

The rear window is designed so your victims can't climb out of it.
Amusingly, the rear window was frameless. So it looked like this when you opened it:
58285.jpg

Last edited:
I actually kinda like it... The design doesn't offend me, and that hood is long enough to put a lot of engine behind....

I'm also the guy that wants to build a supercharged, manual trans, police interceptor crown vic :lol:

Cool.

Back