GTP Cool Wall: 1989-1998 Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos Roadster

1989-1998 Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos Roadster

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some sections of that Miata club article may not have helped dispel the stereotypes.
The fact that this is what you chose to comment on speaks volumes about your character.

I know what you mean about the Miata guys though. They should drive a big manly truck with a big V8 that reminds me of a big strong man's deep voice. And looks really manly and muscular. I could totally see myself inside a big, manly, muscular car with a deep throated exhaust. God I love men manly things, so glad I'm not gay.

Great. So you speak for where you live and don't pretend other people aren't doing the same.

The way you said it made it out to be like you knew what people are like here.

xK0ImLQ.jpg

Here have a cute MX-5

It's a good car but it looks girly to me. "Happy" cars do that.

The fact that this is what you chose to comment on speaks volumes about your character.

I know what you mean about the Miata guys though. They should drive a big manly truck with a big V8 that reminds me of a big strong man's deep voice. And looks really manly and muscular. I could totally see myself inside a big, manly, muscular car with a deep throated exhaust. God I love men manly things, so glad I'm not gay.

Apparently you didn't see the part I was referring to, but w/e.

This is funny.

But you are doing just as much to reinforce stereotypes as Gay Hair-dressing Miata jibes.

Yeah, there's nothing 'gay' about bodybuilders. Spending a great deal of your spare time looking at yourself in the mirror in the company of other sweaty men also admiring themselves in the mirror is just the very definition of straight. It's not like gay men aren't into muscly men either is it?

Yeah, there's nothing 'gay' about bodybuilders. Spending a great deal of your spare time looking at yourself in the mirror in the company of other sweaty men also admiring themselves in the mirror is just the very definition of straight. It's not like gay men aren't into muscly men either is it?
1368906386850.jpg

Of course the stereotype of body builders is that they have tiny winkies. This is also what your (wo)man in the street thinks of you when you drive a massive truck or bulging muscle car.

Can confirm, have a tiny-I mean muscle car.

I've seen more women driving MX-5s than men. My sister owns one, even.

However of that majority the "cute" MX-5 seems to be driven by similarly cute girls.

I find that a win in my books. Even better if they actually did buy it because it's good to drive.

Some sections of that Miata club article may not have helped dispel the stereotypes.
Good thing I'm not interested in dispelling any stereotypes. Some do have reasons to exist -- I couldn't argue in the M3 thread that the "douchebag" image was totally unsubstantiated. Whether or not you fashion your opinions after such preconceptions is a different thing, along with the following distinction: Is the Miata uncool because it is a car for gay hairdressers? Or because it's considered by many to be a car for gay hairdressers?
Muscle car's typically look better than an MX-5 in my opinion, I prefer the way they are sculpted, their stance, their proportions.. on the other hand the MX-5 looks like a used bar of soap on wheels.

This is just my opinion.
The Porsche 356 is commonly described as an overturned bathtub, but it's still cool (IMO). :)

The way you said it made it out to be like you knew what people are like here.
No, the way you read it made it out like that. When I want to refer to people in the tri-state area, I'll mention it in the relevant post.

Are we done now or do you have more?

People still think a Miata is a car for gays? Gay guys drive the same kinds of cars straight guys do, they just cruise for other dudes instead of chicks. The gay couple I work with, one of them drives a new Lexus letters and numbers and the other one drives a bright blue Mustang. It's anecdotal, but it's more just to show a gay guy can drive and enjoy anything.

Hairdressers on the other hand, I don't know if it's just a Michigan thing but they all pretty much drive white Jeep Grand Cherokees with pink leis dangling from the rear view mirror.

People still think a Miata is a car for gays? Gay guys drive the same kinds of cars straight guys do, they just cruise for other dudes instead of chicks. The gay couple I work with, one of them drives a new Lexus letters and numbers and the other one drives a bright blue Mustang. It's anecdotal, but it's more just to show a gay guy can drive and enjoy anything.
They're not talking about that gay, they're talking about the derogatory gay that has pretty much nothing to do with actual gay people. Plus it's a stereotype.

The NA is the most pure, which is why I like it the most. But drive one here and you instantly look gay due to the fact that everyone is into trucks and muscle cars. I love the car, but if I bought one I would have to make it un-gay some how so I wouldn't be teased by your typical pick up truck and muscle car loving crowd. Don't get me wrong, I love pick ups and muscle cars dearly as I've been around them since I was a kid and know them quite well, but if I drove a import here, let alone a MX-5, I would be looked at awkwardly, which is what I hate about that crowd, and why I don't really "hang" with them.

How can the original Miata be the go-to car for gay guys when Volkswagen sold some variety of the Remington Steele-mobile along the entirety of the NA's lifespan?

I'll get my coat.

Well, I'm going to say that I adore the Mazda MX-5, it seems like a fun, little sports car to me and they're even more fun when you put a V8 from a Mustang under the hood of one. Of course, fun & good =/= cool unfortunately and it's become the butt of many jokes over the years and it doesn't seem to stop.

I have to give it a seriously uncool rating, I'm sorry MX-5.

Right, I had to think about this one for a bit. Of all the cars that I like, and that's a lot, this car is up near the top, behind only the Alpine A110 and some Porsche 911 variants. That said, this car just seems to lack a certain je ne sais quoi that the other two don't, and that seems to be a common complaint after reading through here. My best guess is that it's the styling, it has the same problem the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 has, an that's that the designers probably could have done more.

As much as I love, and I do mean love, this car, I just can't give it an SZ ranking, but I will give it a high cool, and you can bet that when I have the money for my own car, this will be one I'll look at because they're easy to find and really inexpensive.

Also, partially off-topic, but it does have something to do with the Miata; I'm looking for books that cover the Miata and the 911, does anyone know of any good ones?

Well, I'm going to say that I adore the Mazda MX-5, it seems like a fun, little sports car to me and they're even more fun when you put a V8 from a Mustang under the hood of one. Of course, fun & good =/= cool unfortunately and it's become the butt of many jokes over the years and it doesn't seem to stop.

I have to give it a seriously uncool rating, I'm sorry MX-5.

🤬 YES. I WANT IT. NOW.

and now I'm regretting my rating a bit after reading some of the comments. If were to rate it again; it would be more in the meh or cool category.

Once again, the cultural differences are amazing. Here very few women are turned on by a man in a Miata. Actually most would probably ask why you're driving your wife's car! That's why I voted uncool, because here they're driven, almost exclusively, by soccer moms going through a mid-life crisis. It's good to know that muscle cars and trucks still turn women on here. I like it that way.

I take full responsibility for Slash's V8 Miata obsession, it has also spread to NSXitus as well.
I told you before, when I get my hands on a Miata and do this swap you are the first person other than me that I'm letting take it for a rip :lol:

I have a friend who owns two Miatas, and he's a cool guy, so this car gets a cool from me.

One of the best small Japanese cars that just happens to be affordable, reliable, fun to drive, and easy to work on.

Even in basic trim, they're a ton of fun. Tasteful mods make them even better. Solid cool. No more, no less.

Back