GTP Cool Wall: 1989-1998 Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos Roadster

1989-1998 Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos Roadster

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like I said, I almost had one once. But it's not cool. Coolness is about attitude, fury, and general over-the-top-ness, and this vehicle has none of any of those things.

1311246606_top_gear__jeremy_clarkson_thumbup.gif

I'm not even gonna bother...

Yes it does, just look at the Dodge Viper. One of the coolest cars ever. Early models weren't even that good in a straight line, but... it uses a V10 because eight massive cylinders just aren't enough. It's loud. It's fast. It's not sophisticated, refined, or technologically advanced in any way, nor does it pretend to be. It makes eco-hippies cry and tech snobs rage... and that's exactly why it's cool.

Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 (FD3S), Toyota 2000GT, Alpine A110S (we know you loved that one), Ford Lotus Cortina, Datsun 510. All cars that are rated Sub-Zero that have none of what you describe as cool.

The Hennessey Venom GT has what you think is cool, but has a -.046 rating, making it Uncool.

The Viper is cool because (in my mind) it's a modern interpretation of the Shelby Cobra 427, one of the coolest cars in the world.

Well of of course there's a bad way of going about "attitude, fury, and general over-the-topness". It's just that the manufacturers themselves almost never do it. That part is left to the people with more money than aesthetic sensebility - see gold-plated Camaro ZL1 vert, puke green Civic with ten foot spoiler and obnoxious blue headlights, etc.

Yes, that one. Exactly what I'm talking about. The way it looked from the factory is a positive example of what I was talking about, but that's just horrible, like that pic of Elton John.

... to you ...
is about attitude, fury, and general over-the-top-ness
... unless it's ...
a bad way of going about "attitude, fury, and general over-the-topness"
... and then it isn't.

Got it.

Incidentally, what part of this:
It's loud. It's fast. It's not sophisticated, refined, or technologically advanced in any way, nor does it pretend to be. It makes eco-hippies cry and tech snobs rage... and that's exactly why it's cool.
... does the gold-plated Camaro fail on?

Sounds like a double-surefire winner on the W&N Scale of Cool to me.

I know. I want to know why the gold-plated Camarodonk doesn't merit a cool despite hitting every base the Viper does.

Back