GTP Cool Wall: 1994-2000 Citroen XM V6

1994-2000 Citroen XM V6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course no. Just base your opinion on hearsay, ignorance and misinformation and state it as a fact! That seems to work really well for many people...

I just go with my gut, and my gut still says seriously uncool.

I suppose this car would look pretty uncool in America. But in Europe it fits in and looks really very cool. It's partly size. Here, it's a big car. In America, it's pretty average. the styling works a lot better if you see it as a big, sci-fi esque executive car rather than a boring midsize saloon.

It looks cool everywhere, even in god-fobid-this-place-has-car-culture Mexico. I've seen like 3 that I have no idea where they came from and they just look like retro space ships. It's even cooler in the flesh.

This car is the ideal test of who gets the idea of the cool wall and who doesn't.

Cool from me.
Looks like the biggest pile of 🤬 I've ever seen.

Seriously uncool.

I don't even know how this car could even possibly be cool. It's got nothing going for it.
I know enough that I want to stay away from it. If it looks interesting, I'll learn more about it. This car is probably right up there with one of the worst looking vehicles I have ever laid eyes on and frankly I don't even want to know anything about it.
Gimme a Q, gimme an E, gimme a D...

I am pretty tied between cool and meh.

I went for a Meh but a high one. And the decive factor was my personal taste. Probably because it's a Citroen and I was never a fan of those. I found them cool yet not good cars.

I am pretty tied between cool and meh.

I went for a Meh but a high one. And the decive factor was my personal taste. Probably because it's a Citroen and I was never a fan of those. I found them cool yet not good cars.
Yeah they don't really have a good reputacion at least where I live.

Sub Zero.

its-so-pretty_o_2196957.jpg

Top Gear rules says it's cool, but nothing could possibly make that car cool to me.

Uncool (Would be SU but I have to respect the rules a little bit)

I'm neutral about this car since I don't really know much about it, so I pick the most neutral rating on the cool wall "meh".

Maybe it helps to have to have lived through the 1990s to give context to this car's techno-tastic styling, rather than being born in that decade and seeing it as just an old weird FWD lump from before your time.

I voted Cool because look at it. Sometimes what the car is, or can do, isn't relevant to how cool it is (or frequently/always, depending on who you ask). If one of these passed me while driving, I'd get into an accident while spinning my head around. I practically did that when I spotted a 2CV in Madison once. I wouldn't even give a second glance to any RWD V8 Ford or other such "cool" car from the 1990s.

My votes tend to follow what would draw my attention in a parking lot. I'd be all over this!

European people have a weird obsession with Citroens...
It's more like a complicated love-hate relationship. They've got a great history of clever designs and fantastic engineering, which all kind of petered out in the 1990s at which point we all bemoaned the lack of interesting Citroens, but is now slowly coming back with the new DS lines and the just-announced C4 Cactus.

I suppose they're cars that require a little more thought to appreciate, and whose charms aren't always apparent where lack of thought, or lack of will to think, exists. See certain posts in this thread for evidence.

Not great for people who require instant gratification from big numbers or remove-brain styling. Fascinating for people for whom engineering is more than dropping a big V8 in everything and for whom design is more than constructing a shape from boxes of various sizes.

A good Citroen doesn't conform to fashion either. A DS, or GS, or CX, or XM, or C6, or DS5 is not a fashionable car, but all are stylish cars. I'd also say it's impossible to buy some of Citroen's quirkier models without being a true, passionate petrolhead. Any berk can wander into an Audi showroom or something and buy a A6, but someone who buys a DS5 with its overhead toggle switches and split glass roof and watch-strap leather seats and fighter-plane style gauges has probably thought about their purchase a little more.

It was probably the same with the XM back in the 90s (or the 80s, since the original XM emerged in 1989). You could buy a 5-Series, or an Audi 100 or something and fade into the background, or you could go for the wedge-shaped Citroen with the split-glass tailgate, magic-carpet ride and barmy interior. I have a lot of time for people like that.

Looks like the biggest pile of 🤬 I've ever seen.

Seriously uncool.

I don't even know how this car could even possibly be cool. It's got nothing going for it.

Maybe showing a picture of the rear would help you get a better understanding of it?

1994-2000_Citro%C3%ABn_XM_hatchback_01.jpg

Back