• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1996-2001 Toyota Chaser Tourer V nominated by Rage Racer

a1e44eu-960.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1996-2001
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: 1JZ-GTE 152 ci/2,492 cc turbocharged DOHC inline 6 (rated 276 HP & 280 lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 5-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive
Related: Toyota Cresta, Toyota Mark II​

My take? A solid cool. With a decent engine, an FR layout, and an available manual transmission, this is my kind of sedan... too bad it's so difficult to (cheaply) get anything similar here in the States. Wait for the Pontiac G8s to depreciate some more I guess.

Also note that modified versions of this car have done very well in drifting competitions.

I don't have any problems with it. So it isn't seriously uncool, but the design is just so boring. It probably goes quite nicely though. But I still don't really like it, sort of uncool.

Meh. Could give two 🤬 about it. Styling is too bland, doesn't strike me as a performance car.

Meh. Sorry those who play Tokyo Extreme Racer, but i am being real generous about this, especially when i like this sort of car as it 'appeared' in Midnight Club 2.

Another case of a Japanese car that's extremely difficult to find unmolested these days. In stock form it's an understated speedy all-rounder.

Cool.

My feeling of the Chaser is almost exactly that of the MkIV Supra. Great drivetrain, good looking backside, but I don't like the front and I don't like the wheels.

However it's a mild Cool rather than Meh because it's a sedan.

Bland styling whilst stock but some modified ones have been decent looking when they're not slammed to the ground. 1JZ bumps it up to a low cool.

Just like the four door Skyline's it's a sedan that can rip your face off and has a beautiful combination of a menacing aura and a sedated look like a tiger in a business suit.

Solid sub zero

Something that simply provides sufficient satisfaction for anyone who loves cars during their daily drives, whether he's single or not. It's well-packaged, being a quite spacious four-door sedan (so you can still use it when you're taking your family of five or less) with an engine that is powerful enough for some fun, quick accelerations when you want them. It's just mildly dashing and not too exciting to look at, a bit anodyne maybe. But they didn't try too hard on the exterior styling; it's something that won't raise any eyebrows, I guess. It's not ugly or bland, just playing it safe. It's better than in cases where the manufacturer seems to try being bold and the end result's terrible. It wasn't too expensive either.

It's got practicality, unquestionable looks, and the fun factor. It deserves a "cool" at least for me. It's true that there are many other cars that can deliver the same thing, so it's maybe not too special, but it's still a "cool" car, something that can undoubtedly provide some pleasure for the driver.

I can easily see the appeal of these. I've often hovered around Japanese car import sites and looked at the prices and wondered if I could make it work.

However, I'm not sure it's really cool. At the end of the day it's just a fairly bland-looking sedan with a Toyota badge on the front.

Dull-looking large Toyota saloon. Can you imagine trying to explain to a woman anyone who isn't into the whole JDM scene what's 'cool' about it?

Looks as boring as a washing machine and seeing as though it's got some power it'd just look like a car some chav has done up. Uncool.

Dull-looking large Toyota saloon. Can you imagine trying to explain to a woman anyone who isn't into the whole JDM scene what's 'cool' about it?

I'm of the opinion that "Sleepers" are cool, so I'd imagine you wouldn't explain anything; simply let the loud pedal do the talking. 👍

Ticks all the right boxes for me. Cool engine, FR, manual transmission, reasonable weight, competent driver's car, clean and attractive (sorta wants-to-be-an-E39) styling...very Cool.

Seems like it would be a decent GT car with the 1JZ. Would make a great sleeper, too. Cool.

Toyotas are uncool at best, and this one looks boring & bland. Also, it would need a bit of explanation of what makes it cool to anyone who isn't part of the "Mad tyte JDM Yo!" crowds.

Seriously uncool.

Meh, I like performance oriented 4 door cars but the name "Chaser" knocks it out of a mild cool.

There's always something about a big sedan with a big engine. And I've always liked how these look. Cool car.

I can actually see why the Chaser has been such a popular tuning base. But it is an unsung hero among others who share that character, which lifts it well above them in coolness.

Cool for sure.

Uncool, the only people that would recognize it would probably challenge you to a drift competiton.

Also, it's a sleeper for all other things, which also makes it uncool(a "cool" sleeper is not a true sleeper, they have to be dull and boring).

Meh. Stock examples appeal to me more (with the rear wing removed), and even then it's not quite as bland as your typical 90s Japanese three-box.

Add in some decent performance and you get a fairly deceptive sports saloon. But to most people they're rather nondescript and ultimately it is just a performance-oriented Toyota Mark II. Not exactly cool, but nowhere near enough to warrant an uncool vote.

Last edited:
Toyota Chaser, doesn't tingle anything special on my body.

I'll give it a cool because RWD sedan.

Fan of these, although I admit there are quite a few things holding them back from being higher than a low-end Cool...

Zenith pretty much said what I was thinking, when talking about finding one that hasn't been ruined... 'JDM mad tyte yo' and 'VIP style' come to mind when thinking of one of these (although I think of the TOM's variant...)

I know Legendary owned one, I'm wondering what he'd have to say about it.

Back