GTP Cool Wall: 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One of the most widely used car in GT1-3. But later, it became no longer topical.
This car is kinda out of fashion. 3000GT's were popular 10-15 years ago, but today, not everyone even knows this car (in my country, at least), it's almost forgotten. "What is this? Mitsubishi... an Eclipse? Nah. G-T-O... What is this? I never heard about it!". This is sad. :(
However, still I see some on the streets (rarely, but I do), most of them are GTO's, right-hand drive JDM imports. Most of them are maintained well by their owners.
It sounds awesome, looks good to me, the Twin Turbo 6G72 engine is pretty powerful, although the car is kinda heavy to have good track performance, I give it a solid Cool.

Last edited:
Meh. I will turn y head if I see one since they aren't Too common these day but the crowd surrounding them turns me off.

Meh. I will turn y head if I see one since they aren't Too common these day but the crowd surrounding them turns me off.

Too common? Whhaaaat? Maybe you're seeing the Dodge Stealth. :P Mind you, we are talking about the VR-4 model here. Very uncommon.

Maybe uncommon for you, Dino, but I see a couple a day. AWD coupes are very popular around here, and thus I also see several SVX's a day, and countless 325iX's of the E30 variant.

I'm giving it a "meh" for the reasons @TheCracker mentioned.

I know it has a bad reputation. Even Mitsubishi fans like I am are supposed to somewhat dismiss it in favour of the Lancer Evo.

I don't care. Sub-zero by a long, long way. I love this car. A lot.

@Azuremen Was sure that the VR-4 was a rare trim, but okay.

I did some quick looking, and from what I could gather there were around 23,000 VR-4/R-T Turbo models produced. In comparison, the SVX only had about 12,000 imported to the US during its production run. And then the 3000GT is made less special by all of the other models running around, to the point that you'd have to explain that "no, no this is the special variant with turbos and AWD" and that just kind of kills any hope of being cool :P

Oh, a Mitsubishi VR-4? Oh wait...

galantvr4-1.jpg

...We're not talking about the right one.

Massive, wedge shaped, lots of holes all over it, outrageous technology, the mass of a small moon. Remember when they said it was better than the 300ZX and the NSX? Yeah, me too. Uncool.

Meh, I see 3000gt's all the time. I don't know if they're VR-4 or not but I just don't like them alot. They're ok.

I think you misread my post as I said they aren't too common.

Apologies. I need to stop posting when I'm sick. :embarrassed: Though I suppose I thought you said they were since it almost looked like you started a new sentence with"too".

Oh, a Mitsubishi VR-4? Oh wait...

galantvr4-1.jpg

Now that is a cool Mitsubishi.

Funnily enough, the last VR4 was about as powerful as the last 3000GT, while weighing less and seating five people, to boot.

Sub-Zero. When it came out it was light years ahead of the opposition and one of the best looking cars from the 90's IMO. Would buy one in an instant if I could find a clean one.

Uncool. If only they didn't weigh as much as a cruise liner and come with atrocious wheels and a wing. Still, if I had the chance to own one, I would consider it.

I've only ever seen one Mitsubishi GTO, and that was years ago.

Maybe uncommon for you, Dino, but I see a couple a day. AWD coupes are very popular around here, and thus I also see several SVX's a day, and countless 325iX's of the E30 variant.

wat.

Epic. :drool:

SVX
wat.

Epic. :drool:

Honestly, aside from the looks, how they drive is fairly meh. Very heavy paired with a horrible automatic transmission ruined a lot of the fun. I will say they are quite stable and make good highway rockets :P

Honestly, aside from the looks, how they drive is fairly meh. Very heavy paired with a horrible automatic transmission ruined a lot of the fun. I will say they are quite stable and make good highway rockets :P

Yeah, I've been in one a few times (my dad has one, hence the name :dopey:). Super dooper quiet, and certainly pulls. Extremely overpriced when new, they were more than $70k NZD here in the 90s! There's an S4 (I think? Has the BBS wheels) for $4k on Trade Me, local too.

I'm sure there are. But where I am, it was still ahead of any other AWD sports that was available to my market (in the 30k price range).

Try more like $45,000 and breaking $60,000 for the VR-4 Spyder.

Back