GTP Cool Wall: 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Try more like $45,000 and breaking $60,000 for the VR-4 Spyder.

Maybe for the '99, I'm talking about when they first came out:

Even more impressive was the fact that, at roughly $30,000 in 1991, the 3000GT VR4 offered one of the best performance-per-dollar values in the industry.

http://www.edmunds.com/mitsubishi/3000gt/1999/road-test.html

Cost Base, estimate $31,000 As tested, estimate $31,500

http://www.cars.com/mitsubishi/3000gt/1991/expert-reviews

It's the best car! of one.

Toyota Celica GT-Four
Eclipse GSX
Talon TSi
BMW 325ix
Subaru Alcyone SVX
Audi Quattro

Toyota Celica GT-Four
Eclipse GSX
Talon TSi
BMW 325ix
Subaru Alcyone SVX
Audi Quattro

You might as well be comparing the thing to a Jeep Cherokee. The only one of those that was even close to being an actual competitor was the SVX (which was nearly $10,000 cheaper when it debuted than the 3000GT had already inflated to by its second year).

Last edited:
Toyota Celica GT-Four
Eclipse GSX
Talon TSi
BMW 325ix
Subaru Alcyone SVX
Audi Quattro

You seem to be clutching at straws to try and make a point that simply isn't true, what with limiting model years, markets, and grouping vehicles with it simply by the drivetrain they use.

The price I referenced was for the '95 model, and that 30 grand price point vanished pretty fast.

And I'd rather have the 325ix out of that list, but for the money they wanted for the VR-4 you could just buy an E36 M3 in '95 and save several grand.

Which is why the VR-4 was ahead of anything else at the time :lol:

....What?

The 3000GT competed with the likes of the 300ZX, Skyline GT-R, Supra, RX-7 and, rather worryingly, the Honda/Acura NSX.

Now, taking the Skyline out of the picture for North America, the 3000GT was admittedly more technologically advanced. However, the technology didn't actually seem to do anything to aid the performance of the vehicle except add more and more weight. It was quick off the line but sluggish at a roll, it had a shedload of body roll and it understeered like a pig.

And it was also significantly less reliable than its more popular competitors. Several owners will attest to the fact that you have to absolutely love the looks of the vehicle in order to get over the fact that you're going to be spending a heck of a lot more dough keeping the 3000GT running tip top. Gearbox failures in particular are prominent, as well as the ECU and the very tech you're saying makes it far above anything else from the time.

And rose-tinted glasses or not, I do have to wonder how many American tests of the time period actually took a break from slathering praise on the Z32 300ZX to say that the 3000GT was better.

I didn't think any Mitsubishi could ever be cool. Evo's...3000GT's, Yeechh !

mitsubishi_lancer_evo_vi_2000.jpg

You were saying?

mitsubishi_lancer_evo_vi_2000.jpg

You were saying?

What can I say ? I guess I can't say much except I just don't like the looks of them, they may go like hell but I'd much rather have a 8th gen HFP Accord coupe. And then there are cars I'd rather have over the Accord.

....What?

The 3000GT competed with the likes of the 300ZX, Skyline GT-R, Supra, RX-7 and, rather worryingly, the Honda/Acura NSX.

Obviously those cars are miles ahead on performance. If you read what I actually posted I was comparing the VR-4 to other AWD sports cars available at that time. Any serious attempts to pack technology into an AWD car before 1991 was basically zero (excluding exotics like 959). The VR-4 helped clear the path for the Evo and STi today.

Obviously those cars are miles ahead on performance. If you read what I actually posted I was comparing the VR-4 to other AWD sports cars available at that time. Any serious attempts to pack technology into an AWD car before 1991 was basically zero (excluding exotics like 959). The VR-4 helped clear the path for the Evo and STi today.

? The two other all-wheel drive cars cited in this thread weren't serious?

800px-Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg

All-wheel drive, turbocharging, all-wheel steering. 1989

6thGalantVR-4.jpg

All-wheel drive, turbocharging, all-wheel steering. 1988. Homologation special, to boot.

? The two other all-wheel drive cars cited in this thread weren't serious?

800px-Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg

All-wheel drive, turbocharging, all-wheel steering. 1989

6thGalantVR-4.jpg

All-wheel drive, turbocharging, all-wheel steering. 1988. Homologation special, to boot.

Like I said, "basically zero" :lol:

R32 is good, but you're comparing a Galant with a GTO? Might as well compare an Eclipse GSX to Evo MR...

Those were the players Mitsubishi was competing with in the market. Not your little handful of sports cars with AWD drivetrains.

This was the JGTC market. Though rather ironically Mitsubishi didn't run a 3000GT in the JGTC.

Last edited:
R32 is good, but you're comparing a Galant with a GTO? Might as well compare an Eclipse GSX to Evo MR...

The 3000GT wasn't too terribly far removed from being a Diamante coupe; which in itself was an enlarged and widened version of the same platform that the original Galant VR4 sat on.

Like I said, "basically zero" :lol:

As Toronado says:

The 3000GT wasn't too terribly far removed from being a Diamante coupe; which in itself was an enlarged and widened version of the same platform that the original Galant VR4 sat on.

The 3000GT was based on a shortened Diamante platform... yet somehow... somehow came out heavier than the four-door Galant VR4. The first VR4 was just a four-cylinder, but the last one had a slightly smaller twin-turbo V6, with AYC and all the other handling goodies, was lighter than the concurrent 3000GT and about just as quick.

The 3000GT may have sounded good on paper, and it was a truly powerful car, but it was basically a front-wheel drive full-sized sedan clothed in a coupe body and fitted with twin turbos and a transfer case. Which is why it doesn't get nearly as much love as the Supra or the Z.

Its a meh for me AWD TT is cool but the weight and the crowd that is into these cars kills its cool points. Did the US models even get the big spoiler? I cannot recall one on the lot with it but its been a while.

Every tool and poser in Kansas City has a 3000GT. Having had to speak with a few of these witless neanderthals, this car is seriously uncool. Plus, it can get smoked by a Saab 9-3 with a 5 speed auto.

Back