Torque: 333 lb-ft
Weight: 1710 kg
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
Drivetrain: front-engine, rear-wheel drive.​

2004-infiniti-m45-5.jpg
062c81d62a8ffa01519fce29626dc955.jpg
2003_Infiniti_M45_rear_left_side.jpg
mark1.jpg

I've never once seen or heard of this car until just now and no wonder, it only lasted two model years? Wow. Well, it's very funky looking... but it has a V8. Meh

Sub Zero. At the time, we(North Americans) finally got a JDM Nissan, but Infiniti was just off with its products. Should have marketed it as the Cedric, kept the Skyline engine(though I think it may not have passed Califorinia emissions) and offered the V8 as an option.

Cost too much at the time, but I'd have one now. VIP, race or drift, it's a beast.

I've liked these cars since they came out. Something about the weird styling is just cool to me.

This is the definition of a sleeper. I doubt most people would expect this car to be V8 powered and crank out 340 horsepower. I've always thought the styling handsome, better looking than a Lexus GS or Jaguar S-Type. But at the end of the day, it's still a big, beige luxury sedan, which are predominantly driven by people over 50, and those types of people aren't cool.

A Japanese Marauder.

From a car guy perspective, it's deeply cool for its sleeper status. But outside of that, it's an awkward-looking, goofy thing. It's avoided the clapped-out drug-dealer ride fate suffered by the Q45, but it's just not going to turn heads.

Whilst not particularly ugly, it's not exactly pretty, perhaps a tad funky but ultimately bland. And at the end of the day, it's a rather heavy, and rather unfortunately (IMO) V8 only barge.

Not the worst in the world, but still uncool.

Yeesh, it's not a good looker. The automatic gear bring it to a SU vote but what blows my damn mind, this boring car got a V8 of all things.

Well then. Uncool it is. ya saved yourself from SU, Infiniti. Just barely.

How does automatic bring a car to SU by default?

Hell, a big luxury barge like this one would be the last car to need a manual.

Here's my math for you, Turbo.

Infiniti - already a Meh. I don't liek the styling of it in my opinion, or so to speak, the design, brought it down to uncool in my book. No option to have manual, only automatic. There's car with only automatic that would make sense, this isn't exactly one of them.

However, the fact this heavy car had a V8, it's stands out a little bit for it's sleeper status. It might not be a cool car, but to have a V8, sheesh, I don't know many luxury cars that have them other than some Benz and BMW's. Or many sedans, either.

There's car with only automatic that would make sense, this isn't exactly one of them.
Why would it not make sense?

Customers who buy full-size luxury sedans are generally older and never participate in sports driving. An automatic transmission is much more convenient than having a shifter. People buy luxury cars for their convenience.

Why would it not make sense?

Customers who buy full-size luxury sedans are generally older and never participate in sports driving. An automatic transmission is much more convenient than having a shifter. People buy luxury cars for their convenience.

Fair play, your point is as valid as it is, so not going to full on disagree because your opinion is not the same as me.

But there is some luxury cars that *do* deserve that manual gear, even though they're meant for convenience, who wouldn't resist to even try modifying or racing one legally with a freaking V8 under the hood? Believe me, if wasn't for sporty luxury cars by Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen even exist, such thing wouldn't have even happened - it brings some nice variety.

That being said, there's not many cars by Infiniti that I like, unfortunately, not as a luxury anyway.

But there is some luxury cars that *do* deserve that manual gear, even though they're meant for convenience, who wouldn't resist to even try modifying or racing one legally with a freaking V8 under the hood?

Wow, you really don't get it.

I'll say it again: people buy luxury cars for their convenience. Manual transmissions are the opposite of convenience. And the typical luxury sedan owner isn't some sports car purist like you are making it sound like; someone who owns a luxury barge would never even consider modifying their car's performance, let alone race it.

I'll say it again: people buy luxury cars for their convenience. Manual transmissions are the opposite of convenience. And the typical luxury sedan owner isn't some sports car purist like you are making it sound like; someone who owns a luxury barge would never even consider modifying their car's performance, let alone race it.

Okay, since you proved me wrong, here's my actual reason for voting it uncool. I really don't like Infiniti cars. That is all.

I remember when these came out, Infiniti tried marketing them as a "Muscle Car with Brains". Didn't seem like it worked, as I maybe seen 3 on the roads around here in 14 years. As a slightly smaller, sportier version of the Q45, it wasn't bad. Looks much better in darker colors.

Meh.

Not that people who buy luxury cars ever would have had interest in a modern take on a 1980s Japanese taxicab.

a modern take on a 1980s Japanese taxicab.
That's a very complicated way to look at it, but no one in the market for a luxury car at the time would ever see it as that, mainly because most people aren't car enthusiasts or have any idea what public transport in Japan is like.

SVX
How? It's a Japanese box on wheels.
You really think these two cars look similar?

233124-jpg.665854

Hell, if you want to talk about boxy Infinitis, you could've at least brought up the second-gen, drug-dealer-esque Q45.

That's a very complicated way to look at it
Not really:
You really think these two cars look similar?

233124-jpg.665854

Yes. Quite a bit, in fact. Similar styling cues, very similar proportions, etc. It looks even more similar to the Nissan Cedric that was contemporary and a competitor with that Toyota, which Nissan took great pains to maintain a visual link with right through the end of production of the model two decades later.

Which makes sense, since... well... before Nissan very lightly reskinned it and pretended it was a luxury car, a Nissan Cedric is literally what it was. Big and square and intentionally inconspicuous so as not to offend the sensibilities of the people who retired in the 1970s. A Japanese Crown Victoria, or maybe a Japanese Opel Omega, beloved by police officers and taxi fleets. And, since you mentioned it, so was the second generation Q45.

Last edited:
Not really:

Yes. Quite a bit, in fact. Similar styling cues, very similar proportions, etc. It looks even more similar to the Nissan Cedric that was contemporary and a competitor with that Toyota, which Nissan took great pains to maintain a visual link with right through the end of production of the model two decades later.

Which makes sense, since... well... before Nissan very lightly reskinned it and pretended it was a luxury car, a Nissan Cedric is literally what it was. Big and square and intentionally inconspicuous so as not to offend the sensibilities of the people who retired in the 1970s. A Japanese Crown Victoria, or maybe a Japanese Opel Omega, beloved by police officers and taxi fleets. And, since you mentioned it, so was the second generation Q45.
Fair enough. You might see a resemblance, I don't, however. But everyone looks at things differently.

It's strange people say they don't see them on here, cause I see them pretty often really, saw one a week ago. I don't know I still feel Lexus not only was ahead of the game in this area but had better stuff in the same class at this time. Now days I'm not so sure who is better. So for me it's a meh on looks and style, the V8 while nice isn't going to save it.

Back