• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2004 TVR Typhon nominated by OriginalCheezIt

2004_TVR_Typhon1.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2004
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 256 ci/4,200 cc supercharged DOHC inline-6 (rated 585 HP & 467 lb-ft)
Transmission: 6-speed paddle shift automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: TVR T400R, TVR T440R​

Unfortunatley, it was not to be, and only two of them exist, both in heavily reduced specification with naturally aspirated engines and normal manual transmissions, known as T4** Typhons.

Looks like a Corvette with a 🤬 up front end. Even the power output doesn't save this from uncool. Oh, almost no one knows what a TVR even is. Ill pass.

Would I want to ride in one?

🤬 yeah!

Last edited:
Before TVR went bust, they lost their marbles, this and the Sagaris was the result. The Sagaris is probably less deadly though.

Sub-Zero all the way!

Last edited:
A mild cool.

It went into a path of exclusivity with the limited number of units produced, yet failed to display a uniqueness on the exterior styling. It simply looks too similar to the Tuscan and the standard T440R.

But in the end, it's still one bonkers TVR.

Looks like a Corvette with a 🤬 up front end. Even the power output doesn't save this from uncool. Oh, almost no one knows what a TVR even is. Ill pass.

Would I want to ride in one?

🤬 yeah!
TVR has been around since 1947 & was one of the largest sports car manufacturers at 1 point in time. And for such a Ford fanboy, I'm surprised you don't know that the infamous Griffith started by Jack Griffith was for the sole purpose of beating Carroll Shelby's AC by swapping a Ford 289 into the lightweight body, or that TVR would use several Ford engines as the powerplants in their cars before switching to the Rover V8s.

Way to provide American ignorance to the thread.

TVRs: Focused Sports Cars Poorly-built Deathmobiles only bought by people too stupid to buy a Porsche and too snooty to consider a Lotus Exige.

Of course, everyone knows what they are. But they haven't been relevant for years. Last time I saw a TVR in a magazine, it was in Max Power. And yes, it had a semi-naked bird straddling it.

-

That said: Sub-zero. Automatically. Sometimes, even disco can be cool.

TVR's are just cool. Period. Plus it's a scarier T400, so sub-zero all the way.

Like driving around in a large angry plastic crab which can't spell either hyphen or typhoon correctly.

Seriously uncool.

Gah, I think this one just about scrapes Sub-Zero.

There may only be two of them which makes it even more of a dream car than most TVRs, but that's still two more particularly mental TVRs in the world which is always better than nothing. That straight-6 sound alone is something any human being must experience at least once in their lives.

Last edited:

All TVRs are fiberglass, fuel-burning incarnations of songs like this. Sub-freakin'-zero and that's the end of it.

LONG LIVE TVR!

TVR's are cool just because they're built to be insane. Also non-car people will think it's unique and exotic.

Oh, almost no one knows what a TVR even is.

I think you'd find quite a few people that know about them since they were sold here, sure it's not as common as a run-of-the mill Chevy, but it's still not completely unknown.

You also have to remember there are several relatively "unknown" American brands too. Saleen, Panoz, and even Tesla was one until the release of the Model S.

All TVRs are Oasis songs?

You can't get any more uncool than Oasis...

:lol:

Rather than Oasis, I meant contemporary UK rock in general. But honestly, as soon as I saw "TVR Typhon" my mind went straight into "Tooooniiiiiiiiight...I'M A ROCK N' ROLL STAAAAAAAR!". And, what Joey D said.

He's just implying that a non-British average Joe probably has never even heard of TVR, adding to the extrapolation on this car's coolness under his own methods.
They sold TVRs outside Britain, so that's not really an excuse.

What it is, is this generation having no idea because the cars haven't been built for 8 years now.

"Wasn't built during my era; no one knows what it is".

Every single mote of coolness associated with the car is completely balanced by an equal and opposite mote of coolness - an anti-mote - of it not being what was proposed and then not really existing either.

Which should generate a "meh", but you can't "meh" a TVR. The cars that exist are just homologation specials of race cars, so... just creeping into cool.

Back