GTP Cool Wall: 2004 TVR Typhon

2004 TVR Typhon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like a Corvette with a 🤬 up front end. Even the power output doesn't save this from uncool. Oh, almost no one knows what a TVR even is. Ill pass.

Vision of cardom: diminishing every day it seems. And judging by the other Ford fan's "I'm not familiar so bleh" answer, wel... Ford blue in your veins doesn't seem to help ):

Also, this thing is awesome.

Ok, go back to the original post you quoted me from.

If you would stop editing out parts of my posts, you would get my answer before your question is even asked.

Ok. Please forgive my poor reading comprehension skills. I actually did read that, and somehow my mind was unwilling to conclude how it also implied that the manufacturer was highly prominent to the general public, even though the sentence was worded differently.

I will try to be more meticulous next time. I will stop asking questions in this thread now.

While i put Meh, I don't hate this car. It's got nothing for my tastes, though.
Gentle reminder: We're not voting on whether we like something or not, we're voting on whether it's cool.

You must be able to separate whatever personal interest you have in the car in whether you think such a vehicle deserves a "cool" or "uncool" tag, surely?

Very cool in the numbers department, the sheer ugliness drags it down to a Meh. The rear end look horrendous, and the bent looking front end isn't much better....in my opinion !

TVRs like this one are just outright damn scary! Sub-Zero.

I've never understood this point of view (expressed by many, so not only directed specifically at you, @SVT Cobra GT).

If a car is scary to drive, why does that make it cool?

Surely you want a fast car to be somewhat trustworthy so you can have some confidence to push it? A car that's scary just ends up being driven far below it's potential.

If a car is scary to drive, why does that make it cool?
It doesn't, automatically. Though it is synonymous with an endorphin rush, and pushing ourselves to do scary things is part of what makes us human.

Put it this way. You may look like a rabbit in headlights doing a skydive or bungee jumping rather than the cool, calm and collected type you'd hope for, but most people who've done things like that will immediately want to go back and do it again. The "scariness" of a TVR is, I suspect (I've never driven one) very similar. Whether you use it to its potential or not is irrelevant (most people don't take Range Rovers off road, fill Volvo estates to the roof with wardrobes, hit ~260 in Veyrons etc) but how it makes you feel very much is.

It doesn't, automatically. Though it is synonymous with an endorphin rush, and pushing ourselves to do scary things is part of what makes us human.

Put it this way. You may look like a rabbit in headlights doing a skydive or bungee jumping rather than the cool, calm and collected type you'd hope for, but most people who've done things like that will immediately want to go back and do it again. The "scariness" of a TVR is, I suspect (I've never driven one) very similar. Whether you use it to its potential or not is irrelevant (most people don't take Range Rovers off road, fill Volvo estates to the roof with wardrobes, hit ~260 in Veyrons etc) but how it makes you feel very much is.

A fast car can give you that even if it’s not scary... but a well developed one will give you a lot more chance of seeing/feeling the accident coming and preventing it happening (or surviving it)... you don’t need the fear of death (or a serious financial loss) to get an endorphin rush!

I suspect a lot of people praising cars of this type haven’t had the pleasure of driving something properly quick and there's a large dose of bravado in some of the comments. When you drive fast cars you want to know they are working with you when you push them, not that they might chuck you in to the undergrowth with zero warning.

A fast car can give you that even if it’s not scary...
I don't doubt that and certainly don't dispute it, but the availability of fast, non-scary cars shouldn't negate the need, desire (or coolness) of one that is.
I suspect a lot of people praising cars of this type haven’t had the pleasure of driving something properly quick and there's a large dose of bravado in some of the comments. When you drive fast cars you want to know they are working with you when you push them, not that they might chuck you in to the undergrowth with zero warning.
I don't doubt this either, but we're hardly talking about cars that are actually dangerous here. Realistically, a TVR owner is more likely to find themselves in a layby than a hedge...

The smell of glue can actually rot brain cells.

That's dangerous, right?

(Okay, possibly not applicable to the Typhon)

Still a Sagaris kind of guy. Just as much vaporware. Nothing will be as cool as the Sagaris, though.

Same here, I know it's supposed to have shoddy reliability and not produce as much power as TVR claimed but the Speed Six is one of the best sounding modern engines for me.

Dang, missed this poll. Ultimate evolution of the Tuscan that came just a little too late, would've been a solid SZ from me. Also I don't understand why people bitch about the looks, I think they look awesome. It's almost as if people get a little insecure at styling that doesn't follow their own little rulebook sometimes. But each to their own I guess :)

Realistically, a TVR owner is more likely to find themselves in a layby than a hedge...

I'll have you know I only saw one TVR parked up in a lay-by in an undriveable state today.

Granted, it was more likely due to the rear end damage rather than a breakdown. But at least it wasn't in a hedge. :P

Of the 5 or 6 Tuscans I've seen, only one was parked up on the hard shoulder of a motorway. I like those odds.

Back