GTP Cool Wall: 2004 TVR Typhon

2004 TVR Typhon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But would you say that it was as prominent as, for example, Aston Martin and Lotus to the general public?
No, but that has nothing at all to do with cool.

The general public doesn't need to know who make a car to determine if they think its cool or not, in fcat not knowing could be argued to up the cool factor "no idea what that is, but look how cool it looks".

No, but that has nothing at all to do with cool.

The general public doesn't need to know who make a car to determine if they think its cool or not, in fcat not knowing could be argued to up the cool factor "no idea what that is, but look how cool it looks".

Alright, understood.

By the way, I actually voted "cool", if anyone didn't notice. I was just referring to what Slash was saying, not speaking about my own way of thinking.

It's quite a looker, but it is probably a pain to drive. But, it has racing heritage, so it's just cool.

If this is build to proper TVR spec the chassis should be rusting in 5 years, and have at least one driver or passenger soiled themself in the car. Not Subzero but a very high cool. As most TVR's are.

I nearly killed myself once in a Griffith. So much fun and danger combined.

TVR, hmmmm. Like Alfa Romeo, I sort of understand why they have a cult following, but in reality, most of the cars they built were fairly rubbish.

Generally they look good (Cerbera and Sagaris are the highlights) and they are all decently quick in a straight line, but they all suffered from terrible build quality, horrendous reliability, non-existent electrics and rubbish handling.

The Speed 6 engine (as fitted in the Tuscan, making 440 hp in top spec 4.2l guise) has an awful reputation. Yes, it makes decent power (though nowhere near as much as TVR claimed for it - EVO struggled to top 170mph in one), and a decent noise, but they are a horrendously unreliable power plant. It was unusual for one not to need a full rebuild inside 25k miles, and even the best ones struggle to reach 35k. Some owners had multiple rebuilds under warranty, with some lasting less than 10k.

Given how unreliable the stock engine is, I'd have serious reservations about the Typhoon... 1) I call 'custard' on the claimed power output, and 2) it will go bang whatever power it makes.

Meh.

It's a pretty solid cool. Never been part of the cult of TVR but I like them... (my logic is stupid I know). For me it's not enough for sub zero, but isn't far away.

The Speed 6 engine (as fitted in the Tuscan, making 440 hp in top spec 4.2l guise) has an awful reputation. Yes, it makes decent power (though nowhere near as much as TVR claimed for it - EVO struggled to top 170mph in one), and a decent noise, but they are a horrendously unreliable power plant. It was unusual for one not to need a full rebuild inside 25k miles, and even the best ones struggle to reach 35k. Some owners had multiple rebuilds under warranty, with some lasting less than 10k.
I don't want to be "that guy", but I wonder if an LS engine fits in? Would solve most of the car's problems at a stroke. You'd have a solid powerplant, stunning looks and as much performance as standard. Could happily live with occasional electrical gremlins or wobbly trim as long as the engine didn't explode every few thousand miles.

There are LS swapped TVR's.

Google provides me with several models being equipped with different LS engines.

Problem solved,👍

Isn't that what the failed attempt to revive the company wanted to do anyway?
No idea. Oddly I've never been particularly interested in TVRs so didn't follow its slow death with any particular conviction or sadness. I just think the Tuscan is absolutely stunning and think it's a pity they're so god-awful as far as reliability goes.

Google provides me with several models being equipped with different LS engines.

Problem solved,👍
Nice. Yeah, I see what you mean. That would appeal to me a whole lot more.

I love TVRs, and I think an LS swap would be pretty awesome, but at the same time it would lose some of the character of the lovely straight 6. That engine is really nice. Very loud and sonorous, and it makes plenty of power. But the sound. :drool:

They sold TVRs outside Britain, so that's not really an excuse.

What it is, is this generation having no idea because the cars haven't been built for 8 years now.

"Wasn't built during my era; no one knows what it is".

Which is ironic, considering the quickness with which some of these members are willing to defend cars that were built a solid few decades before them. And will go into the minutiae of [insert rare Mustang model] as if people should care about it. Nevermind the comment about the power output not being enough to save it... *looks back at Mustang II thread*.

:lol:

Cool, for largely the reasoning Famine provided. You can't meh a TVR, but the actual Typhon didn't live up to the original specs they announced, but kept the stupid name. Had this been a Sagaris or even a Speed 12, I'd give a SZ.

Problem solved,👍

If it fits, it sits.

At that point I figure you've basically just converted a TVR into a Corvette.

They sold TVRs outside Britain, so that's not really an excuse.

What it is, is this generation having no idea because the cars haven't been built for 8 years now.

"Wasn't built during my era; no one knows what it is".
And as if by magic...
Meh. I'm not too familiar with TVRs.
Anyhoo...
A cooler, better-looking Corvette :D

If it fits, it sits.

I think a Corvette is a somewhat better handling, less likely to kill you car.

Umm...I used the word "was" instead of "is"..
Ok, go back to the original post you quoted me from.
TVR has been around since 1947 & was one of the largest sports car manufacturers at 1 point in time.

If you would stop editing out parts of my posts, you would get my answer before your question is even asked.

I'd look for an awesome square motif car over this (no, don't say Nissan Cube).

While i put Meh, I don't hate this car. It's got nothing for my tastes, though.

Back