GTP Cool Wall: 2006-2014 Mitsuoka Orochi

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 84 comments

2006-2014 Mitsuoka Orochi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't stand the DS, either. I find it looks like a big, overweight slug. I remember when I said this when it got polled years ago that I got a lot of hate for saying it.

Last edited:
Most of the world's top designers (and cars they designed) are from European countries and manufacturers.

What makes a top designer? Designing a lot of beautiful cars? Even if there haven't been as many great American or Asian designers they still have an opinion, and it should be a factor if we're deciding the world's most beautiful car. In that case the award should have been "Europe's most beautiful car", as there is simply too much room for bias in the result.

Again, you clearly didn't read the article. I'm not going to list all the names for you, but there is actually a list of all 20 if you were to, I don't know, just read the article? Is it so hard?

YOU clearly didn't read the article. Stop making false accusations. I just went through every name on the 🤬 list for you. Every one of those designers worked for European brands. The only one who wasn't European was Ken Okuyama, but he worked for Pininfarina.

Also, Europe is not a country. It is a continent, and as such has many different nations within it. Each has its own culture; not all of Europe is the same and people from Europe do not identify themselves as European first and [British, French, German, Italian, etc.] second.

I never said Europe was a country! I'm not an idiot, stop making me look like one to try to win a 🤬 debate! Europe is one of the three regions of the automotive world, the others being Asia/Oceania and North America. The designs of all European cars are similar in comparison to American and Asian designs, which are clearly different. European designers concluded a European car was the most beautiful in the world. How is that supposed to be accurate?

And finally, the reason the 250 was divided up into sub models was because they had different body styles. You're not about to tell me that the 250 Lusso looks exactly the same as the 250 GTO are you?

Body styles, huh? Let's see, for the Ferrari 250's we've got nothing but coupes. The Citreon DS?

Citroen_DS21_Cabriolet_ca_1967.jpg

Citroen_DS_19_1955_002.jpg

And that's spanning 20 years of production with facelifts in 1962 and 1967. The Citroen DS line was far more diverse than the Ferrari 250's, and yet it was still voted as one car.

YOU clearly didn't read the article. Stop making false accusations. I just went through every name on the 🤬 list for you. Every one of those designers worked for European brands. The only one who wasn't European was Ken Okuyama, but he worked for Pininfarina.
You initially complained that there were only Europeans on the list. Now you're complaining that they all worked in Europe. I don't see what's wrong with top automotive designers moving to a different country to work for the most famous companies in their field. That would be like saying that everyone in Silicon Valley is biased towards Apple because they don't live in Seattle.

And you say that Ken Okuyama was the only one not from Europe, but I was under the impression that Tom Tjaarda was American. Or did your extensive reading of the article not get to his name?
I never said Europe was a country! I'm not an idiot, stop making me look like one to try to win a 🤬 debate! Europe is one of the three regions of the automotive world, the others being Asia/Oceania and North America.
You implied it by comparing the number of Europeans to the number of Japanese and Americans, which was not a fair comparison. You could have easily said that there were more Europeans than North Americans and Asians.

The designs of all European cars are similar in comparison to American and Asian designs, which are clearly different. European designers concluded a European car was the most beautiful in the world. How is that supposed to be accurate?
I don't know about you, but I don't feel that it's quite so easy to classify the looks of cars by where they were designed. Yes, there are differences, but the fact is that art is art. Beauty doesn't change depending on where it is in the world. I think it's safe to say that when faced with a choice between a Fiat Multipla and an FD RX-7, most Europeans would rather look at the RX-7.

Body styles, huh? Let's see, for the Ferrari 250's we've got nothing but coupes.
So obviously all coupes look the same, right?
The Citreon DS?

And that's spanning 20 years of production with facelifts in 1962 and 1967. The Citroen DS line was far more diverse than the Ferrari 250's, and yet it was still voted as one car.
There was a convertible, an estate, and the standard saloon. The headlights were changed a few times in the 20 year production run. That's it. Your photos very clearly show that the cars still had the same basic styling.

I also think it's fairly obvious that they were referring to the normal saloon version of the DS. They would have otherwise specified the different body style, since they had specific names.

What makes a top designer? Designing a lot of beautiful cars? Even if there haven't been as many great American or Asian designers they still have an opinion, and it should be a factor if we're deciding the world's most beautiful car. In that case the award should have been "Europe's most beautiful car", as there is simply too much room for bias in the result.

Top designer = someone that is prestigious, well known and has many examples of good designs.

That obviously means a high amount of the most prestigious and well known designers came from Europe. They're not going to make a poll and have fillers from other countries just to increase the variety of countries, the designers were obviously chosen for a reason, and that reason was stated above. The fact that most of them came from Europe or the designers worked for European countries means nothing, they still have a brain and know what the qualities of a good design is. Are you going to say the poll is irrelevant because it doesn't cover all age bases?

I never said Europe was a country! I'm not an idiot, stop making me look like one to try to win a 🤬 debate! Europe is one of the three regions of the automotive world, the others being Asia/Oceania and North America. The designs of all European cars are similar in comparison to American and Asian designs, which are clearly different. European designers concluded a European car was the most beautiful in the world. How is that supposed to be accurate?

First of all, relax, please.

The poll was created as a 'battle royal' poll, where some of the most prestigious and well known designers would chose which of the following cars, which are known for being the most beautiful in the world is the best. The most beautiful car out of a list of the most beautiful cars in the world is obviously going to be the most beautiful car created, right? You wouldn't just randomly put cars such as Toyota Camrys or Pontiac Aztecs in the poll, and you know why? Because they're not known for being beautiful. The cars listed are known for being beautiful. It's practically a list of the most common cars for people to say 'I think this is the most beautiful car in the world', and out of these cars the 'winner' was chosen by people who actually have designed cars themselves, and have been in the business for a long time so they know what the quality of a beautiful car is.

Of course it's always going to be subjective, as I mentioned before I particularly loathe the DS as well, but for something like this there is always going to be a minority. The poll seems like it did its job well, judging by the amount of outrage caused from saying you disliked it.

Body styles, huh? Let's see, for the Ferrari 250's we've got nothing but coupes. The Citreon DS?

That's because the car voted for was the Citroen DS, not the DS21 Break, nor the Cabriolet.

Last edited:
I'd debate whether the DS is the prettiest ever, but it's on my top twenty list, at least.

It's not a very traditional design... anyone looking for three chords and a chorus here are going to be vastly disappointed. But if you take it as a design in and of itself, without any preconceptions of what a car should look like, it's a very attractive thing, with dainty styling and clean, uncluttered lines.

Also, of course, the top designers will have worked in Europe. That's like complaining all the "racing engineers" polled in an F1 best engineering innovations list are people who worked in Europe... that's because most of the high level racing engineering work is in Europe.

There are very few iconic designs to have come out of Japan or America. And quite a few of those were designed by European transplants.

*I'm not going to post a similar defense of the Orochi. I like it specifically because it's ugly, and an interesting exercise in styling, as opposed to something like the Youabian Puma, which was not so much designed as congealed.

I guess to me the DS resembles a '50s-'60s sportscar chopped down the middle and pulled apart to fit the passenger cabin from an upright four-door sedan. Without the headlight covers, greenhouse, or rear doors -- as in the black convertible above -- I think it looks pretty good, with the dainty styling and clean lines niky described. Otherwise, it's about as appealing as those sporty sloped-roof crossovers being built today.

And you know, ten years ago I had about the same reaction to the Orochi as you see in this thread today, but after some of the designs that have appeared since, it's not as offensive as I remembered. It's certain details that snag your eye, such as the baleen-like grille or holes in the hood. I recall chuckling at the headlights/taillights for resembling a wild-eyed insect, but I guess they seem perfectly normal after you've witnessed what comes out of Italy these days.

that's because most of the high level racing engineering work is in Europe the UK.
Fixed ;)

Edit: Just to confirm, I do know the UK is in Europe, but I thought I'd be specific since we're all aiming for accuracy here, right? :sly:

DS? Love it. At its best as a later faired-in headlamp car, in black. Prettiest ever? No, but one of the great car designs.

Orochi? I normally relax on designs, like @Wolfe, but this thing really hasn't improved with age for me.

I think it looks great with the insane Evangelion paint job, but otherwise it looks a little odd.

Yes, I am massively biased.

I don't see what's so amazing about the DS either. It's just another old European car to me.

The Citroen DS certainly is a revolutionary car, it was very ahead of its time. Let me put it this way: what are the first cars that come to mind when I say the 50s? For many it'll be Bel Airs, Impalas, etc. Now, compare them to the DS. The DS looks 2 decades newer than it actually is, which is pretty incredible.

Buuuut I still can't stand it's looks. :P

Last edited:
It's another car that really does look faster than it actually is, which is not all that cool for a car. I mean, for a normal person; they're going to expect speed when you make a car look fast, which results in disappointment. That and the fact it looks horrendous is what makes this car uncool.

There are some cars thet are so ugly, weird and quirky that turn to cool. This is not one of those cars. I dislike it a lot and I am not quite sure why. SU

I'm sorry, is this the Citroen DS cool wall post or the Mitsuoka Orochi cool wall post?

Anyway, it's ugly, not particularly interesting outside of styling and you have to explain to people what it is. SU

Looking at the car again, it looks like the guy from Monsters Inc., what was his name, Mr Waternoose? The one James Coburn voiced.

Back