GTP Cool Wall: 2007-2008 Acura TL Type-S

2007-2008 Acura TL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact that it has a somewhat powerful V6 might make it fun to drive...

But the overall look of it can't save it... it's a solid meh

It's a Meh for me.

I do like that it looks a liiiiitle bit like the CL9 Accord Euro but ultimately it's not, and the V6 doesn't save it. It's just "some car."

It's so generic, it's so bland, it blends with the background to the point of disappearing, not worthy of any good or bad attention...so Meh...

Except it's uncool, because being "Meh" is uncool.

But like I said: the front-wheel drive underpinnings are not the handicap most people think they are. Better marketing and product planning could overcome that. As it is, no matter how good the products are, they're suffering from a huge image problem.

Almost everything I've heard about the new RLX has been positive, particularly when matched with the SH-AWD. And yet, the RL has been one of the lowest-selling cars in the US for the past few years. Acura is doing a smart thing by consolidating their lineup to eliminate overlap, but it isn't enough to put them into the heads of people who likely jump into Audis or BMWs, let alone Volvos and Volkswagens. And that's a huge problem.

I think it's a really good car and actually get a little excited when I see the rare type S but it wouldn't go past meh. Don't find it uncool though.

Uncool as many people stated on the first thread and due to me having the same notions no need to repeat them.

Also because I see the G35 as the pinnacle of SU when it comes to these types of cars.

Last edited:
....sorry I nodded off....

This is one of the least inspiring cars I've ever seen. I've driven them before though and they are very nice but nothing about it evokes any emotion.

Honestly I don't see how the TL is any more bland than your average BMW 3-series or Audi A4, none of the cars in that segment are particularly inspiring to look at or drive.

In fact I think the Acura is cooler then its German counterparts, if only because it hasn't become a fad like the BMW/Audi/Merc, which seem to be the default choice for every starting businessman/banker/whatever. I'm giving it a low cool especially as its the Type-S.

Honestly I don't see how the TL is any more bland than your average BMW 3-series or Audi A4, none of the cars in that segment are particularly inspiring to look at or drive.

In fact I think the Acura is cooler then its German counterparts, if only because it hasn't become a fad like the BMW/Audi/Merc, which seem to be the default choice for every starting businessman/banker/whatever. I'm giving it a low cool especially as its the Type-S.

To be fair, I think a non-RS4 A4 or a non-M 3-series would also get a "meh"-ful reception around here. With more people voting uncool for the Bimmer.

(and I like the 3-series, mind you)

An unassuming and uninspiring luxury car. Competing but boring. Not one of the hip Audi or BMWs. Meh.

It's a fancy Honda. The engineerers were so lazy they didn't even give it RWD, which is what Infiniti and Lexus have. Uncool.

Because it's so much easier to build a RWD car right?

Do you have any idea of the additional packaging constraints that is required in a FWD car? You know that sticking a driveshaft and a rear differential to a car is actually quite simple.

Not to mention the additional space benefit you get in the rear because there isn't a rear drivetrain.

You mean, the engineers were so lazy they didn't entirely re-engineer the selected front-wheel drive platform at a cost of billions of dollars, unlike Infiniti and Lexus who designed their own dedicated rear-wheel drive platforms for their respective models?

That's be the slightly more accurate, slightly less myopic take on it.

And to add, because Honda knows how to make great FWD cars and more than 99% of the world would not even begin to be able to tell that the TL is FWD instead of RWD, so what's the point in making the investment?

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost billions of dollars just to develop an FR drivetrain.

To develop and mass produce one that won't blow up as soon as you turn the keys to start the engine?

It sure does.

Now I understand why your Create a Car Company game costs were so wildly unrealistic.

Last edited:
And to add, because Honda knows how to make great FWD cars and more than 99% of the world would not even begin to be able to tell that the TL is FWD instead of RWD, so what's the point in making the investment?

That's like saying ALL cars should be FWD- nobody will be able to tell the difference, and the only people that will care are motorheads like us?

Because it's so much similar to build a RWD car right?

Nope, not what I said at all- Acura should build RWD cars to compete with other luxury brands. They are too similar to their Honda counterparts to sell well.

Now I understand why your Create a Car Company game costs were so wildly unrealistic.

You realize it didn't even use actual currency, and that the game ran on a credit system? Oh, that's right, you didn't even play the game. Think before you speak.

That's like saying ALL cars should be FWD- nobody will be able to tell the difference, and the only people that will care are motorheads like us?

Actually, yeah, to the vast majority of the world that does not live in the country (ie. those that don't need four wheel drive), FWD cars are perfectly fine.

Remember, car enthusiasts are a very very small amount of the population.

Nope, not what I said at all- Acura should build RWD cars to compete with other luxury brands. They are too similar to their Honda counterparts to sell well.

I misspoke and it has since been corrected to better reflect my point. My apologies for my original mistake.

You realize it didn't even use actual currency, and that the game ran on a credit system? Oh, that's right, you didn't even play the game. Think before you speak.

You know why I didn't participate? Yeah, it's because of the completely unrealistic costs and method of running the game. Though I recognize that the costs weren't based on actual currency, the relative costs between various items should be more reflective of reality, and the differences in economic power and costs of doing business in various locations should have been as well. I may as well start out by saying that my I4 car makes a trillion horsepower and is the best handling car in the world while being able to seat 7 people and getting amazing as mileage while only costing no more than a typical small car and win the game.

The cost of developing an engine less than the cost of building a dealership? The cost of an office building being half the cost of a "small" factory? No recurring costs included whatsoever at all? :lol:

That game was nothing more than a load of horse manure.

Seriously Uncool.

A very 'bleh' fwd car that outclassed by rwd rivals. (Lexus IS, Caddy CTS, G35, 3-Series)
Acura was always able to stay close to Infiniti & Lexus during this era.
JMoney689
It's a fancy Honda. The engineerers were so lazy they didn't even give it RWD, which is what Infiniti and Lexus have. Uncool.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...350-vs-3-g35-at-willow-springs-racetrack.html

1. TL-S 6MT - 1:36:67 sec
2. IS350 - 1:38:24
3. G35 6MT - 1:38:67

RWD purist, eat your heart out.

That's what BMW is thinking, with the new 2-series.

Most people can't tell the difference. At all. The perceptions of off-throttle understeer, ride comfort and traction are more affected by vehicle design parameters outside of the drive-wheel choice.

While enthusiasts can tell the difference, the situations in which it is noticeable are few and far between in everyday driving. The situations in which it actually matters are even rarer.

Fine, but keep in mind that Big Willow has very few technical corners that RWD would hold an advantage for; most of the corners can be taken flat out, so the drivetrain wouldn't matter much there anyway.

Christ.

------The point.------>

Your head.

You said the engineers were lazy because they didn't give it RWD. Obviously they weren't as lazy as you say they were if the car can outlap its supposedly not lazily engineered RWD competitors with similar power outputs.

While enthusiasts can tell the difference, the situations in which it is noticeable are few and far between in everyday driving. The situations in which it actually matters are even rarer.
Only if you live in a place where it doesn't snow. ;)

Back