GTP Cool Wall: 2009+ Citroen DS3

2009+ Citroen DS3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A high cool. It has rallying pedigree and it seems like a hoot to drive.

Well I'm voting assuming it's the 204 hp gas version...cool, solidly. Bet it's a blast on a twisty back country road.

Sub Zero. As soon as I saw one in metal, I knew that it was the first French car that I truly did want. It looks coold and sharp, has sufficient performance for a hot hatch, and has WRC in blood.

Quirky, though to my tastes somewhat overstyled, Citroen hatch, but exudes the sort of character some economy cars in this sector only dream of having.

A low Cool. It's not going to be Sub-Zero though because in this price range there's a loooooot of European company at the helm that's similar in badge character and style.

Wait, this is the car that is used in the Citroen Rally Championship now? Now I wish I voted Seriously Uncool.

In the World Rally Championship, yes.

s1_1.jpg

Chic little French car. Ugly interior though. Cool it gets.

I'd give it a second glance here in the States, but only because we don't get them. The 200-hp turbo bumps it from meh to slightly cool.

Solid cool. As mentioned it's a chic little French car, and if you were somehow to get one in North America you'd be way cooler than any Fiat 500/Scion iQ/Smart driver.

8/10 would drive.

It allows people to select the colour combination of their roof and wing mirrors, often with disastrous results.
But people with good taste would have something that looks nice, like all-black. Or even my personal choice, blue with black mirrors and black roof with the emblem on the roof also black with a gold outline. In my mind, that would look damn sexy.

But people with good taste would have something that looks nice, like all-black. Or even my personal choice, blue with black mirrors and black roof with the emblem on the roof also black with a gold outline. In my mind, that would look damn sexy.
But at the same time you have to remember that good taste changes depending on the person. What you might consider good taste my be different for someone like me but that can be the case with a lot of things.

But at the same time you have to remember that good taste changes depending on the person. What you might consider good taste my be different for someone like me but that can be the case with a lot of things.
Yea people have different tastes which is why I think its great they let people personalize their car a bit more

Safe choices =/= good taste. Sometimes the two are interchangeable, other times, not so much.

Gave it a cool; Citroen rediscovered the idea of having an identity past being the slightly cheaper version of Pugs with the more recent models, and the DS3's a unique enough hatch that I wish it were sold here. The Mini-shared engine is a strong one, and I still like that shark fin detail in the pillar. But it's combination of newness and relatively common nature denies it anything past that rating, IMO.

...it's combination of newness and relatively common nature denies it anything past [cool], IMO.
I hadn't realized this was the WRC car, which kinda made me wish I had voted "cool" instead of Meh, but I can relate to this. The average common FWD car needs to age a bit before I can get enthused about it.

Even though I've had my input I really feel the need to say this.

I know we all have our own perception of what's cool or not, but what floors me is how people can think a itty-bitty little econobox can possibly be even remotely considered a cool car. Maybe its just how I grew up, but if you took this anywhere and proclaimed this was a pretty cool and fits in with other what a lot of people consider a cool car, you'd get laughed at and written off by a lot of people and honestly, I have to agree. I'm sorry and I don't know about you all but I know for a fact I don't want to get laughed at and be embarrassed. If you want a cool car you have to get a car that stands out, is respected for what it is, and make sure people know about it. That's why people say they are cool...they stick out from the rest. They attract positive attention. They make people want to ask questions and no more about it. This little thing just blends in with the rest of the crowd. There is absolutely nothing interesting about this car. Its boring to look at, actually somewhat ugly, doesn't sound good, likely cramped inside(can't confirm), has what appears to be somewhat weak overall power output regardless of whatever it weighs (though that doesn't mean its not somewhat fast) etc etc. I can probably bet that if you took this to a car show most people would just walk right by. At least to me, a vehicle is an extension of your personality and maybe to some of you, you want those people to walk on by. But with me I am eager to share it with the world and everything I know about it. That's what makes it cool. I want to own that head turner. I like that people notice. I like it when non car people drop everything to stare. And personally, I don't give a crap if you think I'm a jackass for doing donuts in my car, obnoxious burnouts or driving with absurdly loud exhaust.

It just does not scream cool to me, and likely to a lot of other people as well. That's why you see kids hang up posters of Lamborghini's or Camaros in their bedroom. When was the last time you ever heard of a kid hanging a picture of some unheard of economy car that 3/4 of the car enthusiast world couldn't give two craps about?

/rant

Sorry had to get that out. All in all I'm not saying its a bad car, I'm just saying I can't understand how something like this can be viewed as cool.

Last edited:
I know we all have our own perception of what's cool or not, but what floors me is how people can think a itty-bitty little econobox can possibly be even remotely considered a cool car.

Doesn't this statement contradict itself?

Not exactly.

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or understand how that opinion was formed. From my viewpoint, I can't understand how someone could think a car like this is cool. I will easily take some obnoxious muscle car and yes I will drive it how I like (as long as I'm safe about it) and no I don't care if you think I'm a tool because I drive a V8 car and punch it from every stop no matter how stupid you think I look. In fact, in said situation if you did think I looked like a tool, good. I feel something like that is cool because its noticeable. Drive this through town and no one stops to give it a second look. It just doesn't make sense.

But what I can do is respect an opinion despite all that and how hard it might be. Like I said I just don't understand sometimes. And its not something you can just explain either. But I guess this could be said for any opinion really.

Last edited:
I know we all have our own perception of what's cool or not, but what floors me is how people can think a itty-bitty little econobox can possibly be even remotely considered a cool car.

For every person who doesn't think hatchbacks are cool, there are people who dislike muscle cars and large trucks. Different tastes, yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe its just how I grew up, but if you took this anywhere and proclaimed this was a pretty cool and fits in with other what a lot of people consider a cool car, you'd get laughed at and written off by a lot of people and honestly, I have to agree.

Don't let the opinions of others get to you.

I'm sorry and I don't know about you all but I know for a fact I don't want to get laughed at and be embarrassed. If you want a cool car you have to get a car that stands out, is respected for what it is, and make sure people know about it.

Some people prefer the subtle cool that cars like these have, where only those in the loop know what they're seeing. When you come across someone who knows what's up, it's like having your own little exclusive club.

That's why people say they are cool...they stick out from the rest. They attract positive attention. They make people want to ask questions and no more about it.

Like I said above, some prefer only being confronted by those who know what's up. Talking cars with someone who's only a passive enthusiast (or doesn't know anything about cars) can be pretty draining.

This little thing just blends in with the rest of the crowd. There is absolutely nothing interesting about this car. Its boring to look at, actually somewhat ugly, doesn't sound good, likely cramped inside(can't confirm), has what appears to be somewhat weak overall power output regardless of whatever it weighs (though that doesn't mean its not somewhat fast) etc etc.

It does, however, have a nicely constructed interior, gets good gas mileage and handles well. As a commuter, those are all pretty desirable qualities.

I can probably bet that if you took this to a car show most people would just walk right by. At least to me, a vehicle is an extension of your personality and maybe to some of you, you want those people to walk on by. But with me I am eager to share it with the world and everything I know about it. That's what makes it cool. I want to own that head turner. I like that people notice. I like it when non car people drop everything to stare.

I know I'd prefer it if most people walked past, but again, different opinions. Those who know what they're being faced with will ask you about it, and those conversations are a lot more worthwhile, I think.

It just does not scream cool to me, and likely to a lot of other people as well. That's why you see kids hang up posters of Lamborghini's or Camaros in their bedroom. When was the last time you ever heard of a kid hanging a picture of some unheard of economy car that 3/4 of the car enthusiast world couldn't give two craps about?

Not all cool cars are something you'd hang up in your bedroom. ;)

but what floors me is how people can think a itty-bitty little econobox can possibly be even remotely considered a cool car. Maybe its just how I grew up, but if you took this anywhere and proclaimed this was a pretty cool and fits in with other what a lot of people consider a cool car, you'd get laughed at and written off by a lot of people and honestly, I have to agree.

Channeling The keyboard warrior from Alaska are we?

likely cramped inside(can't confirm)

Of all the cars of that size sold here, I have never got into one and thought that the I could touch the passenger window from behind the drivers seat.

has what appears to be somewhat weak overall power output regardless of whatever it weighs (though that doesn't mean its not somewhat fast) etc etc.

There was a 204HP version, the limited edition Racing. And this not meant to be a sports car. And lets not forget the WRC variant.

At least to me, a vehicle is an extension of your personality and maybe to some of you, you want those people to walk on by. But with me I am eager to share it with the world and everything I know about it. That's what makes it cool. I want to own that head turner. I like that people notice. I like it when non car people drop everything to stare.

And this one is no exception.

when was the last time you ever heard of a kid hanging a picture of some unheard of economy car that 3/4 of the car enthusiast world couldn't give two craps about?

The only reason you think it's a "unheard of economy car" is because it's not sold here. Ask someone in Europe about it and they can tell you about it.

For every person who doesn't think hatchbacks are cool, there are people who dislike muscle cars and large trucks. Different tastes, yadda yadda yadda.

Trust me, I definitely get that. At the same time though little things like this particular car it doesn't click in my brain. Maybe its just me.

Don't let the opinions of others get to you.

I have a bad habit of doing that. I like to impress people. That's just how I'm wired.

Some people prefer the subtle cool that cars like these have, where only those in the loop know what they're seeing. When you come across someone who knows what's up, it's like having your own little exclusive club.

Another thing I am against. I get how that is but that isn't me at all and because of that it feels like its wrong, if you know what I mean. Because its not how I do things. But then again I have a BA problem with wanting last word on everything and assuming everything I like is automatically right and you are wrong no matter the evidence against me. That has an effect here.

Like I said above, some prefer only being confronted by those who know what's up. Talking cars with someone who's only a passive enthusiast (or doesn't know anything about cars) can be pretty draining.

Again, exact opposite. I don't like just talking to maybe one or 2 people, I want everyone to know.

It does, however, have a nicely constructed interior, gets good gas mileage and handles well. As a commuter, those are all pretty desirable qualities.

Quite, to the right people. Though I don't really agree on the interior however. Opinions opinions :lol:

I know I'd prefer it if most people walked past, but again, different opinions. Those who know what they're being faced with will ask you about it, and those conversations are a lot more worthwhile, I think.

Not me. I want to draw a large crowd with my vehicle. Popular vehicles do just that which is why they are popular. I'm a very outspoken person.

Not all cool cars are something you'd hang up in your bedroom. ;)
I wouldn't consider them cool if you didn't. ;)

Azure Flare
Of all the cars of that size sold here, I have never got into one and thought that the I could touch the passenger window from behind the drivers seat.

That wasn't the point I was making. Its the fact that I feel extremely squished in small cars. Take my moms Focus for example. That car is a pain. Cramped inside and a pain in the ass to get in and out of.

Azure Flare
There was a 204HP version, the limited edition Racing. And this not meant to be a sports car. And lets not forget the WRC variant.

I never said it had to be a sports car but a sporty car is something I would consider cool if it was prepped right. This car doesn't even look sporty let alone what the specs say. This car has literally nothing going for it other than being a reliable a to b cruiser unless you are a WRC fan which Im not and have 0 interest in. Not cool. If its got the looks of a sporty car I don't care if it had 12 horsepower. Partly why I like the MII despite its shortcomings.

Azure Flare
The only reason you think it's a "unheard of economy car" is because it's not sold here. Ask someone in Europe about it and they can tell you about it.

If it was sold here I still probably wouldn't have even heard of it and if I had I would probably even have less interest in it. The fact is in blends in with your normal, typical a to b car with no big standout features and that is not cool.

Last edited:
Maybe its just how I grew up, but if you took this anywhere and proclaimed this was a pretty cool and fits in with other what a lot of people consider a cool car, you'd get laughed at and written off by a lot of people and honestly, I have to agree. I'm sorry and I don't know about you all but I know for a fact I don't want to get laughed at and be embarrassed. If you want a cool car you have to get a car that stands out, is respected for what it is, and make sure people know about it. That's why people say they are cool...they stick out from the rest. They attract positive attention.
I will easily take some obnoxious muscle car and yes I will drive it how I like (as long as I'm safe about it) and no I don't care if you think I'm a tool because I drive a V8 car and punch it from every stop no matter how stupid you think I look. In fact, in said situation if you did think I looked like a tool, good.
Does not compute.
That's why you see kids hang up posters of Lamborghini's or Camaros in their bedroom. When was the last time you ever heard of a kid hanging a picture of some unheard of economy car that 3/4 of the car enthusiast world couldn't give two craps about?
Don't know if you've noticed, but kids are idiots and make stupid choices and decisions - which is why we don't let them do some things independently or be involved in decision-making processes.

If we let their bedroom walls be the arbiter of cool, Justin Bieber and Twilight are cooler than any car.

Latest Posts

Back