• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2012+ Chevrolet Sonic nominated by doodlemonoply

800px-2012_Chevrolet_Sonic_2LT_--_11-10-2011.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2011+
Style: 4-door sedan, 5-door hatchback
Engine: LUV 83 ci/1,364 cc turbocharged DOHC inline 4 (rated 138 HP & 148 lb-ft), LUW 110 ci/1,796 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 138 HP & 125 lb-ft)
Transmission: F17 5-speed manual, M32 6-speed manual, 6T30 6-speed automatic, 6T40 6-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, front-drive
AKA: Chevrolet Aveo, Holden Barina​

Seriously uncool. I want to barf every time I see it and they are just godawful in every way imaginable. And they are unreliable turds from what I have heard, though I can't comment on that since I haven't owned one. The Aveo was junk though. How the hell can somone like that.

I haven't really heard very many good things about GM in recent years concerning reliability. The reason I don't care for this car is that it's essentially another Aveo.

And I was appalled at how uninteresting the Aveo was. This car is no different.

SERIOUSLY UNCOOL

Another Korea-developed pile of uninteresting vehicle. Much better vehicles for the money, also owned almost entirely by provisional-license-holding teenage girls (along with the Barina Spark) that pay more attention to their driver's side vanity mirror than the road.

Seriously Uncool.

I've heard it's a very nice little car and that it's actually fun to drive and fairly refined. It has some neat design features and is definitely one of the cooler cars in the segment, even though there are a few cars that are a bit more fun and practical for a similar price. I'll give it a cool.

They aren't awful cars, but they aren't very interesting either. I'll give it a 'meh' since there's no real feeling one way or another towards it.

I'm not sure where people are getting that it's slow. It's 7.8s 0-60 which isn't supercar fast but for something that cost $16,000 new that's not awful, especially when you look at other cars it competes with. A Fit is about 9 seconds and a Fiesta is around 9.5 second.

They're uninteresting, slow, probably unreliable, ugly, and pretty slow. Seriously Uncool.

Don't forget slow (even though those stats suggest that model has a fair amount of power, especially for a B-segment vehicle).

It's still not a cool car in any case. Though when you compare it to something like the Kalos, it can at least get nudged into "meh" territory. It helps that I don't feel any interest or immense disinterest towards it.

Last edited:
Seriously uncool.

Only the French or Italians can build a cool supermini, because only French or Italian superminis look right parked outside a stylish little coffee house in Milan or Paris or similarly cool cities.

The Sonic would look better parked outside McDonalds.

I don't doubt it's a good car either, though reviews-wise the one we get in Europe sits fairly low down the pile in its class, so it can't even score points back for being a better car than similar vehicles.

Joey D
I'm not sure where people are getting that it's slow. It's 7.8s 0-60 which isn't supercar fast but for something that cost $16,000 new that's not awful, especially when you look at other cars it competes with. A Fit is about 9 seconds and a Fiesta is around 9.5 second.

Both of those cars have the MSRP of the base naturally aspirated Sonic which does 0-60 on the bad side of 10secs.

Both of those cars have the MSRP of the base naturally aspirated Sonic which does 0-60 on the bad side of 10secs.

Those cars were just thrown out there as examples to show the RS isn't slow for its class. I wasn't directly comparing them in any way other than how they might be cross shopped.

I own one. It's... a car. Gets me to school and back, fairly fun to drive (especially with the turbo and manual transmission), and gets insane fuel mileage. Several hundred thousand times better than the Aveo, but still a meh from me.

This is about as mediocre as it gets in the B-segment, and the only real reason to choose it over its competitors is that you can get 5 doors and diesel power for way less than an equivalent Clio or Fiesta. The base VCDi is seriously a steal.
Still, the Aveo retains its title as the official 'good enough' supermini. Uncool.

... but ... didn't you just do exactly that?

*runs away to grab some popcorn in anticipation of another argument*

As for the car. It's a poorly made Daewoo badged as a Chevy. It's cheap enough for little old ladies who want to go to the supermarket and then bingo. Uncool.

Cheap and good looking small car. Not awful, but not a head turner either. It was build for being your average city car and nothing more... so it's a meh for me...

Those come turbo? Wow that moves it from Uncool to meh maybe even border line cool....I do like small cars.

Yeah, turbodiesel...
Are you sure its Diesel? It seems to be gas on the US Chevy site. If it is Diesel that is big news for the US market because for a while the only diesel small car was a VW Golf.

Back