GTP Cool Wall: 2012+ Chevrolet Sonic

2012+ Chevrolet Sonic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll give it a cool because of the gauge cluster and because it actually has a respectable power/weight ratio in turbo form.

Chevy-Sonic-instrument-panel-2.jpg

I love that gauge cluster, personally. No nonsense on there, and a funny little light yelling at me to upshift in order to save gas. Honestly, I really like this little car. I've had some seat time in a 1.8 LS, and even in basic trim, it was a lot of fun to drive. It's the first time in a long time that you can tell that, for the most part, GM gave a damn while designing their small car. Yes, it is a bit overweight. Yes, the 1.4T doesn't breathe as well as it should. Yes, the RS model is a joke when compared to the Fiesta ST.

...But, I like them. A lot. It gets a solid cool from me if it's a hatchback. The sedan is definitely an uncool.

Also, this:
SEMA-JDM-20-copy-800x533.jpg

I love that gauge cluster, personally. No nonsense on there, and a funny little light yelling at me to upshift in order to save gas. Honestly, I really like this little car. I've had some seat time in a 1.8 LS, and even in basic trim, it was a lot of fun to drive. It's the first time in a long time that you can tell that, for the most part, GM gave a damn while designing their small car. Yes, it is a bit overweight. Yes, the 1.4T doesn't breathe as well as it should. Yes, the RS model is a joke when compared to the Fiesta ST.

...But, I like them. A lot. It gets a solid cool from me if it's a hatchback. The sedan is definitely an uncool.

Also, this:
SEMA-JDM-20-copy-800x533.jpg

Exactly. I regret not test driving one, even though my 2 is probably more fun to drive in any case. The Sonic looks pretty cool, I just don't like the headlights.

How is it a Daewoo? The previous generation Aveo was, but this isn't.

While built in America for the US market, the GM Gamma II platform is developed by GM Korea, f.k.a Daewoo. For the AUDM the Holden Barina [Spark] is also built in Korea.

Also from sitting in and playing around with a couple, the interior looks and feels like it's come straight out of a Daewoo as well, gauge cluster aside.

It's not a Daewoo, exclusively, however, and it's officially now a GM project since they took over Daewoo, unlike the old Aveo, which, if I recall, was already developed when GM took over.

Here, you have a new platform, new engines, great styling.

Heck, great styling, good refinement, good body control... good engine range.

This is nothing like the Aveo, which was a horrible, horrible car with an engine that combined the economy of a 2.0 with the power of a 1.0. The Sonic is actually something you might consider buying someday.

-

Seriously uncool, because it's still dull as dishwater to drive. Dull steering, dull throttle response, slow transmission... And I hate the gimmicky motorcycle gauges, too. The LED-screen is flimsy and cheap and there are way too many blank lights in the surround.

It's just meh. Not a car that makes you look like a douche but other than the gauge cluster there's nothing interesting about it.

Looks like an OAP mobile.

Seriously Uncool, unless you wear tweed and have Werthers originals somewhere in the car, if this being the case your opinion is void.

Seriously uncool, because it's still dull as dishwater to drive. Dull steering, dull throttle response, slow transmission... And I hate the gimmicky motorcycle gauges, too. The LED-screen is flimsy and cheap and there are way too many blank lights in the surround.
What impresses me is that they made the one in the Spark look even cheaper and nastier somehow.

Gave it a cool, just barely though. (Don't kill me but...) looks a bit sporty, maybe trying too hard, for a car to get from point a to b. Turbos in hatchbacks are awesome, it's small, very cheap, and gets great gas mileage. Good car.

Must be a Ferrari then.

Sacrilege!

What impresses me is that they made the one in the Spark look even cheaper and nastier somehow.

I've seen the LED/LCD screen in the Spark bleed on a new car. Not an encouraging sight.

Correct. Platform by GM Korea, engines mostly by Opel apart from the turbodiesel which is a Fiat Multijet design IIRC. In this respect it's much like the Cruze.

To be fair, I recall you could get VM Motori and GM engines in the Optra/Forenza. Woe toyou if you got one with the original Daewoo four-banger, though. Worst.motor.ever.

Sadly, they never released one with a 302.

I never would've suspected such a car would garner so many negative opinions. Honestly, I thought enthusiasts were at most, alright with the Sonic. From what I've heard it's a pretty good little hatch that handles alright, has a nice little 1.4T and from personal experience, has an interior that appears pretty well put together, at least on high trims. I gave it a cool because it continues to be my favorite subcompact, though it's demoted to second best if we're lumping the Mini into that class, too.

Woops!!! :scared:

I jumped into conclussions too early, thanks for the heads up! ;)

Either way, that one looks very serious... :crazy:

It has a turbo, it's fuel efficient, reliable, it looks good, it's fun to drive. Personally, I think the sedan looks better than the hatchback.

Sub-Zero.

I own one as well.

Last edited:
All you people complaining about how they're slow need to lower your expectations from cars. Not every car needs 500hp and a zero-to-sixty time that doesn't surpass five seconds.

I think not every car needs a super nice interior, but that view (unlike the one you posted) is unlikely to fine agreement here.

I believe that every car needs to be safe, practical, comfortable to ride in, and, most importantly in this day and age, efficient.

There.

Latest Posts

Back