Engine:
3.0L S55 I6 twin-turbo
Power: 425 hp
Torque: 406 lb-ft
Weight: 1595 kg
Transmission: 7-speed automatic M Double Clutch (M-DCT), 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Body Style: 4-door saloon
Additional Info: The performance of the car has improved from the previous generation. BMW claims that the car can do 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds with the 6-speed manual gearbox and 3.9 seconds with the optional DCT gearbox. The M3 and M4 will run the standing kilometer in 22.20 seconds. Top speed will be limited to 155 mph (249 km/h) but an optional M Driver's package will raise this to 174 mph (280 km/h). The new engine will generate up to 425 hp between 5,500 and 7,300 rpm and up to 406 lb-ft of torque between 1,850 and 5,500 rpm.​
BMW-BMW-M3--F80--5085_12.jpg
bmw-m3-f80-sedan-c870105112014022629_1.jpg
BMW-BMW-M3--F80--5085_1.jpg

So much better looking than the M4, but M cars just aren't cool anymore... too much focus on POWER.

Uncool.

Because of the M4, the current M3 kind of seems unnecessary on BMW's lineup IMO. Both share the same engine and nearly the same performance. The M4 coupe looks better, anyways.
Maybe it's for people who want a car which can carry 4 people for the performance of an M4. In my opinion the M3 has a wider stance which makes it looks better than the M4.

Because of the M4, the current M3 kind of seems unnecessary on BMW's lineup IMO.
While that does make sense, I am pretty sure that BMW was not gonna ditch the M3 because of its massive success in the past with the E30, E36, and so forth.

Maybe it's for people who want a car which can carry 4 people for the performance of an M4.
Except you can consider getting a BMW M4 Gran Coupe, which is the four door model of the 4 series... which is suppose to be the 3 series's job. BMW has made a complete mess of it's lineup, despite most of them looking nice.

For that reason, the newer BMWs, including this M3 and the other M cars, get an uncool from me.

Except you can consider getting a BMW M4 Gran Coupe, which is the four door model of the 4 series... which is suppose to be the 3 series's job. BMW has made a complete mess of it's lineup, despite most of them looking nice.

For that reason, the newer BMWs, including this M3 and the other M cars, get an uncool from me.

The M4GC doesn't exist.

The M4GC doesn't exist.
Don't give BMW any ideas.

I was thinking about a 428i GC that I saw yesterday (it used it's indicators to cut someone off, but it's a first!!!). I would've assumed it was some 3 series had I not seen the badges.
Either way, I'm not fond of these modern BMWs.

To be honest, the main problem hitting modern M cars is the way that BMW will just do up a non M car in an M car body kit as a factory option. It completely devalues the brand. With old M cars at least someone had to go to the effort of sticking a knock off bodykit on themselves if they wanted to fake the aesthetic, these days, why should anyone care?

On top of that, they're loud fast shouty modern German cars that I can't see aging particularly better than their contemporaries, unlike many older BMWs.

Sports sedans always get a Cool in my book, and this one is no exception.

About 80% of M3s I see on the roads are driven by those tossers who feel as though they're above everyone and feel as though they're entitled to drive and act how they want and that general road rules do not apply to them.

Granted you see the majority of them in E46s or E92s but now this one is here, they'll migrate to this or the M4 while still being the tossers that they are, thus ruining the M3 name.

If each generation of M3 has been primarily owned by tossers, where did the M3's good name come from? And don't say motorsport, because it's been a long-time since the M3 was dominant on the race track.

I didn't say each generation of M3. Although nowadays that is slightly true.

The M3's good name did indeed come from motorsport. Yes it was a long time since it dominated but that's how it built up it's name of a good quick car for the masses. Over the years when the tossers started to drive BMWs they got their hands on the M3s and the rest is history.

Saw one on the road in the colour in the OP recently. Looks mega.

Unfortunately, M-cars seem less like motorsport-inspired models and more like posh, fast range-toppers for their respective BMW ranges now, and the M3 is no different. While this isn't a problem on its own, the clientele they attract has taken a lot of the sheen off.

Uncool. And that's before you even get to the slightly disappointing way it drives.

I didn't say each generation of M3. Although nowadays that is slightly true.

The M3's good name did indeed come from motorsport. Yes it was a long time since it dominated but that's how it built up it's name of a good quick car for the masses. Over the years when the tossers started to drive BMWs they got their hands on the M3s and the rest is history.

I'd be really surprised if the attitude of, or towards, the 1980's yuppies that swaggered into BMW showrooms and slapped down their cash for an E30 M3 is any different to their modern counterparts. If you're going to run with the BMW driving tosser stereotype, then you've got the same tossers to thank for the success of the M3 in the first place, because they're the ones actually buying them - in that respect, I don't see that the F80 M3 can be considered any less cool than previous gen. The people who pick up M3's - whichever generation - 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand certainly aren't much cooler, at least none of the ones I met.

And that's before you even get to the slightly disappointing way it drives.

Gotta leave room for the competition package ;)

Back