GTP Cool Wall: 2014+ BMW M3 (F80)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 67 comments

2014+ BMW M3 (F80)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well M cars aren't sold in Europe only. Also for the class it raced in it was quite somewhat dominant in what it did for as soon as it was introduced. The importance isn't what car BMW motorsports is known for but how the M cars do in motorsports, people care more about the upper class like DTM and ILMC or even 24 of Nurb more so then regional BTCC and STCC. And even if they did care that's not the point, the point is to show that a car claiming to be an "M3" won high profile races and thus should be bought by the general public who want a car that replicates that performance for the street. But as others said M is more of a marketing exercise anyways than it is an outright motorsports effort.

Err yeah, I can see this is going nowhere, and further off topic. I'm saying the E92 M3 did not dominate as much as the E90 320Si did, and in the respect, the 320 should be considered closer in terms of spirit, if not status, to the dominant E30 M3. You're saying the success of the E92 was useful in convincing people that the M3 was a race car for the road. So it sounds to me like we're talking about different things ---- in either case it's not really much to do with the F80 anymore. If you wanted to start a thread in the motorsports section for the relevant importance of various forms of motorsport to both enthusiasts and joe public, that might be an interesting discussion.

Err yeah, I can see this is going nowhere, and further off topic. I'm saying the E92 M3 did not dominate as much as the E90 320Si did, and in the respect, the 320 should be considered closer in terms of spirit, if not status, to the dominant E30 M3. You're saying the success of the E92 was useful in convincing people that the M3 was a race car for the road. So it sounds to me like we're talking about different things ---- in either case it's not really much to do with the F80 anymore. If you wanted to start a thread in the motorsports section for the relevant importance of various forms of motorsport to both enthusiasts and joe public, that might be an interesting discussion.

I know what you're saying, and the point is it didn't have to dominate all it had to do was win high profile races under the M banner, and thus help sell the road cars. You said that the car wasn't in the spirit cause it hadn't dominated or done anything because of a lesser 3 series doing more, but that's not BMW's concern cause it isn't representative of the M division, that was the point. And even now the Z4 could be seen in the spirit of the M division (not M3 obviously) because it's an M car and has dominated in areas as well. Also why would I have to start a thread, it just seems to be a nice way of saying "I rather not continue this". But in reality the comparative difference between this M3 and the last M3s and even other M cars are very much on topic when discussing the factor of why this car is cool or not cool. Now if I was talking how 20th century racing has helped possibly shape and influence this current M3...I could see how that'd be off topic.

F80 sadly will probably never see any form of racing to help promote the M division through it (since the M6 takes over). However, BMW only has to show that M technology as a whole goes into racing and finds its way back into all M road cars and that's the point. All on how you market it, the rest is just subjective view.

Seriously uncool.

Because it isn't a V8.

But honestly... the M3 range topper may be insanely quick, but nowadays Ms are becoming just another set of big, heavy twin-turbo something-or-another luxury sports things in a market awash with big, heavy twin-turbo something-or-another luxury sport things.

Bring us an M2 and maybe then we'll talk

Is there a car that hasn't declared war on the old school light weight analog ideal?

I'm having a hard time finding an enthusiast level car that isn't over-weight, under-powered, and over-priced.

Is there a car that hasn't declared war on the old school light weight analog ideal?

I'm having a hard time finding an enthusiast level car that isn't over-weight, under-powered, and over-priced.

MX-5.

Forget, for a moment, that the electric steering, good as it is, is no patch on the NA's less precise but infinitely more organic helm. The ND Miata is a tighter, more focused package than any Miata before it. It's the fastest Miata ever... even considering the turbo NB... and it's a fantastic piece of work. I laughed out loud when I first saw the ridiculous little sun-visors... the NC's visors were already ridiculously thin pieces of plastic. The ND's represent NSX Type-R level anal-retentive weight savings. I love it.

I also quite like what Lotus is putting out, even if their interiors are China-level bad. And the new F-Type R feels like a true old-school whip. Lots of farty exhaust noise, incredibly responsive throttle, a chassis tuned to delight.

But other stuff, stuff based on regular road-going cars, they're succumbing to feature and chassis bloat. Mazda seems to be going the right way. They're the only manufacturer willing to sacrifice space and turbocharged power in order to keep their cars light, nimble and fun.

Though seeing the esteemed motor journalists of the GTP saying this car doesn't drive as well as it should makes me wonder. :lol:

I'm not esteemed or a journalist, but I've driven the M3, then shortly after, drove the regular F30 and the i3, and thought this:

Crash
...i3 steering felt pretty quick and I think it feels better than the M3, but that's a fairly low bar to start from.

The car is grippy, nimble and fast, but that steering is oh so numb and lifeless. That, was a big disappointment.

I really like the way the new M3 looks. However it's still a BMW and will be primarily driven by 🤬 that think they own the road.

Uncool.

Back