GTP Cool Wall: 2014+ Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 93 comments
  • 7,290 views

2014+ Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake


  • Total voters
    123
  • Poll closed .
Now tell us how you really feel :sly:

That said, the XFR's ride is far from ruined. All the XFs are pretty good in that regard at the moment.

And I made the mistake of driving the S Diesel after I drove the R. The S is a lovely car in isolation but driving a grumbling diesel (one which isn't remotely as economical as the German lot) after driving that amazing supercharged V8, the diesel felt about as uncool as it's possible for a car to get. I've driven lots of good diesels, and lots of diesels that make their petrol equivalents redundant... but diesel is not a cool fuel.

:D

Yeah, might have been a bit direct... but I stand by the sentiments :)

Diesel may not be a cool fuel, but it suits the XF far more than a 500bhp petrol engine.
 
A fast supercharged Jaguar estate to truly put one in the eye for the RS6 Avant and E63 Wagon.

Very Cool.

Agree'd. Very cool. I love hot estates.
 
You seemed to imply that since there are so many Mercs and Audis out there that their wagon variations are boring and that the Jaguar seems far more interesting. That's how it came off to me.

More or less, yes, but I fail to see why my enjoyment of seeing something different every once in a while gives me a limited view of anything. Or did that just sound clever in your head?

I doubt it, but if that's the immaturity level that you surround yourself with and then decide to use it as a comical defense...okay.

Says the person who sarcastically ends a large number of his statements with a '...yes' or '...okay', or isn't even capable of reasoning so instead chooses to say 'good for you'. What was it you were saying about a comical defence?
 
Meh. Least sexy modern Jag.
 
More or less, yes, but I fail to see why my enjoyment of seeing something different every once in a while gives me a limited view of anything. Or did that just sound clever in your head?

Are you trying to be obtuse with that last bit as if I'm laughing behind my screen or not taking you seriously?

I'll repeat it again since you only got half of it, what I said was that due to you seeing tons of certain makes it becomes boring even when you see a more rare wagon/estate version. I then go on to see that you seem to get excited by the limited viewed cars you may see, rather than those of abundance. Not that you have a limited view on whatever you think I was implying that got you all in a sarcastic huff.

Says the person who sarcastically ends a large number of his statements with a '...yes' or '...okay', or isn't even capable of reasoning so instead chooses to say 'good for you'. What was it you were saying about a comical defence?

It's not sarcastic it's me saying I don't really know what else to input, so okay or yeah seems like a sufficient ending. If you're going to suddenly twist it (which may be another facet to HFS issue) into some type of tone over the internet that isn't there, sorry but that's not my fault. Also it is good for him I stand by that, if he doesn't want to talk to me or debate me because he thinks I'm too stubborn or whatever other verbose he may use that's his prerogative

So none of what I've done is comical defense, you decided to use a meme because of some internet debate that some how has this underlying tone that isn't there.
 
you seem to get excited by the limited viewed cars you may see, rather than those of abundance.

Oh. Ohhhhh, that's what you meant! The way you worded that came across to me as if you were suggesting I was narrow minded. Sorry!

You're still wrong about the car though ;)
 
Sub Zero.
Wholeheartedly believe this car is super sub zero cool.
Absolutely the type of car I'd replace my STI with if I could afford it. :ouch:

That said, I don't know what the ride is like, though I'm inclined to think it's going to be a little too soft for me. Famine is saying it's among the best on UK roads while also saying rides from Mercedes are far to tough... Having a good deal of experience with the SL550, I'm inclined to say it's not all that rough of a ride (especially compared to my STI).

So with that in mind, if it's softer than an SL it's probably a bit too soft for my taste in performance cars but at the same time I'd still be happy treating it like an American point to point cruiser. :p
 
Sub Zero.
Wholeheartedly believe this car is super sub zero cool.
Absolutely the type of car I'd replace my STI with if I could afford it. :ouch:
In this respect I'm glad you can't afford it. :sly:
 
For an idea of how rough British roads are, it's generally accepted that the dirt tracks that the Rally of 1000 Lakes is held on offer a smoother ride than most British A-Roads.
 
Sub Zero.
Wholeheartedly believe this car is super sub zero cool.
Absolutely the type of car I'd replace my STI with if I could afford it. :ouch:

That said, I don't know what the ride is like, though I'm inclined to think it's going to be a little too soft for me. Famine is saying it's among the best on UK roads while also saying rides from Mercedes are far to tough... Having a good deal of experience with the SL550, I'm inclined to say it's not all that rough of a ride (especially compared to my STI).

So with that in mind, if it's softer than an SL it's probably a bit too soft for my taste in performance cars but at the same time I'd still be happy treating it like an American point to point cruiser. :p
Actually, to be fair, the SL isn't supposed to be as bad in the grand scheme of things - whereas things like the A-Class are. Very. I still have the imprint of a kerb in my arse and the roof lining in my brain.
 
I'd say it averages out to low Cool or high Meh. On the uncool side, it's a modern luxury car full of gadgets, there's no manual transmission, and it probably does weigh too much (though I didn't read the stats). On the cool side, it's a Jaguar, it's good-looking... from the front, it's a wagon (row row, fight the crossovers!), it has a big nasty overpowered V8, and it uses a supercharger to get its power (row row, fight the hairdryers!).
 
Oh. Ohhhhh, that's what you meant! The way you worded that came across to me as if you were suggesting I was narrow minded. Sorry!

You're still wrong about the car though ;)

That's still subjective though ;). And it's fine I wouldn't call you narrow minded just because you like to be surprised by a car you don't see every day. If you called it uncool because Hitler drove one... :sly:
 
The appeal of Jaguars have always been their sleek design and refinement. While this one may be a good driver's car, it looks like a wet dream of a 15 year old. Chav-tasticly uncool.
 
SZ for me I love Wagons and a fast Jag version would be awesome.

Seriously uncool because Jalopnik.
Hot Rod Magazine did it 1st in the '90s, they tried to get wagons to be mainstream hot rods.
 
It really doesn't.

It really does.

A test drive is one thing - I drove a E63AMG couple of weeks ago... I admit, i was great fun. But in the real world, when you own one and drive it every day... a waste of time. The E was triggering the traction control on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd, on a bone dry track with hot tyres :lol:

Even on a dry road you can't use but a fraction of the performance or you'll be losing your license. In the wet they are completely useless.

If you can't use the performance on the road, where do you go? A track? In a 2 tonne wagon :lol:
 
It really does.

A test drive is one thing - I drove a E63AMG couple of weeks ago... I admit, i was great fun. But in the real world, when you own one and drive it every day... a waste of time. The E was triggering the traction control on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd, on a bone dry track with hot tyres :lol:

Even on a dry road you can't use but a fraction of the performance or you'll be losing your license. In the wet they are completely useless.

If you can't use the performance on the road, where do you go? A track? In a 2 tonne wagon :lol:
Thing is, the XF diesel is wholly competent and technically brilliant and extremely boring. It's a tool engine put into a distinctly un-tool body.

The XFR-S is... yeah, a little too raw-edged by comparison but I didn't have any traction issues even on relatively dewy Northern lanes. Okay, once, but that's because I hoofed it out of a T-junction. The XFR, with only 510hp, loses the sports car pretensions (not that the XFR-S has any) and is just a big, capable engine in a quasi luxury car that happens to go like the clappers if you need it to - I drove the F-Type V6S a few week earlier and in similar circumstances it wasn't really any faster.

Sure, as a grand tourer you'd get further on the diesel, but that's not really what the grand tour is about.


And the E63 AMG has 10% more torque than the XFR-S and a 7 speed box (compared to the 8 speed one in the Jag). That'd do you for tyre complaints :lol:
 
How much of the car's performance you can use has no bearing on coolness.
 
it probably does weigh too much (though I didn't read the stats).

kQeFUzr.gif


Either do the most basic research or don't admit to things like that.
 
Sure, as a grand tourer you'd get further on the diesel, but that's not really what the grand tour is about.

For me, a GT car is something that will travel big distances, quietly and comfortably, and performance only matters to certain extent - in so far as, will it do the quiet and comfy thing at big speeds.

Two examples of European road trips... One to Umbria in my old 2.2TDCi Mondeo, one to Nice in a MK5 Golf GTi pool car. On the Autoroute/Autostrada, cruising speed was no different. Both would easily cruise at well in excess of 100 leptons and were reasonably comfortable/quiet up to 120 lepton or so. The difference was the Mondeo did over 600 miles between fuel stops, the Golf 350.

I don't see how having a massively powerful (and uneconomical) engine is any advantage when touring!

How much of the car's performance you can use has no bearing on coolness.

Of course it does... no point in having power if you can't use it... makes the car pointless and therefore uncool.
 
Judging this car based on how a single Jalopnik writer liked or disliked it is extremely narrow-minded. The same goes for judging cars based on Top Gear's opinions. You are supposed to look at the car, not somebody else's view on the car, to judge it for coolness. It's like saying America sucks because Miley Cyrus is an American.
kQeFUzr.gif


Either do the most basic research or don't admit to things like that.

He said is does weigh too much... what is the point of looking something up that you already know or assume?
 
Of course it does... no point in having power if you can't use it... makes the car pointless and therefore uncool.

If that were cool, then the coolest car ever would be a stupid little tin can you can floor everywhere and never even reach the speed limit. Which it isn't. To the driver, maybe, but everyone else just sees a pathetic and obnoxious mobile roadblock that should be using an SMV triangle.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - when discussing coolness, what matters is the car's abilities, not how accessible they are. First of all, most people don't obey the posted limits to the letter all the time. Here in the U.S., a lot of roads have the limit set well beneath 85th-percentile speed, or just low enough that you have to go 10-15 MPH over to have any fun. I'd say the solution is to raise the speed limit (or get rid of it entirely on certain types of non-residential roads), not to drive slower cars. And second, coolness is, mainly, about want. If someone sees a car with a big roaring 800 HP engine, they're probably going to want it, even if they'll never legally be able to use all that power. Someone sees one of those pathetic little cars that take 12 seconds or worse to reach 60 MPH, they aren't going to be thinking about how much fun it'll be to floor it everywhere while not getting in trouble. They're going to be thinking about how pathetic it is.
 
If that were cool, then the coolest car ever would be a stupid little tin can you can floor everywhere and never even reach the speed limit. Which it isn't. To the driver, maybe, but everyone else just sees a pathetic and obnoxious mobile roadblock that should be using an SMV triangle.
So if you pretend for a moment that you don't give a crap what anyone else thinks ("cool" people don't), you already understand what several of us have told you on a number of occasions. :cheers:
Here in the U.S., a lot of roads have the limit set well beneath 85th-percentile speed, or just low enough that you have to go 10-15 MPH over to have any fun. I'd say the solution is to raise the speed limit (or get rid of it entirely on certain types of non-residential roads), not to drive slower cars.
Good luck!
Someone sees one of those pathetic little cars that take 12 seconds or worse to reach 60 MPH, they aren't going to be thinking about how much fun it'll be to floor it everywhere while not getting in trouble. They're going to be thinking about how pathetic it is.
I realize you're a man of straightaways, but to be clear, the fun is less about flooring it and more about driving the car to its ragged edge, in a manner that would require triple-digit speeds in any high-performance car.
 
If that were cool, then the coolest car ever would be a stupid little tin can you can floor everywhere and never even reach the speed limit. Which it isn't. To the driver, maybe, but everyone else just sees a pathetic and obnoxious mobile roadblock that should be using an SMV triangle.

So, on the other hand, I guess the coolest possible car would be something like the Hennessey Venom. On spacesavers. I mean, since the accessibility of all that power isn't important.

:rolleyes:

If someone sees a car with a big roaring 800 HP engine, they're probably going to want it, even if they'll never legally be able to use all that power. Someone sees one of those pathetic little cars that take 12 seconds or worse to reach 60 MPH, they aren't going to be thinking about how much fun it'll be to floor it everywhere while not getting in trouble. They're going to be thinking about how pathetic it is.

Maybe kids. Scratch that, maybe kids with incredibly narrow views. You do have more insight into that particular demographic than most.

Funnily enough, my dad and his wife just got a 330+ bhp Genesis Coupe this summer. He doesn't like to drive it. Not because it isn't fast, but because it absolutely is, and he recognizes how easy it is to break the law without even meaning to with it - he nearly doubled the limit when he first drove it, just pulling around a slower car. And that's just the straight-line stuff - he's also commented on the scary levels of grip the car has compared to both the muscle cars of his youth, and the econoboxes he's driven as dailies for the past decade. He doesn't like that he has to break the limit to even get near the edge of the car's limits.

Meanwhile, he's been more and more interested in a Miata over the past few years of me talking about them...
 
what matters is the car's abilities, not how accessible they are.

So, I take it this soccer-mom-mobile is one of the coolest cars on Earth?
2007-mercedes-benz-r63-amg-photo-149334-s-429x262.jpg


most people don't obey the posted limits to the letter all the time.

That's because of the feature bloat you so often lament. Drive an old car at 70 mph and it feels like you're going 70 mph. Drive a modern car at 70 mph and it feels like you could step out the door and onto the sidewalk without stumbling. Just like George Michael did. Now if he were in a Defender instead of a Range Rover... well, let's be honest... he might still have done it, anyway. :lol:

If someone sees a car with a big roaring 800 HP engine, they're probably going to want it.

Not if it's ugly as sin.

They're going to be thinking about how pathetic it is.

Not if it's good looking.

This:
310x550xalextrike-310x550.jpg.pagespeed.ic.G4mt4mYYCO.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/review-morgan-3-wheeler/

attracts more attention from the opposite sex than a Ferrari. Even though on track, as the owner explains, it's "slower than the safety car."

-

Ability =/= coolness. Women aren't as impressed with manly power as men think. Which is why a slim and trim Jason Statham pulls more interest from the opposite sex than Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does.
 
How much of the car's performance you can use has no bearing on coolness.

Sure it does, because if you can't use it then it's just there to be a measure tool for your ego among group "well I have 577 hp that I can't fully use...but I have it!"

I mean the same concept with top speed number, so what your car can do 195 mph where do you plan to do said potential?
 
So if you pretend for a moment that you don't give a crap what anyone else thinks ("cool" people don't), you already understand what several of us have told you on a number of occasions. :cheers:

That's why I said "maybe". And yes, it could be fun, though I'd still rather have a car that can be fun in the corners and on the straights.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I realize you're a man of straightaways, but to be clear, the fun is less about flooring it and more about driving the car to its ragged edge, in a manner that would require triple-digit speeds in any high-performance car.

I get what you're talking about, but I still don't think it makes the car cool. Fun to drive is not the same thing as cool.

So, on the other hand, I guess the coolest possible car would be something like the Hennessey Venom. On spacesavers. I mean, since the accessibility of all that power isn't important.

I didn't say accessibility was a bad thing. What I meant was, some pathetic little excuse for a car, like a 2CV or a kei car, isn't automatically cool because you can drive it at 10/10ths all the time and not get pulled over. IMO, that's grasping at straws. The only reason a car can do that is because it's pathetic and being pathetic isn't cool.

Maybe kids. Scratch that, maybe kids with incredibly narrow views. You do have more insight into that particular demographic than most.

Contrary to GTP belief, you don't have to be too young to drive to appreciate horsepower.

Funnily enough, my dad and his wife just got a 330+ bhp Genesis Coupe this summer. He doesn't like to drive it. Not because it isn't fast, but because it absolutely is, and he recognizes how easy it is to break the law without even meaning to with it - he nearly doubled the limit when he first drove it, just pulling around a slower car. And that's just the straight-line stuff - he's also commented on the scary levels of grip the car has compared to both the muscle cars of his youth, and the econoboxes he's driven as dailies for the past decade. He doesn't like that he has to break the limit to even get near the edge of the car's limits.

Tell him there's a guy in Alaska who'll gladly take it off his hands if he doesn't like it.

So, I take it this soccer-mom-mobile is one of the coolest cars on Earth?
2007-mercedes-benz-r63-amg-photo-149334-s-429x262.jpg

I was talking performance abilities, but (although I probably really am the only person who thinks this) I consider wagons cool anyway, simply because, in today's automotive climate, they're a rebellion of common sense against the crossovers. Plus, the one in that photo is the R63 variant, which is fast anyway.

That's because of the feature bloat you so often lament. Drive an old car at 70 mph and it feels like you're going 70 mph. Drive a modern car at 70 mph and it feels like you could step out the door and onto the sidewalk without stumbling. Just like George Michael did. Now if he were in a Defender instead of a Range Rover... well, let's be honest... he might still have done it, anyway. :lol:

I know what you speak of, and lament the lack of a sense of speed in a high-riding, isolated car, but knowing me, having that sense of speed may just egg me on to go faster anyway, depending on the circumstances.

Not if it's ugly as sin.

Well, sure, some supercars are ugly, but at least as many aren't. IMO, Lamborghini has had the Countach, Diablo, Murcielago, Gallardo, Huracan, and Aventador, which are all at least passable in the looks department. The Hennessy Venom GT isn't bad either, and any of the bespoilered special edition Koenigseggs is pretty good looking too.

Not if it's good looking.

This:
310x550xalextrike-310x550.jpg.pagespeed.ic.G4mt4mYYCO.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/review-morgan-3-wheeler/

attracts more attention from the opposite sex than a Ferrari. Even though on track, as the owner explains, it's "slower than the safety car."

-

Ability =/= coolness. Women aren't as impressed with manly power as men think. Which is why a slim and trim Jason Statham pulls more interest from the opposite sex than Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does.
[/QUOTE]

A lot of those slower cars don't really look good. The 2CV's snail-like looks match its snail-like performace. The AZ-1 looks like a toy car. More typical kei cars (and a lot of other super-small hatchbacks) have the appearnce of being taller than they are wide, which is a rather unfortunate look.

Sure it does, because if you can't use it then it's just there to be a measure tool for your ego among group "well I have 577 hp that I can't fully use...but I have it!"

I mean the same concept with top speed number, so what your car can do 195 mph where do you plan to do said potential?

But that's just it. It's the impressive performance that makes them desirable and cool.
 
Back