GTP Cool Wall: 2014+ Mercedes-AMG GT

2014+ Mercedes-AMG GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The rear end is sickening enough to ruin the whole, otherwise-not-bad-looking car.
Seriously Uncool.

I like it a lot, but it looks more "Mickey Mouse" than "Mercedes-Benz". Not sure if a good thing or a bad thing.

Hate the headlights, really ruins the whole car for me. I'd prefer any of the standard coupes to be honest. Not that makes it uncool, buuuut, I'm getting a strong midlife crisis vibe from it too.

I thought I saw someone say above that this had an N/A V8 but I may be wrong. Still, what's wrong with 2 turbo's?
Nothing at all, but it follows the same recipe as many other high-end cars today, which is boring. Conforming with the crowd isn't cool. An NA V8 would be cooler, but not by much, because V8s have been the bread and butter of performance cars for decades. If it had a V10, V12, or turbo 6-cylinder, then you'd be getting somewhere, IMO. ;)

Is it Really Wrong to like this car? thought i do prefer the older SLS in some stuff, i still think this one is cool.

Gets a cool from me. It's not as radical as the SLS (Which I do also find cool), but it's also more sensible in some ways. Not the coolest car to come out of Mercedes, but it's nice.

I'm a massive fan of the SLS, so when Mercedes said they were dropping it to make a new sports car, I was worried, and annoyed... Then I saw it, and I was no longer worried, just disappointed. What I like about the SLS is that it's so silly, the doors, the ridiculous engine size, the huge bonnet. It's like a Viper made by Germans (which means it is more refined).

The AMG GT loses all that character, all the silliness is gone, it's too mature. I just don't like it.

Solid cool car. Very nice looking although the back end will probably grow on me eventually.

But for me, it's nowhere near as cool as an F-Type Coupe or the SLS.

I would probably puke if the SLS replacement didn't have a V8. Therefore it's an automatic cool

Count me amongst those that prefer this over the SLS too. I didn't think I'd like it when pictures first leaked, but after seeing it in person, and especially after sitting in it, I have more of an appreciation for it. I'd love to own one some day, and I really like the 991.

Doesn't change the fact it's a modern Mercedes, though. The baggage arrives before you do at any desired destination. Uncool.

The SLS looks much better and is more unique, this looks like a melted Porsche which someone glued a three pointed star to. Plus the Audi rip of rear lights look so out of place in comparison to the rest of the body. I wouldn't want a Merc in this price bracket without Gullwing doors anyway.

I wouldn't go as far as saying uncool but probably meh IMO.

I can't imagine how hard (albeit enviable) it would be having to decide between this, a 911 or V8 Vantage.

looks better in person. when I saw pictures of it I thought, meh. but seeing it at the Detroit Auto Show changed my mind. :P

If you need to know why I voted SZ just ask. :mischievous:

I can't imagine how hard (albeit enviable) it would be having to decide between this, a 911 or V8 Vantage.

@gtpro
No question there for me, 911 all the way. 👍
Given all the options are up to me. :P

Looking at pictures more almost reminds me of the BMW Z4 hardtop (coupe, w/e). :confused:

Am I the only person in the world who saw the SLS and thought... "meh"?

It was just so typically Bauhausian... and so overboard with all the 300SL references, it might as well have been called the 300SL 2.0... And the way the lines flowed... well... they didn't. Remove the Merc grille, and maybe you had Gumpert's entry-level offering... :D (Yes, I thought the Apollo was a terrible design. All hail Bomex, the God of Speed)

I liked the SLS's tail-lights. That was about it.

-

The GT, I like much-much. Expressive, fluid, lots of character. Where other modern "exotics" and high end sports cars often follow a brutally militaristic theme, the GT is unabashedly organic and curvy.

Remove the Mercedes badges, and you could probably pass it off as a modern-day Cobra. And that's not a bad thing. Not at all.

-

As to whether it is cool or not... give it a few years, then we'll know.

Back