GTP Cool Wall: 2nd Gen Dodge Challenger

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 95 comments

Dodge Challenger Gen.2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Antonisbob
Lol, people on here tear this car apart but not the new Dart. At least these where RWD and 2 door Coupes that looked decent.

It's almost like FWD is a vastly superior drivetrain for an economy car!

Even though it isn't even close to being a Challenger, it is kinda odd, and a bit dull, it just screams 70's and oil crisis. That saved it for me from voting uncool or worse. 5 speed FR makes it a big plus, and a 2.6 4 pot should give it some torque. And after googling some pictures for different paint schemes I give it a cool. 👍

The original Challenger was a big V8 muscle car. This Challenger is a small 4/6 cylinder... thing.

The original Dart was an economy car. The new Dart is an economy car.

What don't you get about that?

Yea, but the original didn't look like crap and had numerous V8 options;

1967–1976 Dodge Dart

170 cu in (2.8 L) Slant-6
198 cu in (3.2 L) Slant-6
225 cu in (3.7 L) Slant-6
273 cu in (4.5 L) LA V8
318 cu in (5.2 L) LA V8
340 cu in (5.6 L) LA V8
360 cu in (5.9 L) LA V8
383 cu in (6.3 L) RB V8
440 cu in (7.2 L) RB V8
426 cu in (7.0 L) 2G Hemi V8 (1968 S/S)
440 cu in (7.2 L) RB V8

It's almost like FWD is a vastly superior drivetrain for an economy car!

Nope. Hyundai Pony, Ford Pinto, Vega, Gremlin, Pacer, Dart, all way more fun with RWD!

I honestly can't really think of any redeeming features about this car. Even if it wasn't called the Challenger, I'd still give it a Seriously Uncool.

Good things don't last forever...same thing happened to its big brother the charger.

DC75ad.jpg

Oh, seriously uncool btw...would be barely uncool if they didn't put the challenger nameplate on it.

Having actually owned of of these cars, I thought is was fairly cool. It ran pretty good, not a powerhouse by any stretch, but still was fine. It got decent mileage, never gave me a lick of problems ... none. Well, I did put a clutch in it at around 125K (IIRC), routine oil changes and basic services was all that this car dinged me for. Definitely was not a "money pit" car.Yes, I understand the Challenger badge is not truly represented from it's glorious '70-'74 predecessor from the muscle car era. As Joey (I believe) stated, this gen. Challenger came at a time when America's big 3 were digging for answers in the automotive industry. Small, economical cars were on the way in at this point in time. This was one of Chryslers answers, let's take a known name "Challenger", badge it to an import (Mitsubishi), and hope like hell that based on the name alone, it sells. Well ........

Still, I found it "Fairly Cool".

Antonisbob
all way more fun with RWD!

That's great. Most people (as in the people actually buying new cars) don't care about how much fun they're having in a Camry.

That's great. Most people (as in the people actually buying new cars) don't care about how much fun they're having in a Camry.

Sheep. Let them live their boring lives, I'll be having all the fun with the old cars. Yes. Like the Challenger II.

5317990001_large.jpg

0_001.JPG

they can still be cool.

Sheep. Let them live their boring lives, I'll be having all the fun with the old cars. Yes. Like the Challenger II.

they can still be cool.

Wow, you should call up some car companies and let them know you're available for a management position.

I think this makes it the first Japanese "captive import", does it not? With 77-100 horsepower in a car this size, it really doesn't matter which wheels are driven.

Meh for trying. Or, for not trying, like most 70s cars.

I saw one on the road for the first time in many years, two weeks ago. I recall most in America were labeled "Sapporo", but this isn't based on anything but my own recollections.

It's at least got RWD and an available MT, and I usually agree with Anotonisbob's sentiments about old vs. new, but this car is hideous in every way. Ugly, gutless, and ruins a classic name.

Wow, you should call up some car companies and let them know you're available for a management position.

Maybe if it was the '60s I'd want to work for a car company.

It's at least got RWD and an available MT, and I usually agree with Anotonisbob's sentiments about old vs. new, but this car is hideous in every way. Ugly, gutless, and ruins a classic name.

I try to look past the name on this one, it's no Challenger, by far. But neither was the '70s Charger a true Charger, or the '80s Daytona wasn't a true Daytona. But both of those have some type of fan base I'd think?

I'll put it this way, was it cool at the time? Nope.
Is it way cooler, unique, easier to work on, colorful, than any modern sub-compact car? Yes.
Is it cooler than the Classic, or modern Challenger? Never.

Last edited:
At least the Charger had a big engine, and the Daytona was quickish to start with in some forms (though sadly FWD). This is just a sad excuse for a car.

You're right. Bigger is better. The smog-era 400-4 V8 only had some 180 - 190 HP though. Oh well, it's cooler than both the Challenger II and Daytona anyways.

At least the Charger had a big engine

The Charger was nothing more than a cut-rate Cordoba; barely anything like the legendary car that appeared in Bullitt and set records in NASCAR. It was about as far removed in spirit from the original as most every other car in the mid-late 1970s was from the ones ten years prior. Challenger II, Mustang II, Thunderbird, Cougar, Riviera... the list goes on. That it turned into a bloated mess of a personal luxury coupe instead of a crappy attempt at an import fighter doesn't change that much in the long run.

Don't forget about the '80s Nova. So many cools cars became generic :censored:boxes.

Last edited:
0_001.JPG

they can still be cool.

Pretty unfair to bring up an extensively modified drag car. You can make anything fun with drag car treatment.

The Charger was nothing more than a cut-rate Cordoba; barely anything like the legendary car that appeared in Bullitt and set records in NASCAR. It was about as far removed in spirit from the original as most every other car in the mid-late 1970s was from the ones ten years prior. Challenger II, Mustang II, Thunderbird, Cougar, Riviera... the list goes on. That it turned into a bloated mess of a personal luxury coupe instead of a crappy attempt at an import fighter doesn't change that much in the long run.

At least it could be worked with, though. Tiny engines in a tiny car no one liked leave very few options for making it actually fast.

The American one had the same engine as the Starion/Conquest (minus the turbo); and the Japanese one had the same engine as what eventually ended up in the Evo and Eclipse. No difficulty getting power from either of those; and it weighs so little that even 300 hp would make it extremely fast.

Back