GTP Cool Wall: 2nd Gen Dodge Challenger

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 95 comments

Dodge Challenger Gen.2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pretty unfair to bring up an extensively modified drag car. You can make anything fun with drag car treatment.

Not if it's a FWD Civic. That's just lame.

No way of knowing how modified it is, all I see is big tires and a hood scoop? Plenty of kids did that to their cars in the day with stock motors, maybe they're put on a new exhaust or something easy. I know it obviously has more done to it than that but you can't always assume. It's still a Challenger II regardless of what's been done to it. IMO not every car that's been modded to hell is cool. Plenty of really done up Honda's and Nissan's and and stuff out there that will never be cool. Unless you're some totally import-crazy person who goes gaga over anything not American.

Commence butt hurt comments towards me.

Last edited:
Not if it's a FWD Civic. That's just lame.

No way of knowing how modified it is, all I see is big tires and a hood scoop? Plenty of kids did that to their cars in the day with stock motors, maybe they're put on a new exhaust or something easy. I know it obviously has more done to it than that but you can't always assume. It's still a Challenger II regardless of what's been done to it. IMO not every car that's been modded to hell is cool. Plenty of really done up Honda's and Nissan's and and stuff out there that will never be cool. Unless you're some totally import-crazy person who goes gaga over anything not American.

There is a really easy way to find out how modified it is, you can just look at the seller's posting for the car:

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/c...hallenger-1124463.xhtml?conversationId=154160

AutoTrader Classics
Best et 12.02 BEST MPH 115 Quarter mile @ 4860 elevation 360 engine/727 trans 750 Holley, Torquer intake 1.5 Crane alum. rokers 2.02/1.6 stainless valves Headman 1.875x3.5 headers 12-1 Wiseco pistons Eagle steel rods BTE 4500 stall converter Hipster trans brake B&M pro stick, line lock 9inch rear 4.56 full spool Centerline wheels 28.5x10.5 rear slicks 5.5 fronts 8 point roll cage AutoMeter gauges MSD6AL,start retard,2 step Mopar .557 lift cam 5 gal. cell, elec. fuel pump Nice paint, Rare car Race car since 1995 Spare rear end, tires, engine parts

The American one had the same engine as the Starion/Conquest (minus the turbo); and the Japanese one had the same engine as what eventually ended up in the Evo and Eclipse. No difficulty getting power from either of those; and it weighs so little that even 300 hp would make it extremely fast.

If it doesn't fall apart first.

I was referring to just LOOKING at the car.

Pretty sick ride though...

Just looking at it. It's obviously highly modded, the back tires would never fit inside stock wheel wells. That's the first clue there. Rear meats like that almost have be a (back half) car. Meaning a whole new rear section of frame has been made and installed. I can also see the cage through the window and back axle is 5 lug. All clues it's beauty is more than skin deep.:sly:

Not flaming or hating on you at all, so please don't take it that way. It's just obvious if you know about these things.👍

So just looking at it, using a trained eye :sly: HIGHLY MODDED.👍

I agree though. It's cool street machine.:)

:rolleyes: So is your misinformed comment based on a.) it not being a Ford, b.) because it's foreign, or c.) both A & B?

The 4G63 can make a ton of power, without that many problems, even crankwalk is blown way out of proportion.

And on the subject of the 4G63 the Challenger would have been a vastly better car with one since it would have offer nearly 150hp and 160lb.ft. of torque, which isn't bad for a car that weighed 2,500-ish lbs. I mean the Galant hit 60 in 9 seconds, which isn't exactly slow when you consider the cars of the day.

It was only the Chrysler-sourced K-Car Astron engines that ate up head gaskets, and it was only the 7 bolt Sirius engines (2nd gen DSM cars) that barfed up crankshafts. The Astron was otherwise overbuilt enough that they use it to this day as a turbodiesel (whereas petrol versions stopped being made in the early 90s), and the Sirius has more than enough motorsports history to show its reliability.

So just looking at it, using a trained eye :sly: HIGHLY MODDED.👍

I agree though. It's cool street machine.:)

Better focus that trained eye. It's not a "street machine". It's a full blown race car.

360 engine/727 trans 750 Holley, Torquer intake 1.5 Crane alum. rokers 2.02/1.6 stainless valves Headman 1.875x3.5 headers 12-1 Wiseco pistons Eagle steel rods BTE 4500 stall converter Hipster trans brake B&M pro stick, line lock 9inch rear 4.56 full spool Centerline wheels 28.5x10.5 rear slicks 5.5 fronts 8 point roll cage AutoMeter gauges MSD6AL,start retard,2 step Mopar .557 lift cam 5 gal. cell, elec. fuel pump

That's not street material.

Better focus that trained eye. It's not a "street machine". It's a full blown race car.

:lol:

It also says "Pro" on the side windshield, which I assume means it's in a Pro Street class.

That's all street stuff save for slicks.

Low 12's is hardly a out and "race car". And my point was in counter to his based on looks.

That car is a few tweaks away from the streets at best, if even that. I didn't say it was a daily driver did I?

Full blown race car? You guys make me laugh.:lol: That engine combo plus the given ET equates to around 350-400WHP..Full blown race car my patootie.:lol:

Last edited:
With 77-100 horsepower in a car this size, it really doesn't matter which wheels are driven.
I have to disagree, least of all because it rains (and snows) some of the time. Rainy days and fresh snowfall are an invitation to a good time when you've got RWD (and the experience to handle it). It's also very easy to overload the front tires on any car, and RWD spares them one item in the list of demands.

Having owned a 101hp RWD for six years, I could definitely frequently confirm which wheels were driven.

The American one had the same engine as the Starion/Conquest (minus the turbo); and the Japanese one had the same engine as what eventually ended up in the Evo and Eclipse. No difficulty getting power from either of those; and it weighs so little that even 300 hp would make it extremely fast.

Even then, all you have is a turbo-lagging, weed-whacker-noise-spewing four-cylinder pretending to be a Challenger.

5d5.png

Wolfe
I have to disagree, least of all because it rains (and snows) some of the time. Rainy days and fresh snowfall are an invitation to a good time when you've got RWD (and the experience to handle it). It's also very easy to overload the front tires on any car, and RWD spares them one item in the list of demands.

Having owned a 101hp RWD for six years, I could definitely frequently confirm which wheels were driven.

I meant in normal conditions (although normal conditions may vary). In slick conditions, FR can be somewhere between fun and frightening.

White & Nerdy
Even then, all you have is a turbo-lagging, weed-whacker-noise-spewing four-cylinder pretending to be a Challenger.

...ne'er mind, why bother.

Antonisbob
Commence butt hurt comments towards me.

Nobody's butt hurt. Just gets a bit grating to see the same tired crap about every car needing to be a massive RWD pig with a V8 and a manual lest the driver be a sheep/hipster/liberal/honda fanboy.

Didn't think it was possible to have a car even more uncool than the King Cobra Mustang II.

Seriously uncool.

Having now seen the car at that angle, in those colors, I kinda wish I could change my vote to "Seriously Uncool".

It may look alright in some colors, but two-tone light blue and white is not it. Maybe something darker, to de-emphasize that front end...? And the area at the rear of the cabin. Or maybe all white with some black highlights. ANYTHING would be better than that!

That's not street material.

Every bit of that is street material lol. Not even close to full blown race car.

Every bit of that is street material lol. Not even close to full blown race car.

Errrrrm, you need some help here. It is a race car. It says "PRO" on the side window for a reason. FYI - "PRO" = Super Pro, that being a classification of cars designated for NHRA competition .... get it ? got it ? good...

Moving on :
360 engine/727 trans 750 Holley, Torquer intake 1.5 Crane alum. rokers 2.02/1.6 stainless valves Headman 1.875x3.5 headers 12-1 Wiseco pistons Eagle steel rods BTE 4500 stall converter Hipster trans brake B&M pro stick, line lock 9inch rear 4.56 full spool Centerline wheels 28.5x10.5 rear slicks 5.5 fronts 8 point roll cage AutoMeter gauges MSD6AL,start retard,2 step Mopar .557 lift cam 5 gal. cell, elec. fuel pump Nice paint, Rare car Race car since 1995

12:1 compression : yeah, just a great compression ratio to run on the street. With todays quality of pump gas, this thing will just run fantastic.

Torker intake manifold : single plane intakes are always great on the street, uuuum, ok. Yeah, we like to run mid range to higher RPM intake manifolds at street cruising speeds. They perform quite admirable on the low end curve don't they ?

4500 RPM stall convertor : really, on the street ..... not. 'Nuff said there.

Trans brake : all street cars gotta have them on it. As if they will use this performance enhancing product on the street.

Line lock : much needed addition to a street car. Every street car needs this.

9" rear with a 4:56 "full spool" : let me know how this works out for you. You must think it's cool to chirp tires while going around corners. You must think it's cool to see that uneven rear tire wear due to having a full spool. You must think it's cool to have to replace axles on a regular basis while running a full spool on the street. You must think it's cool to have to replace rear end bearings in the rear end while running a full spool on the street.

Racing Slicks : oh yeah, there is some d.o.t. approval ratings just gleaming in the sun. Rim screws, ohhh yeah, gotta have rim screws to hold my tires while on the street.

Fuel cell : typically not street approved. This one being just a 5 gallon capacity. Hope ya have a lot of $$$, because you'll be making quite a few fuel stops with this high end engine.

.557 lift cam : this thing would be soooo lazy on the street that it would not even be close to being funny. It would be pathetic. You need RPM's to operate this kind of cam on the street. The kind of RPM's you see on the drag strip, not the street.

Oh, oh, oh, oh ..... read the very last four words in the description. Here, let me help you out ..... "Race car since 1995" Did you catch that ? Again - "Race car since 1995"

Advice : go ask Alex if you can buy a clue !

Nobody's butt hurt. Just gets a bit grating to see the same tired crap about every car needing to be a massive RWD pig with a V8 and a manual lest the driver be a sheep/hipster/liberal/honda fanboy.

I want an automatic not a manual in a big car.

I'm also, for once, not the one complaining about this car not being big, or have a V8 (Living up to it's namesake). I think it's cool without having any of that unlike most others here.

Last edited:

Certainly every car doesn't need to be RWD with a V8 to be cool, but a car that is, at least in theory, the immediate follow-on model to a muscle car ought to have both. The body lines are OK (similar to a Fox Mustang), there's nothing wrong with the entry-level engine, but there's a distinct lack of a top-end engine in line with the model's predecessor. That the engines used would make more power twenty years later doesn't help.

:lol:
Errrrrm, you need some help here. It is a race car. It says "PRO" on the side window for a reason. FYI - "PRO" = Super Pro, that being a classification of cars designated for NHRA competition .... get it ? got it ? good...

Moving on :

12:1 compression : yeah, just a great compression ratio to run on the street. With todays quality of pump gas, this thing will just run fantastic.

Torker intake manifold : single plane intakes are always great on the street, uuuum, ok. Yeah, we like to run mid range to higher RPM intake manifolds at street cruising speeds. They perform quite admirable on the low end curve don't they ?

4500 RPM stall convertor : really, on the street ..... not. 'Nuff said there.

Trans brake : all street cars gotta have them on it. As if they will use this performance enhancing product on the street.

Line lock : much needed addition to a street car. Every street car needs this.

9" rear with a 4:56 "full spool" : let me know how this works out for you. You must think it's cool to chirp tires while going around corners. You must think it's cool to see that uneven rear tire wear due to having a full spool. You must think it's cool to have to replace axles on a regular basis while running a full spool on the street. You must think it's cool to have to replace rear end bearings in the rear end while running a full spool on the street.

Racing Slicks : oh yeah, there is some d.o.t. approval ratings just gleaming in the sun. Rim screws, ohhh yeah, gotta have rim screws to hold my tires while on the street.

Fuel cell : typically not street approved. This one being just a 5 gallon capacity. Hope ya have a lot of $$$, because you'll be making quite a few fuel stops with this high end engine.

.557 lift cam : this thing would be soooo lazy on the street that it would not even be close to being funny. It would be pathetic. You need RPM's to operate this kind of cam on the street. The kind of RPM's you see on the drag strip, not the street.

Oh, oh, oh, oh ..... read the very last four words in the description. Here, let me help you out ..... "Race car since 1995" Did you catch that ? Again - "Race car since 1995"

Advice : go ask Alex if you can buy a clue !

:lol: Hey tell Larry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yWvH5dC7Yo

and everybody else at drag week I'm sure they'd love to hear how all these things are never ever street able in their street machines.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8u_sRlzB2c&list=PLUq6vI3bwXTkc7GXd8CFjp150Z3wmJ3Ni&index=15 :lol: All street legal street driven cars 100%.:sly:

I'm sure the registration thing could be worked out too.:sly::sly:

Hey, how much are those clues.:P

Enough! The laws are different pertaining to motor vehicles almost everywhere, so this may be legal in, say for example, Florida or Nevada, and not in Ohio or Oklahoma. I also feel the need to insert the fast-forgotten idea that these polls are for the factory machines, but it's still "To each their own."

BTW, I couldn't tell you what places allow cars like that if I had every lawbook staring me in the face, so take it for what you will.

Latest Posts

Back