GTP Cool Wall : Challenger RT. VOTE!

Hemi Challenger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess handling vs. big muscle is down to the feelings of the buyer. I can't argue with you that ^^^ is what you want in your car, just like how you wouldn't be able to tell me that my preference for a car that handles well is wrong.

I wouldn't want you to change your preference, not at all. :)

To the bolt part, I do agree. Which is why in the 3 American V8 coupe catagory I would pick the Mustang first then the Challenger.

BUT, truth be told the best musclecar in the world for the money you pay is one of these and I would have it over any of the current American pony/musclecars...

542692_956118_3200_3200_07A1341.JPG

And the funny thing is that I would take an SRT-8 Challenger over the Mustang and Camaro on most days. I would still need another car though, because I wouldn't be able to put up with something that handles sloppily every day. Yet the noise, looks and acceleration are enough to make me want that car quite a bit. But in R/T trim, the Challenger drops from first to last on that list, just because one of it's few great positives isn't a positive anymore.

The R/T to me is worth the money over the SRT-8. Problem is I cannot justify the difference in price. Spend the same difference in price for the R/T and performance mods and it will eat a stock SRT-8 for breakfast.

Jalopnik did a comparo between the three cars. And they did say that the Challenger was terrible. Unless you enjoy a car as unpredictable and difficult as they say the thing is, then the car is not enjoyable in the corners. And I would imagine that it is also pretty uninspiring while you're just driving around. I don't require race car reflexes, especially in a muscle car, but a performance car that handles terribly still scares me. Especially in modern times when even Toyota Camry's can't be too bad to hustle around corners. They also liked the Mustang's handling a lot better, so there's nothing saying a muscle car can't handle well and still be a great muscle car.

Again, they're more than likely to be talking about the cars' handling on the limit. And "the limit" is somewhere that 99% of muscle cars will never be taken (in fairness, probably 99% of cars in general). As long as the handling isn't actually dangerous for that hypothetical 1% then I still don't see any problems. Perhaps it is a little "uninspiring" if you're just driving around but then lets be honest - it's still powered by a large rumbling V8 so it'll be more interesting than your average Camry.

As a bit of a side note, Jalopnik also says that the acceleration was pretty rubbish compared to the other two. So apparently the R/T version can't even do the muscle car bit properly.

This is fair enough - I still believe that it's a little rich expecting it to handle, but if it's not as quick in a straight line then that's it's major failing as opposed to anything else. Not that I'd call 5.5s to 60mph slow, exactly.

Really? Not to be stuck up about the thing or whatever, but I'm kinda surprised to see the GTI getting beat by run of the mill hatchbacks in terms of handling. I'm sure the Renaultsports, JCW MINIs and RS Focuses walk all over the GTI on handling circuits but I thought that a handling oriented hot hatch would run circles around a 1.2 Diesel Clio.

Apologies, I worded my post badly - it was the hot hatches I was talking about as opposed to run of the mill models. I'm sure the GTI does handle better than the normal stuff! But read my post again with this in mind and my point still stands - that the GTI gets eaten alive in the corners by many of the current crop of hot hatches certainly doesn't make it a bad car, and perhaps more relevant to this thread - doesn't mean that it's not cool.

And for the record, I do prefer the Mustang and Camaro (and Dodge's own Charger, for that matter) to the Challenger, but it doesn't mean I don't think the Challenger is cool still...

Last edited:
JCE
Why? Because that overweight pig handles that much better? Sure.

Say hello to a proper American RWD car that can handle and doesn't weigh as much as a house:
2010-ford-mustang-gt.jpg

Bringing the SS Camaro into the mix when talking negatively about the heavy Challenger is rather hypocritical since the Camaro is almost as much of a heavy pig as the Challenger. So, 3,900lbs (Camaro SS) is automatically better than 4,200lbs (Challenger)? Why since I can have 3,500lbs (Mustang)?

And an interior that doesn't suck.

True, the Challenger interior and the Camaro interior are not getting very good reviews. At least the Ford interior isn't BAD, not good like say a 350Z interior but not bad. Plastics feel better, looks fantastic and is comfortable for people 5'11"+. I can't even properly FIT into a Camaro without my head rubbing the headliner.

Hmm, muscle cars for me are only cool for their iconic status mainly from films. Thus...a new car attempting to look retro doesn't really cut it for me. Its not horrible but I feel that if I wanted to pull up to show off my new muscle car, it certainly wouldn't be a brand new model, it would have to be a classic.

I don't really like where they went with the styling in the first place, the old Challenger looked downright dirty, which I loved. This looks too "clean" to me.

I vote uncool because although it would turn many faces, especially overhere in the UK, I'd much prefer its older versions or rivals. Its not terrible though and I can see why others would find it cool, so its not seriously uncool - its not boring like that Mustang.

Again, they're more than likely to be talking about the cars' handling on the limit. And "the limit" is somewhere that 99% of muscle cars will never be taken (in fairness, probably 99% of cars in general). As long as the handling isn't actually dangerous for that hypothetical 1% then I still don't see any problems. Perhaps it is a little "uninspiring" if you're just driving around but then lets be honest - it's still powered by a large rumbling V8 so it'll be more interesting than your average Camry.

If something handles terribly at the limit, I'm sure it's bound to be extremely dull just around town. Basically what you're saying is that there is nothing wrong with it being like a V8 powered Camry. To be honest, if somebody is already forced to drive something as boring as that daily to accommodate their family needs, I don't think they're going to want the same experience with somewhat better acceleration.

And the huge difference between the feel of the Volvo and the GTI is part of why I love that car so much. Where the Volvo is boring in everything it does (except accelerating in 1st gear), the GTI feels great around every corner, feels great braking for stoplights, feels very sporty over every bump and makes great noise. All to the point that accelerating down the straight is the boring part of the drive. And no, the Challenger certainly doesn't have to replicate that feeling, but I would expect it to be a little more than a V8 powered Camry.

While 1970s muscle cars weren't known for their handling prowess, I'm sure a lot of them had a much more inspiring feel than cars of the day like the El Dorado.

Evening gentlemen, just would like to add my 2 cents into this post being that i've been in this car quite a few times and would like to share my observations. :)

1. The car's aesthetic is very "old school" many people either love it or hate it but i actually thinks it looks ok. The car is very big, much bigger and wider than a Mustang.

2. Personally a car's interiors are a very important part for me and this car's are nothing spectacular, the mustang's are much nicer.

3. Performance in a straight line is quick and the engine note is damn right fierce, It's a typical muscle car in the way that it pulls hard all the way up to redline. The suspension however is very soft for being such a big car. It is well damped and absorbs bumps very well but take a curve and it feels very top heavy.

I didn't vote but i personally wouldn't buy one. I would much rather have a 370z anyday. There are some pretty good deals on these cars though, i've seen quite a few dealers selling these cars for less than 30k brand new.

Just like to add: As much as I like a black on black Charger/Challenger R/T I'm buying a black on black Mustang GT convertable next year. :D

If something handles terribly at the limit, I'm sure it's bound to be extremely dull just around town. Basically what you're saying is that there is nothing wrong with it being like a V8 powered Camry. To be honest, if somebody is already forced to drive something as boring as that daily to accommodate their family needs, I don't think they're going to want the same experience with somewhat better acceleration.

I disagree. Quite strongly. Here are a few cars that are, tricky, bad or even dangerous to drive at the limit according to contemporary road tests:

Renault Clio V6
Jaguar XJR15 TWR
Ferrari 348
Any old Porsche 911
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
etc...

And yet, I'd be surprised if they were dull to drive around town. The Clio even has a pretty much standard Clio interior. You suggest also that someone might want something a bit more special if they drive something dull daily, but this isn't taking into consideration that many people might be using a Challenger daily, given that it has enough space for the family already as long as you haven't got too many kids. In this respect, even though the interior is a bit bland, something comfortable and easy to operate might actually be what people want. Then, when the wife and kids aren't with you, you can stomp on the gas and it comes alive.

I'm still listing stuff that's been part of muscle cars like the original Challenger since day one...

Is it going to be another Hotwheels like that red GT you bought earlier?

No, I am going to buy a real Mustang GT convertible next year 1 week after my birthday. Unless the economy is still in the toilet--which could be a distinct possibility since they are wasting our money and not being smart about it.

I disagree. Quite strongly. Here are a few cars that are, tricky, bad or even dangerous to drive at the limit according to contemporary road tests:

And yet, I'd be surprised if they were dull to drive around town. The Clio even has a pretty much standard Clio interior. You suggest also that someone might want something a bit more special if they drive something dull daily, but this isn't taking into consideration that many people might be using a Challenger daily, given that it has enough space for the family already as long as you haven't got too many kids. In this respect, even though the interior is a bit bland, something comfortable and easy to operate might actually be what people want. Then, when the wife and kids aren't with you, you can stomp on the gas and it comes alive.

I'm still listing stuff that's been part of muscle cars like the original Challenger since day one...

But those cars are also somewhat track oriented. I would think that the Challenger would be difficult to drive at the limit because of a poor chassis, big weight and (probably) vague steering.

As for the second comment, I'm not sure how many guys can convince their wives of buying a Challenger on the grounds that "Hey, baby. It's got room for all those kids you'll be popping out soon." But what do I know? We got a GTI to act as part time family car.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be stuck up here, but it's a big, fat, orange car. Compensating are we?

This, coming from a guy from the land of road trains, properties the size of countries, HSVs and Walkinshaws. (no, I can't defend myself against these things):lol:

Latest Posts

Back