GTP Cool Wall : Challenger RT. VOTE!

Hemi Challenger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted cool. Only reason it didn't get subzero is it isn't a true HEMI.

How can something like either of these NOT be cool?
IMG_2112.jpg

The point is as close to a true musclecar as one can get. Who cares that the interior sucks, the brakes suck, the gas mileage sucks and the weight is portly. ITS AN AMERICAN MUSCLECAR! That's the POINT. That's what they ARE! Saloon bodies with a overly large V8 engine under the bonnet. Duh...

Cool, because we've never really had the muscle car thing in the UK so it's always been a largely unattainable thing associated with a cool era in US car history.

So, these modern remakes of classic muscle are cool, and still largely unattainable over here.

+1 You get it. :D And you COULD obtain one its just Her Majesty would tax the hell out if it. :(

only misses sub zero because Chrysler forgot to chop three inches out of the wheelbase, thus shedding 300 lbs.

uncool. too heavy and big.

Umm guys that's the point of the American Musclecar. Large body, large engine and not a lightweight go-into the twisties car. I don't care that it weights 4000lbs it still does what its designed to do any more. It actually handles and stops better than the original 60's incarnation.

I'm enjoying the irony of people complaining that a muscle car, of all things, is heavy and doesn't handle...

Seriously. 👍

The R/T and the SRT's make all the difference in the world to me at least. In terms of the competition, I'm sure I'd rather get a Camaro or Mustang 90% of the time if we're talking about the R/T. But the SRT-8 has the power and the looks that I wouldn't really have too many regrets about choosing that car over the other two.

As far as I see it, the only plus side to the R/T (and SE) are the looks. Only in the SRT trim does the power really start to make the car much better.

I voted cool being an R/T. SRT-8 would likely get a sub zero vote from me.

LOL at all the complaints about it's size, handling, looks and gas mileage.

I'm sorry, but for all those people who think it's alright for this thing to not handle, it's rubbish.

Yes - the original one handled like pants - but why on earth does this one have to - and why is it acceptable?

The corvette (in Z06 form) and Viper have cleaned up their act - as has the Ford GT to a lesser extent. They were all American Muscle cars and today's renditions are really popular - and for good reason. They are priced higher, but they are still objects of desire.

With the new challenger, they've done a good job on the syling, and the engine I pressume, but the car is following the same drive principals as it did in the 70s. With the export/import trade booming and Challengers now reaching most corners of the globe, it isn't on for these cars to be solely designed for the standing start quater mile drag between the lights. The Challenger needs to corner, and it needs to be a quality product. With the engine taking a huge lump of the cost, and the overall car costing 2 cents, it isn't.

JCE
Umm guys that's the point of the American Musclecar. Large body, large engine and not a lightweight go-into the twisties car. I don't care that it weights 4000lbs it still does what its designed to do any more. It actually handles and stops better than the original 60's incarnation.

chevrolet-camaro.jpg

The reason why the Challenger must handle well.

chevrolet-camaro.jpg

The reason why the Challenger must handle well.

Why? Because that overweight pig handles that much better? Sure.

Say hello to a proper American RWD car that can handle and doesn't weigh as much as a house:
2010-ford-mustang-gt.jpg

Bringing the SS Camaro into the mix when talking negatively about the heavy Challenger is rather hypocritical since the Camaro is almost as much of a heavy pig as the Challenger. So, 3,900lbs (Camaro SS) is automatically better than 4,200lbs (Challenger)? Why since I can have 3,500lbs (Mustang)?

The corvette (in Z06 form) and Viper have cleaned up their act - as has the Ford GT to a lesser extent. They were all American Muscle cars and today's renditions are really popular - and for good reason.

The original Ford GT40 wasn't really an american muscle car, it was built in Britain to be a competitive racer at Le Mans to get up Ferrari's nose after he pulled out of the deal to sell to Ford.

It was therefore lightweight and handled quite well, for the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

The original Ford GT40 wasn't really an american muscle car, it was built in Britain to be a competitive racer at Le Mans to get up Ferrari's nose after he pulled out of the deal to sell to Ford.

I would also say that the Corvette and Viper were sports cars too. They just had some muscle car characteristics, mainly the engine. The Corvette didn't even have V8 when it debuted.

None of those cars are really muscle cars though. The Corvette, in my opinion is and always will be a sports car. The Viper is the same way, along with the GT.
It has been said before by a bunch of people already in this thread. Muscle cars are big and fast, that is what they are all about. And the handling can't be all that bad, how many people in this thread have driven one themselves? I haven't so I'm not going to say a whole lot about the way it drives because I don't have any personal experience with the car. Just because you read someone elses opinion in a magazine doesn't mean it's the final verdict.

Now I'm enjoying people saying that muscle cars have to handle well.

It might not handle as well as the competition but I'd be surprised if it actually handled badly. I'm sure it's quite nice to drive 90% of the time and you'd only know it didn't handle if you took it to it's limits in the corners. And really, how many people do that with muscle cars? You can claim the new Mustang handles great but really, if you put it up against a 3-series coupe it'd probably get it's ass handed to it around the corners. And yet - the Mustang is a damn sight better to look at (IMO) and probably a hell of a lot more interesting to power away from the lights. And I'm sure it gives you a good feeling even when you're pottering around. Which - and correct me if I'm wrong here - is the point of a muscle car.

Fair enough if you don't like it because you don't like the looks or you think it's got the wrong engine or whatever but you can't expect it to be a sports car and be disappointed when it isn't.

Oh, and hands up those who've actually driven it before they claim that it's rubbish to drive?...

I'm really not fond to handing out +rep like most people do on this forums. But this ^ comment deserves one.

I actually don't care whether the car handles good or bad. As long as it handles, it's enough for me. Would I love to drive one of these with the handling of a Supercar? You can bet I would. The problem is Supercars are not worth the money. These beauties are.

In my opinion.

Its good-looking, but the car is way too expensive, too heavy, and ultimately underpowered in a rather thick set of muscle car and sport coupe options.

Uncool.

That, and only kool kidz drive Camaros and Mustangs.

Oh, and hands up those who've actually driven it before they claim that it's rubbish to drive?...

That's completely besides the point. One of these cool wall threads was on the F40, and since there's a good chance that an entire 1% of this board has ever driven that car, does it mean they can't claim the car is about as safe as driving a metal coffin? No.

One of these cool wall threads was on the F40, and since there's a good chance that an entire 1% of this board has ever driven that car, does it mean they can't claim the car is about as safe as driving a metal coffin? No.

So who drove the F40?

That's completely besides the point. One of these cool wall threads was on the F40, and since there's a good chance that an entire 1% of this board has ever driven that car, does it mean they can't claim the car is about as safe as driving a metal coffin? No.

People ain't claiming the car is safe or not. It's a whole different thing to prove something it's safe than to prove something handles rubbish. Because handling is subjective. Safety... I doubt so.

I voted "Cool". I think it looks pretty nice, and as a retro styled muscle car it works well. It retains that old school look of it being wide and fairly angular, while fitting in with current design themes of slightly rounded off edges and more hi-tec going on's. It may be underpowered, it may also (apparently) handle not very well but just because a car hasn't got a lot of power or handles poorly doesn't stop it being cool in my opinion.

As long as it goes fast in a straight line, sounds like thunder, and can turn(I don't care how well), I'm happy.

Oh, and it's gotta have a comfortable seat and a nice clutch/shifter

It might not handle as well as the competition but I'd be surprised if it actually handled badly. I'm sure it's quite nice to drive 90% of the time and you'd only know it didn't handle if you took it to it's limits in the corners. And really, how many people do that with muscle cars? You can claim the new Mustang handles great but really, if you put it up against a 3-series coupe it'd probably get it's ass handed to it around the corners. And yet - the Mustang is a damn sight better to look at (IMO) and probably a hell of a lot more interesting to power away from the lights. And I'm sure it gives you a good feeling even when you're pottering around. Which - and correct me if I'm wrong here - is the point of a muscle car.

You say that handling doesn't really matter unless you're on the track. But that's just the numbers side of the equation. If I told you to drive a Challenger and a Lotus across town, I'm sure that you would enjoy driving the Lotus much more, because cars that handle well just plain feel better and are therefore more fun to drive. I am going to assume (even without driving it) the Chrysler have probably created something that really doesn't handle all that much like a sports car. And muscle car or no, that is a big drawback because I like to enjoy driving my car just as much as I enjoy looking at it.

You say that handling doesn't really matter unless you're on the track. But that's just the numbers side of the equation. If I told you to drive a Challenger and a Lotus across town, I'm sure that you would enjoy driving the Lotus much more, because cars that handle well just plain feel better and are therefore more fun to drive. I am going to assume (even without driving it) the Chrysler have probably created something that really doesn't handle all that much like a sports car. And muscle car or no, that is a big drawback because I like to enjoy driving my car just as much as I enjoy looking at it.

Ah, but then your average Lotus would make virtually any car in the world feel distinctly average whether driven on a British country road or whether driven through town. There will be a significant difference between say, an Elise, and an apparently good-handling Mustang. The difference between the Mustang and the Challenger will be much, much smaller, and therefore, irrelevant in context.

I would be very surprised if even something apparently impressive like the Mustang handles as well as... well, even pretty much any European Ford like the Mundano. That's how little handling matters in a muscle car. As long as it isn't genuinely crap, then it's good enough to be a good muscle car.

Not to get to personal, but for instance - you drive a Golf GTI - a perfectly impressive and decent-handling car, but one which is utterly destroyed in most subjective measures by the average Renault or Ford (or MINI) hatch in Europe. That certainly doesn't mean the GTI is a bad handler, but it certainly doesn't shine against the formidable competition it faces. I strongly suspect the Challenger falls into a similar category - that not of a bad handler, simply one marginally outclassed by it's closest competition.

And therefore, not something to be derided as a significant down-side against the Mustang or Camaro.

You say that handling doesn't really matter unless you're on the track. But that's just the numbers side of the equation. If I told you to drive a Challenger and a Lotus across town, I'm sure that you would enjoy driving the Lotus much more, because cars that handle well just plain feel better and are therefore more fun to drive.

Disagree by quite alot. I would enjoy the Challenger much more. Why? Theatre, passion, looks, NOISE and most importantly its just bonkers. The Lotus is boring, cramped, doesn't make a particularly pleasant noise (thanks Toyota) and is more about maths than actual fun. Its designed to get around a track fast--that's the whole point. Yes alot of us might find that fun but not everyday to and from work. I can't enjoy hitting the corner's apex @ 85mph around town. I CAN however enjoy an enthusiastic stomp on the throttle at the lights or to merge on the motorway while making a hell of alot of noise in the process. The Challenger doesn't care about drag coefficient, lateral G's, apexes or being lightweight. It is a big car that looks cool, makes a good noise, smokes its tires and goes quickly in a straight line. EVERYTHING ELSE about the car whether it is good or bad is a moot point as it is just a +/- otherwise. Its a CAR for the sake of BEING a car. You drive it, it puts a smile on your face. If it doesn't check your pulse.

I've owned both sides of the coin and I just enjoy driving cars like a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, 350Z, RX-7, Supra, Corvette and anything with a large engine and RWD more than I do the cars with smaller engines and that can out handle most of the aformentioned. I like both, but prefer one more than the other for everyday use. :sly: 👍

People ain't claiming the car is safe or not. It's a whole different thing to prove something it's safe than to prove something handles rubbish. Because handling is subjective. Safety... I doubt so.

Google "simile".

JCE
Disagree by quite alot. I would enjoy the Challenger much more. Why? Theatre, passion, looks, NOISE and most importantly its just bonkers. The Lotus is boring, cramped, doesn't make a particularly pleasant noise (thanks Toyota) and is more about maths than actual fun. Its designed to get around a track fast--that's the whole point. Yes alot of us might find that fun but not everyday to and from work. I can't enjoy hitting the corner's apex @ 85mph around town. I CAN however enjoy an enthusiastic stomp on the throttle at the lights or to merge on the motorway while making a hell of alot of noise in the process. The Challenger doesn't care about drag coefficient, lateral G's, apexes or being lightweight. It is a big car that looks cool, makes a good noise, smokes its tires and goes quickly in a straight line. EVERYTHING ELSE about the car whether it is good or bad is a moot point as it is just a +/- otherwise. Its a CAR for the sake of BEING a car. You drive it, it puts a smile on your face. If it doesn't check your pulse.

Best post regarding a muscle car since "Hold my beer and watch this s***."

Ah, but then your average Lotus would make virtually any car in the world feel distinctly average whether driven on a British country road or whether driven through town. There will be a significant difference between say, an Elise, and an apparently good-handling Mustang. The difference between the Mustang and the Challenger will be much, much smaller, and therefore, irrelevant in context.

I would be very surprised if even something apparently impressive like the Mustang handles as well as... well, even pretty much any European Ford like the Mundano. That's how little handling matters in a muscle car. As long as it isn't genuinely crap, then it's good enough to be a good muscle car.[/quote]

If I buy a car like the Challenger, then I agree that I am not looking for the thing to handle like it's on rails. But I would still expect to get at least a little joy out of turning the wheel. Especially since these are performance machines. I don't really want something that feels like my family's Volvo with a bigger engine.

Jalopnik did a comparo between the three cars. And they did say that the Challenger was terrible. Unless you enjoy a car as unpredictable and difficult as they say the thing is, then the car is not enjoyable in the corners. And I would imagine that it is also pretty uninspiring while you're just driving around. I don't require race car reflexes, especially in a muscle car, but a performance car that handles terribly still scares me. Especially in modern times when even Toyota Camry's can't be too bad to hustle around corners. They also liked the Mustang's handling a lot better, so there's nothing saying a muscle car can't handle well and still be a great muscle car.

As a bit of a side note, Jalopnik also says that the acceleration was pretty rubbish compared to the other two. So apparently the R/T version can't even do the muscle car bit properly.

Not to get to personal, but for instance - you drive a Golf GTI - a perfectly impressive and decent-handling car, but one which is utterly destroyed in most subjective measures by the average Renault or Ford (or MINI) hatch in Europe. That certainly doesn't mean the GTI is a bad handler, but it certainly doesn't shine against the formidable competition it faces. I strongly suspect the Challenger falls into a similar category - that not of a bad handler, simply one marginally outclassed by it's closest competition.

And therefore, not something to be derided as a significant down-side against the Mustang or Camaro.

Really? Not to be stuck up about the thing or whatever, but I'm kinda surprised to see the GTI getting beat by run of the mill hatchbacks in terms of handling. I'm sure the Renaultsports, JCW MINIs and RS Focuses walk all over the GTI on handling circuits but I thought that a handling oriented hot hatch would run circles around a 1.2 Diesel Clio.

The thing is that the Challenger is a badly handling car. And that is quite a bit of a downside against the other two, which can hold their own when the road turns, and still outperform the Dodge on straight roads.

JCE

I guess handling vs. big muscle is down to the feelings of the buyer. I can't argue with you that ^^^ is what you want in your car, just like how you wouldn't be able to tell me that my preference for a car that handles well is wrong.

And the funny thing is that I would take an SRT-8 Challenger over the Mustang and Camaro on most days. I would still need another car though, because I wouldn't be able to put up with something that handles sloppily every day. Yet the noise, looks and acceleration are enough to make me want that car quite a bit. But in R/T trim, the Challenger drops from first to last on that list, just because one of it's few great positives isn't a positive anymore.

It was therefore lightweight and handled quite well, for the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_GT40

Yes I knew someone would pick me up on it, but much like the original, the late Ford GT has also alot of parts sourced from Europe (the chassis was designed by a few guys from Lotus I believe) and still that thing is considered American - and the original FordGT40 isn't considered as a British car.

As for the statment on it handling well - well I did say to a lesser extent, and if it handled like it did in the 60s and 70s, then it would be considered a poor handler - hence the improvement:crazy:. That is why I put it in the same boat as the others.

Back