GTP Cool Wall: Volvo 240 Estate Turbo

• Thread starter TheBook
  • 100 comments

Volvo 240 Estate Turbo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Terrible, terrible, terrible car.

Positives: It will probably last forever.

Negatives: It might have a turbo, but it's still slow. It looks like it's been battered to death with the ugly stick. Handles like a bag of nails. Driven by pensioners and hippies. It will probably last forever.

HTF anyone in their right mind can consider a Volvo estate cool is beyond me. Volvo's are not awesome, they are boring, slow, old men's cars.

Terrible, terrible, terrible car.

Positives: It will probably last forever.

Negatives: It might have a turbo, but it's still slow. It looks like it's been battered to death with the ugly stick. Handles like a bag of nails. Driven by pensioners and hippies. It will probably last forever.

HTF anyone in their right mind can consider a Volvo estate cool is beyond me. Volvo's are not awesome, they are boring, slow, old men's cars.

What he said.

This car sucks in every way. Saying "It's bad, but it has a turbo" Is like saying "I got raped by a dude, but he was gentle".

That's right - owning one of these is like being raped, but gently.

Uncool. I don't get all the "but it's a turbo" comments as it's still a slow, heavy car.

And the comments about it not dying seem to make it the cockroach of the car world, but which isn't exactly a cool thing either.

Oh, and this is a LOLvo. Just look at the fun they're having...

DSCF1053.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot to say... quite often seen with a caravan attached to the rear... which makes them even worse than seriously un-cool... can we have a new, lower category please... something along the lines of POS.

Sub-zero. May not be the best handling, fastest or best looking wagon, but it's one of those cars, like the Miata, that turns owners into instant, dyed-in-the-wool, lifetime fanatics.

In the UK only these people

newage5_wt.jpg

drive that car.

If the girls all go topless like that, great! :lol:

Is it awful that we have a didgeridoo in the living room? Incredibly difficult instrument to play if you don't have the lungs of Louis Armstrong.

If the girls all go topless like that, great! :lol:

She's an environ-mental, new age, Gaia-worshipping hippy. She'll have a cleavage hairier than a builder's arse-crack. There's not a lot sexy about dropping two fried eggs onto an angora rabbit.

So ugly its cool. I don't even know why, I've always had a soft spot for these things.

The UK contingency are full of funny today, I don't think Eric Cartman hates hippies as much as Famine!

This Volvo is complete and utter gash, seriously uncool. It pretends to be a family wagon yet in owning it you're guaranteed never to reproduce.

I've never seen a hippie driving a 240. Then again, the only people I see driving them 'round here are young men who can't afford anything better...

Cool to someone who knows what it is, not cool to someone who doesn't. That means you have to explain it and anything that needs to be explained isn't cool.

My thoughts exactly.

Still I voted "cool", because I have always had a soft spot for turbo RWD wagons.

;)

I don't know who was nuts enough to nominate this but I'll surely be nuts enough to give it its first and possibly only Sub-Zero.
I was nuts enough to nominate this... ;)

... and what a result! It's really close between Sub-Zero and Cool! Never expected that. :eek:

I know these cars have kind of a cool-status in the states though, from what I've seen on the turbobricks.com forum.

EDIT: I voted cool btw. They're simply not quite as rare here to make it a Sub-Zero.

Cool to someone who knows what it is, not cool to someone who doesn't. That means you have to explain it and anything that needs to be explained isn't cool.

My thoughts exactly.

See, that's your problem, right there. There's no need to explain anything unless you need the self-esteem reinforcement. If someone doesn't know what it is, it is not worth bothering to explain it to them. The people who matter will recognize it without explanation anyway.

Telling people you drive a station wagon, especially a station wagon from the 80's that looks like a brick, isn't cool. You have to explain to them why it wasn't just some POS car that you bought because you couldn't afford anything better.

I can see where you're coming from, Duke. However, to non car-nuts, a big station wagon from the 80's is going to scream uncool. As Joey says, you would have to explain to everyone (when their noses turn up after first viewing of the beast) why you have such a thing. Only massive gear-heads (and people from Sweden) know what this car represents.

Still, I couldn't help but at least give it a nod to "cool". I want one very badly. Very very badly.

;)

You may have seen this, but I couldn't resist.

No, it's not a turbo, and yes, it's a later model than the one on the poll, but I think the lyrics are very true so I just had to post it. 👍

[YOUTUBEHD]tKOVF1qwPzI[/YOUTUBEHD]

Sub-zero. May not be the best handling, fastest or best looking wagon, but it's one of those cars, like the Miata, that turns owners into instant, dyed-in-the-wool, lifetime fanatics.

This= automatic cool.

Let the ignoramuses think it's uncool. It just means there are less jackholes bothering you at the lights for a race etc.

Just about any car that generates a fanatical following is an automatic Sub Zero. People in general don't get fanatical about mediocre stuff.

Witness the legions of Camry cult followers[/sarcasm]

Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon would be the model that I would say "Cool" the 240 was just on it's way to cool but not yet so it's a "Meh" for me

8502.jpg

8503.jpg

Then you make it "Sub Zero Cool" by doing this.

Last edited:
She's an environ-mental, new age, Gaia-worshipping hippy. She'll have a cleavage hairier than a builder's arse-crack. There's not a lot sexy about dropping two fried eggs onto an angora rabbit.

I've always considered myself a closet furry.

Fried eggs on an angora rabbit?

Come to think of it...(thinks of female orangutans...)

...the idea is starting to lose its appeal...

Let the ignoramuses think it's uncool. It just means there are less jackholes bothering you at the lights for a race etc.

Which is a good job since most cars built today would blow it away with very little trouble.

Just about any car that generates a fanatical following is an automatic Sub Zero. People in general don't get fanatical about mediocre stuff.

What about the whole VW fans crew? Does slamming and sicking on a set of Ronal Turbos make a Mk2 Polo any less mediocre?

Are Nissan 180SX's or rear wheel drive Corollas Sub Zero?

Are Priuses anything like approaching cool?

This is supposed to be a forum of car fans... yet a car with no redeeming qualities other than longevity gets voted cool/sub-zero on the basis that 1. it's got a turbo and 2. it has a cult following.

FFS, loads of cars have turbos, and train spotting has a cult following as a hobby, but that doesn't make it cool or the people that do it any less sad.

As Joey says, you would have to explain to everyone (when their noses turn up after first viewing of the beast) why you have such a thing. Only massive gear-heads (and people from Sweden) know what this car represents.

And what I'm saying is, I don't care what anybody except massive gearheads (some of whom may be from Sweden) thinks about what I drive, so there is no need to explain anything.

So nobody can claim to love cars or call themselves a gearhead if they dont like this thing?

Thats as ignorant as Jeremy Clarkson stating no-one can call themselves a true petrolhead until they have owned an Alfa Romeo.

Well it would be if that's what he'd said. Which he didn't.

Even if they did race you, you'd lose. 9.3 second 0-60 isn't exactly fast.

I have full respect for you guys who think it's uncool, but don't say it's slow, because it wasn't back in the day. And heavy? Compared to a Civic, yes, but it's a wagon god damn it!

It's not fast, a Camaro or Mustang from the same time would hit 60 in about 7 seconds. Even then though, I'm not judging a car on how it was, I'm judging it on how it is since I don't live in the past, I live in the present.

Back