GTP Cool Wall: Volvo 240 Estate Turbo

• Thread starter TheBook
  • 100 comments

Volvo 240 Estate Turbo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was I talking about you specifically?

You posted directly after my post, with no indication to the contrary, so please forgive me for assuming you were replying to me.

You have an opinion that opinions aren't facts. I have an opinion that they are. Neither of our opinions can be factual because they disagree. Which means that your opinion that opinions aren't facts is correct and thus a fact. Which is a problem because your opinion is that opinions aren't facts, meaning your opinion is incorrect and mine is. That then causes a further problem because that means your opinion that opinions aren't facts is also a fact.

And so on. Having fun yet?

You cheated on step 2. Just because they disagree doesn't mean that the statement "opinions aren't facts" is correct. It means some opinions aren't facts. So the statement that all opinions aren't facts is not validated. In fact, it is necessary that some opinions can be facts - because otherwise people would be disallowed from holding factual opinions.

However, it is certainly a fact that it is your opinion that opinion is fact. :)

I'm more and more getting the feeling you simply enjoy being a smartass to people.

What, you think I'd post if I didn't enjoy it? That'd be the dumbest thing... ever.

I also find it odd a moderator can spend so much time off topic. That's however, also just my opinion.

Fact!

The Mustangs and Camaros of the day would be hardly considered fast cars and they have the 240 beat by at least 2 seconds getting to 60.

But during the day and the time, they were considered fast. Porsche's 944 flagship of 1981 only had 150 hp and did the deed in over 8 seconds... with the same 150 hp output. For a car of its day, and a big heavy wagon, to boot, the 240 was quick.

Besides this, I'd like to note:

The only car in Lord Kelvin's Icebox on this site takes nearly 9 seconds to get to 100 km/h.

One of the few cars in subzero... in fact, the only front-wheel drive car in subzero, the Mini, takes nearly half-a-minute.

The 240 was quick for its day, but that's not all of what makes it cool... and calling it slow by today's standards doesn't change the fact of whether it's cool or not.

And like I said I live in the present, not the past. It's not 1984, it's 2010 I'm judging cars on how they are today...and today the 240 is just a slow, ugly brick.

By today's standards, much of what's cool on the Cool Wall that's old is a slow brick. Ugly? Debatable.

-

I have no actual, factual reasons for voting for the 240, aside from the fact that it's an old Volvo wagon, which I think is cool, and it inspires a cult-ish following amongst peopel who've actually driven and/or owned it... which is a mark of coolness.

Take the Beetle... it's a noisy, horrible, slow, cramped, poor-riding, noisy, terrible little car. I rode one for two or three years in the carpool in grade school, and was happy to be transferred to a bus out of that thing... and yet, given the chance... I'd buy one, just for the hell of it. Because it's cool. Any car that can elicit that kind of feeling in a lot of people has got something going for it, whether we understand what that something is or not.

Cool != fast, I never said that. One post talked about winning races with it, I merely pointed out you weren't going to win.

Cool. It's a wagon. It's turbocharged. They can be had for almost free. It's just too sweet for most people to comprehend.

Maybe I should get one and slap a big turbo on it.

Back