GTP GT2 Championship

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 233 comments
Fogelhund
Certainly if Mike doesn't have the time/energy to put another on, I could do something. (I have organized several dozen GT2 race series) Of course, if Mike does want to run something, I'll be back.

It would be great if Fogel could organise another tourni - or a weekly race series - (I offer assistance where-ever possible). I just dont think i will have the time, as I start a new "jorb" in a month :) + :(

I am finding it impossible to put a "clean" lap together. I have at least 1.5 - 2 secs waiting to be found, but in trying to rid the Clio of entry understeer/exit oversteer I lost the sweetspot in the settings. :mad:

No room for error on this track.

The trickiest part is the first sector. First in getting that left, right bits right at speed, as it gets VERY twitchy when you get things real right. Then, if things go very well through the tunnel (again in first sector), often you get too much air, and are in flight at the braking point... which turns out not too well. I've got my time down to about six tenths from a fastest sectors lap, so it isn't going too poorly.

Yea, i got that first left-right wrong about 50% of the time. The stock result was all four wheels off the ground and a nice long sideways slide across grass, curb, track and into wall.

Yea, spot on about getting airy in the first tunnel. Add some sideways action and you have me starting off the second sector badly. :) Also that hard left leading to the final chicane is tough, as the car bottoms out and oversteers on entry 👎

This car is a right handful, but satisfying to drive (when i get it right).

Well, the more you drive this car, the more it comes to you. In the last session managed to get through the last "S" section before the start line flat out. Of course this translates to a great last sector, and great first sector as well.

I was really suprised by how fast this car would actually go. Nice Choice Mike.

Fogelhund
Well, the more you drive this car, the more it comes to you. In the last session managed to get through the last "S" section before the start line flat out. Of course this translates to a great last sector, and great first sector as well.

I was really suprised by how fast this car would actually go. Nice Choice Mike.

Thanks ;)

I am giving it a few more hours for oxigen to submit, but at the moment, it is "tight at the top" :D

Well, results up. Well done to the Fogelhund :cheers:

And a thanks to oxigen_gsr who stuck out the entire series, unlike 91% of the others who began round 1 :cheers:

On the Final 3, i wuz robbed! Nah, just joking, I lost it in the left hander leading to the final chicane. I spend a lot of time sideways in that corner, and the long left hander after the first left-right was a real seat-of-the-pants effort too. :D

Well done to Fogelhund for a clean sweep :eek:

Mike Rotch
Well, results up. Well done to the Fogelhund :cheers:

And a thanks to oxigen_gsr who stuck out the entire series, unlike 91% of the others who began round 1 :cheers:

On the Final 3, i wuz robbed! Nah, just joking, I lost it in the left hander leading to the final chicane. I spend a lot of time sideways in that corner, and the long left hander after the first left-right was a real seat-of-the-pants effort too. :D

Well done to Fogelhund for a clean sweep :eek:

Oops! I missed the last one. Well...I'm not in it for points anyhow.

When and what is the next series?

oxigen_gsr
I dont understand how you guys are so fast :/

To some extend it is a mindset. For example, in my mind I have all the corners at Midfield maxed out. Obviously I havent, otherwise I woulda won that round. It basically comes down to me being "afraid" of trying out new racing lines that arent tried and tested.

I dunno how to explain Grindel. My previous best was a 1:15 in the Xsara, how i yanked a few seconds off that time, I dont know.

One must also bear in mind that a seemingly insignificant suspension tweak can make the world of different.

One of my recommendations is instead of doing 100 laps in one session, split it into 4 or 5 twenty lap sessions. I find that after 10 laps or so I just cant go faster. A break refreshes the mind, and increases the chances of lower times in the future.

When and what is the next series?

I will have to see what Fogel says, as it doesnt look like I will have the time to. However, if people PM me their emails, at least if i do decide to do one in the future, I can let you know. :)

that's all true. I have all gold in all the licences, so I know what it is to get yourself dialed into a track. it just seems like you guys are lapping 2seconds quicker that even my best sectors combined. it's, incredible. i don't understand how you can be that much quicker, like there's something you're all not telling me like, "oh what? you dont hold square all the time to switch on your downforce?" the mind boggles.

Well, Fogel will have to reveal his secrets too as he beat me by like 1.5 secs a time. A lot may come down to set-up. Elinimating understeer on corner exit may lead to .5s gain if there is a long straight involved. I didnt play around with gear ratios at all, but ensuring you are carrying optimal speed through corners is also vital.

How long you been playing oxigen?

since GT1 came out. since as long as i can remember. I remember playing GT2 in a full race car setup at a pre-release thing harvey norman was holding.

I'll post details on a GT2 series next week.

As far as the times. I've posted my settings in here previously, and for the most part, I almost always use the same settings in the suspension.

Competition makes you faster. I've been competing in "On-Line" racing competitions in GT2 from the first week it came out. At one point I was usually in two or three series at a time. You just learn to be faster. Settings are very important though.

A few of then next GT2 championship will include settings requirements, just to give people an idea of what is possible. If you ever want my settings, just ask.

One way I become faster is by changing the setting to a more oversteer friendly set up.An example would be the Cusco on the Laguna Seca race.Since it main problem was understeer I rearranged the downforce for oversteer.Also you have to try every available line.Don't forget to change your gear ratios to accomadate the track.Another way I become Faster is by not playing the game for like 2 weeks and the come back and kill almost all my old times.

Touge Master
One way I become faster is by changing the setting to a more oversteer friendly set up.An example would be the Cusco on the Laguna Seca race.Since it main problem was understeer I rearranged the downforce for oversteer.Also you have to try every available line.Don't forget to change your gear ratios to accomadate the track.Another way I become Faster is by not playing the game for like 2 weeks and the come back and kill almost all my old times.

I agree with the oversteer settings, but only mess with the downforce once everything else has been tried ;)

Competition makes you faster. I've been competing in "On-Line" racing competitions in GT2 from the first week it came out. At one point I was usually in two or three series at a time. You just learn to be faster. Settings are very important though.

Competition definitely makes you faster. This series is proof enough for me.

Count me in Fogel :) (although I may not make every race due to time constraints ;) )

Mike Rotch
To some extend it is a mindset. For example, in my mind I have all the corners at Midfield maxed out. Obviously I havent, otherwise I woulda won that round. It basically comes down to me being "afraid" of trying out new racing lines that arent tried and tested.

I agree with that. You should play around with different lines whenever possible. Also, don't be afraid to use understeer and oversteer as different means of controlling your car by changing it's direction and even to do some braking while changing direction without using your actual brakes.

One of my recommendations is instead of doing 100 laps in one session, split it into 4 or 5 twenty lap sessions. I find that after 10 laps or so I just cant go faster. A break refreshes the mind, and increases the chances of lower times in the future.

I have to agree here too. In an extended practice session, my 2nd lap can hang on as the fastest for a very long time. It's usually smoother than the rest of my laps because I don't start trying different lines until the 3rd time around and then each lap after that.

Get a smooth conservative lap with what you know, and then try some different lines on different parts of the track. Take a break and then do another smooth lap with whatever you've learned that's new and helps lower a time (on a specific section, for example). Then try more daring things in a different part of the track and repeat.

Sitting for an extended period and wrestling with your car to shave a 10th or 100th of a second off will just frustrate most people and makes it hard to improve anything or realize that you are getting better.

oxigen_gsr
since GT1 came out. since as long as i can remember. I remember playing GT2 in a full race car setup at a pre-release thing harvey norman was holding.

Another thing that I do is cycle through the 300-something cars that I have on 4 different memory cards.

I switch between FF, FR, MR, AWD, and even RR regularly. I also use cars of very different power levels and weights as well as full race prepped (by me), full race cars (won or purchased), and in varying states of tune from stock to full race prepped.

All the variations, hopefully, make me flexible in more ways than one. I can sometimes even use what I learn with an AWD car to improve my skill with an FF, for example, or an MR to help with FR. That's actually a really good training tool, IMO. Practice with MR2s, MR-Ses, NSXes, etc. then go back to FR machines and oversteer will be easier to control.

I do everything you guys talk about, i just don't understand how you can be so fast. there's nothing that i can fault about my methods for going fast. oh well. practice.

This one is over, but i do believe there is one in the works very soon. Stick around 👍

Mike, whom do I talk to about removing this series from the "sticky" and adding the "New" thread as a new sticky?

BTW.. look for the first event to be the Mini Special Model.

Hey Fogel, just PM any mod and ask them to:

1) Unsticky this and the results thread and,
2) Move em to the OLR Long Series forum (otherwise they will confuse joiners to the new series ;)

Edit: Have sent GoKents a "move" request 👍

Back