GTP_RogerTheHors
Nominated by @Ken Koios
Hot Wheels​

Hot-Wheels.jpeg

Scale: 1:64
First released: 1968
Parent Company: Mattel
Country of Origin: U.S.A.

I collect them, but I can't give them Sub Zero, as my hot wheels money's been going more towards other brands.

I own far too many of these. Only Matchbox cars tend to stay in their boxes though, of the two Mattel brands.

I was once a collector, but i quit halfway through adolescence. My personal favorite was the McLaren F1 clone: the HW Prototype 12.

Nowadays, i just find better uses for 5 Singaporean dollars.

They were impossibly cool when they were toys. Then they became "collectible". Now, at this stage of my life, they are collectibles, and as such, are impossibly uncool.

I have thousands and thousands of them.

Had them since I was like 2. Still at least 300 opened up, and 100 still packaged, plus three of the ToysRUs promo cars. 👍 SZ.

Matchbox cars are better, but Hot Wheels are still cool (either way Mattel makes money).

*Much like a Lego brick, they become Seriously Uncool if you step on the wrong one in the middle of the night.

Toys that inspire kids to be passionate about a hobby are pretty cool in my book.

Tis hobby has now become a way to teach kids to scalp material. Good for survival and business practices, but immoral and toxic for the community.

If there is one thing I can say is good about Hot Wheels, it got me to expand my taste in automotive designs in numerous eras. I could say I'd have less of an appreciation for classic cars if I never got into collecting these things.

I love then. Always have. Collected when I was a kid, and I still collect. They always put a smile on my face. That gets a subzero from me.

If they were a set scale I would collect them but as they are blister scale I only buy the odd one now and then. I would say cool because they come up with great original designs and also regularly update their real castings.

For the money they are OK but I would rather spend a bit more on something more detailed with plastic lights and true style wheels.

Tis hobby has now become a way to teach kids to scalp material. Good for survival and business practices, but immoral and toxic for the community.

I don't think most parents teach kids to be scalpers. My parents certainly didn't. Unfortunately a few rotten people can ruin it for the rest of us.

Most of my 500+ collection went out the door a decade ago. Hot Wheels made up at least 50% of that total even when Matchbox and Corgi each had a far better selection. If I ever regain any interest in buying die cast models, I'd jump on those two before I go for anything from Hot Wheels.

As an 8 year-old, I thought they were all unbelievably cool. The thought of collecting them now however seems almost the polar opposite. As likeable as they may be.

Uncool.

I don't think most parents teach kids to be scalpers. My parents certainly didn't. Unfortunately a few rotten people can ruin it for the rest of us.

Not the parents, but when they learn about the value and demand in goods, as well as experience the good side of greed for the first time ever, you bet stuff is going to go down.

There's nothing more uncooler (in terms of collecting), than rummaging through a small box - on your knees - in the middle of a shopping isle - in a busy supermarket, with fellow shoppers looking at you with "What are you doing" expressions on their faces..
But small diecast cars are a pretty cool thing that bring a lot of happiness. So low cool for me.

Back