GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,249 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would like to join this series, so add me please. angrykoala_89 that is my PSN
 
Brilliant, brilliant racing from egg and bro! Your driving skills and great manners are very much appreciated! I tried every trick I could think of within the rules to break free, but I was not able to shake you off. The draft at Indy is a little surprising- even being .7 ahead coming out of the last corner, you guys were both able to pass me well before the finish line. This sure is making for a close points race! 👍

I saw a question posed about qualifying- my contribution on the topic is that the new procedure is very fun, but not a good way to do it, even with 3 hot laps.

There are 2 major negatives with it- first, even if we had 4 or 5 hot laps, nerves and chance still make it so some people may hit a lap near their potential and some may not. With a half hour of everyone qualifying at once, everyone has plenty of laps to get close to their potential, and the nerves are much reduced because they arent being watched by a large group of their competitors.

And secondly - and this is the point that introduces a very unrealistic element - is that after all of our hard work in practicing, learning the track, and developing our own tactics, all of our competitors get a chance to watch our every move, and steal any ideas that we may have earned on our own to get around the track faster.

As for the old method- it requires much less time (thereby making the race available to a larger group of people), it allows a better chance for everyone to acheive their best hot lap, and it prevents us from easily stealing tactics from one another. I believe we tried a new qualifying method because there was a concern about track cutting on the hot lap- my view on that is that cheating is cheating, and if there are cheaters who will cut the track on purpose, the same cheaters will use illegal parts, so either we come up with as many ways to combat cheating as there are ways to cheat, or we trust that the majority will not cheat and proceed with the otherwise best ways of doing things. Another small bonus is that the old method handles the starting grid with no effort or hassle on our part.




We could ... communicate by tooting.

lol-gorilla.jpg
 
What if I opened up that qualifying room and everyone can come and go as they please, but you can run as many laps as you want for 1 hour? Obviously some people would need to leave for a bit to allow others to join the room, but it could work better.

Edit: I'll just have to figure out how to get everyone's quickest times...
 
can someone send me the race replays so i can compile highlights in HD ?
 
Brilliant, brilliant racing from egg and bro! Your driving skills and great manners are very much appreciated! I tried every trick I could think of within the rules to break free, but I was not able to shake you off. The draft at Indy is a little surprising- even being .7 ahead coming out of the last corner, you guys were both able to pass me well before the finish line. This sure is making for a close points race! 👍

Great racing from you too dudeman! I was just hoping that all the bump drafting wasn't going to upset you. I tried to make sure to only push you and Egg on the straights and to lay off well before we got to the braking zones.

As for the last corner, I purposely was laying back because I knew that I could get a larger run with more space and I needed to keep Egg as close as possible so he wouldn't pass me. I knew I needed to be in third out of the last corner from a practice race that Egg, Spy, and I ran early in the week but I guess I forgot in "the heat of the moment".
 
Last edited:
Great racing from you too dudeman! I was just hoping that all the bump drafting wasn't going to upset you. I tried to make sure to only push you and Egg on the straights and to lay off well before we got to the braking zones.

As for the last corner, I purposely was laying back because I knew that I could get a larger run with more space and I need to keep Egg as close as possible so he wouldn't pass me. I knew I needed to be in third out of the last corner from a practice race that Egg, Spy, and I ran early in the week but I guess I forgot in "the heat of the moment".

You did everything brilliantly, it was very impressive :)

I was just hoping that all the bump drafting wasn't going to upset you.

Again, perfectly executed 👍
 
You did everything brilliantly, it was very impressive :)

Again, perfectly executed 👍

Ahh, you're making me blush. :dopey:



ScepTer_ what happened in turn 1 on lap 16? Were you really trying to drive it in deep or were you looking in your mirrors and missed your braking point?
 
Ahh, you're making me blush. :dopey:



ScepTer_ what happened in turn 1 on lap 16? Were you really trying to drive it in deep or were you looking in your mirrors and missed your braking point?

The latter :ouch: I was looking out the side to make sure I was clear of Turbo and looked back up just in time to see myself go sailing past the 100m marker. Completely lost the draft after that so I pretty much screwed myself with that one.
 
I think popping your headlights up should mean "I'm gonna bump draft you"
....OR honk your horn?? :)
Flashing headlights is usually the signal for coming through yeah? Honking the horn could work.
I don't hear the horns ever. I'm usually listening to music so that could be partly why.
I don't listen to anything but the engines... and I rarely ever hear horns over that.

Also, flashing is useless IMO because you can't even see it unless someone is immediately behind you. The point of flashing in racing is to let someone of your intent to pass, and this game doesn't render well enough to notice someone is flashing their headlights until they are pretty much within bumping range. I think by that time the car filling your mirror would have already been a pretty good indicator that you are not fast enough for the person behind you.
 
There are 2 major negatives with it- first, even if we had 4 or 5 hot laps, nerves and chance still make it so some people may hit a lap near their potential and some may not. With a half hour of everyone qualifying at once, everyone has plenty of laps to get close to their potential, and the nerves are much reduced because they arent being watched by a large group of their competitors.
I agree here; two qualifying laps was not nearly good enough. For some people, trying to get the tires nice and broken in and get into the rhythm of the track could easily take 5-10 laps.

Not to mention I (as well as a couple others) spun coming out of the last infield corner on the 2nd qualifying lap, thus reducing us to only having 1 official lap... in which the tires were still pretty cold. Quite frustrating for sure; as even after posting my single qualifying lap which was right on par with my fastest at the time, I went to the practice room and managed to run a lap that was 0.8 faster than I had previously ever done.

And secondly - and this is the point that introduces a very unrealistic element - is that after all of our hard work in practicing, learning the track, and developing our own tactics, all of our competitors get a chance to watch our every move, and steal any ideas that we may have earned on our own to get around the track faster.
You mean like how you secretly raped the outer curbing going into the final turn at Nürburgring GP during all those laps when you had a significant lead but then you stopped when 2nd place finally caught up to you? That's right, I saw it. :p

People get to see your every move once the race is over anyway, and of course that won't be of any help to them for the race that just ended... but people are going to slowly pick up on the 'tactics' used by faster drivers regardless. Don't you want the slower guys to get faster so you have some formidable competition in the seasons to come? Or do you enjoy those multiple boring laps all by yourself way out in front of everyone? I know I didn't this last time.

And how in the hell can you say that it "introduces a very unrealistic element?" I suppose you're not aware that during qualifying for any real racing series on earth all the other drivers are there, and their wives, and the press, and tv crews are there with their cameras filming, and then everyone gets to watch your qualifying lap on TV just prior to the race when it's aired. Gasp! They gonna see all my secrets!
 
As ppl have already mentioned spectators watching qualifying is realistic, and the 2 lap qualifying makes the series very exciting. Ne real race car driver has to perform under pressure
and this qualifying system is just one of those situations.
 
GTP Spec Miata Series, training you for the real world two laps at a time. :D
 
I was not aware that spec Miata racing was televised, and that they had the technology present for competitors to monitor each other's gear selection, throttle and brake inputs, and driving line. I always thought this type of racing was done with a group qualifying session, and that the closest thing you could get to seeing what others were doing would be if you somehow weren't in the qualifying session and were spectating at one of the corners, and were only able to get a general idea of what was happening at just one turn. Sorry! :O
 
They may not have the technology for all that in Spec Miata racing, but of course I was mainly referring to larger racing outfits like F1, Indy, Nascar, etc. What do you think those guys do with the headsets that are always watching monitors... playing GT5? :lol: Maybe they don't have access to every other teams telemetry, but I'm sure they have enough team coverage to know what lines others are taking as well as what gear they may be in. The fact that it's all displayed for everyone blatantly in GT5 is just something you're going to have to suffer with as it's a benefit to everyone who is slower than you. I know I learned a good bit of how to be faster at Indy by watching others qualify. I was doing lots of shifting until I noticed that a lot of the quicker people were staying in 3rd through all the turns aside from the double hairpin. Besides, I think YOU pretty much avoided most of the prying eyes anyway... since you showed up at the end of qualifying when many others had left and gone to the practice room.
 
The fact that it's all displayed for everyone blatantly in GT5 is just something you're going to have to suffer with as it's a benefit to everyone who is slower than you. I know I learned a good bit of how to be faster at Indy by watching others qualify.

I see this as a plus. The series is supposed to be for close racing anyways, right?
 
Spec Miat(a) time! Room open:

1472-6118-4259-7711-2897

Edit: tsnacks and Wardez, get in here instead of creeping about the forum.

Ran a 5.728 running the same setup that I ran at Indy. I definitely left a lot on the table. Who's going to be the first to break into the fours?
 
Last edited:
Spec Miat(a) time! Room open:

1472-6118-4259-7711-2897

Edit: tsnacks and Wardez, get in here instead of creeping about the forum.

Ran a 5.728 running the same setup that I ran at Indy. I definitely left a lot on the table. Who's going to be the first to break into the fours?

wow... if you keep running a 5 second lap i think you'll pole.. :ouch:
 
wow... if you keep running a 5 second lap i think you'll pole.. :ouch:

:lol: smart-ass :sly:

Yea, right now I'm running verrrrrry consistent low-1:06's. I think the fastest I broke into, was a 1:05.899 :lol:

I feel ALOT more 'at home' with Tsukuba, compared to Indy... it's just tooooo long/fast of a track with our relatively slow "top-end" lmao, which leads to a lot of room for error... (with someone like me, that is.. Haha) Now, on the other hand, Tsukuba is faaar more 'fluid' and if you ask me, there are PLENTY of places to pass on this track, you just have to know how to utilize them properly! Haha 👍

Definitely can't wait for this next race!
 
This looks like a blast. I would like to join in, will have a car ready in the next couple days (not sure the colors yet).
 
1:05's huh? Damn. I just did a small session on my own and managed a 1:06.2xx after about 6 laps. Think I'm happy with the car though, so I'm not going to change anything.
 
1:05's huh? Damn. I just did a small session on my own and managed a 1:06.2xx after about 6 laps. Think I'm happy with the car though, so I'm not going to change anything.
👍 Same.. Lol

However, on the other hand, I just ran the Miata 4hr Enduro last night (Tues) with my SpecM, and got to learn a whole mess of lines on Tsukuba :) 210 laps in 4hrs lol.
 
Ok, the VW Golf Mk1 GTi is a freaking blast! :lol:

New favorite car. :D
 
Ok, the VW Golf Mk1 GTi is a freaking blast! :lol:

New favorite car. :D

Same here!!!!! Have you taken it on the 'Ring yet?? 👍👍 talk about a go-kart!!! :dopey:
 
Maybe tomorrow. Going to see what it does around Tsukuba right now. :)
 
Lol, what tires, outta curiosity? And what's your HP looking like? I'd like to know, so I could maybe see what I could pull around there, as well.. :) haha
 
I've got it fully tuned on Sport Softs, minus the turbo. Making somewhere around 150hp? I just shut my system off.

Also, here's a screen shot of the finish at the line from Group A.

RoadCourse-Indy.jpg
 
Ten-four.. just wondering 👍
Great pic man, haha looks like y'all really DID have a tight race!!! :D
Definitely looking forward to some more racing guys!!
 
Room is closed FYI.

Jeez Graham, I leave the room in your hands and you forget to keep the thread abreast of the room's situation. Failure. :dopey:

Also, here's a screen shot of the finish at the line from Group A.

The white paint on EL_Z's SM really shows the battle wounds.
 
Last edited:
I knew 1:05's would be happening. My other Spec Miata series just happens to be running Tsukuba this week too, and I was doing some practice last night. Got down to a 1:06.085 best. Had a few back to back 1:06.2's as well. Going to be a crowded track, with double digit racers. LOL.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back