GTP Top Gear Power Laps

ninianman
Hey, this is a little event/community thing that we could possibly start up. I got the idea from doing a time trial lap on the Top Gear test track.

The Idea

Every week I will choose a car to do a power lap around the Top Gear test track. That car MUST be stock and no additional tuning parts must be used. Although fine tuning can be done (i.e. adjusting brake-bias etc). Players can give me their best lap time. The car must start off the line. No rolling starts please (and i can tell when the player has done a rolling start :) )

Heres how it will be set up.

Players post their times here that they achieved (REMEMBER: It has to be an "off-the-line start and no boosted cars!)

Here is an example of how the times will be represented. The first lap time board will be made up of the various people who attempted the week's challenge, anyone can take up the challenge so the amount of times set on this board can vary. This is to give everyone a shot at getting a better time than their fellow community members.

Ferrari F40 Power Lap Times

1. HuggyBearGT Ferrari F40 - 1:20.983
  2. Player_2 Ferrari F40 - 1:20. 998
  3. Player_3 Ferrari F40 - 1:21.254

The person with the top time on this board will have their Lap Time posted on the Official Power Lap Times board which will look like the following:

Power Lap Times

1. Ferrari F40 - 1:20.983 - HuggyBear
  2. Aston Martin DB9 - 1:22.341 - Player_2
    [8]

When the week's challenge has been done, the first board with lap times will be reset for the week ahead and i will archive the previous week's lap time results.

Players can also post pictures of their cars and write up a mini-review of their car, and their tuning set-up.

(I will also reserve two posts on this thread for the lap time boards.)

Suggestion from HuggyBearGT on how to do rolling starts:

Pull-up the car, hold down the hand-brake. This will stop rolling and you will also be able to rev your engine beforehand.

Suggestion from MrKipling43:

Suggestion regarding the standing start.

On the right hand side of the track, just ahead of the start line is a little black strip of tar. I reckon line up with the end of that which is the farthest from the start line 'touching' the bottom of the traditional GT 'on board' view.

What do you think? Should add some consistency...

Also, here is a link of The Stig's Official Power Lap Times:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

So, why not begin now hey?!

This week's car is Nissan GT-R Spec-V '09

Last edited:
Nissan GT-R Spec V '09 Power Lap Times

1:14.800 - andy63
1:15.553 - AesopF1
1:15.738 - HuggyBearGT
1:16.730 - ZX636-R
1:17.550 - MrKipling43
1:17.659 - mika haka
1:18.976 - unp-ben
1:19.968 - ucwepn

Last edited:
This is a good idea but why not just use rolling starts? That way its equal between all players. The thing with standing starts is that everyone will be starting from slightly different positions.

Can't you set standing starts on the TGTT when creating an Online race on said track? Might be a way of standardising the timing. Sure i saw that option the other day.

I managed a 1.09.068 with my Subaru Impreza

No you didn´t. Not with a stock impreza and a standing start.

Btw, this sounds like a lot of fun! I haven´t bought the car yet, but maybe I will for this challenge. I think though that people should at least post a screenshot of the time.

There are actually people that would lie about this just to see themselves on first place.

I know this forum is very grown-up compared to others, but still.

This is a good idea but why not just use rolling starts? That way its equal between all players. The thing with standing starts is that everyone will be starting from slightly different positions.

Because that's how Top Gear do their power laps...

Just bought the car just to do this challenge, didn't tinker and kept everything stock so that meant sports hard tyres. Got my time which was 1.18.976.

I've never really liked the GTR because although it's technically amazing, for me it just doesn't have any soul that I can connect with and that's what I look for in a car. Handling takes a bit of getting used to so I could control the understeer with lashings of oversteer to get the most out of the corners, hammerhead and chicago particularly.

how do we know someone hasnt upgraded the car and does a standing start and that the time is real at all?

is it just faith that people on the internet dont lie?

dont me to sound cynical just curious. sounds like a great idea though

As with the WRS, you need to have a way to verify the times are being set with accurate specs.

In the WRS, all podium places need to provide a replay of their lap within one week of the end of the competition. The replay is then verified by the other entrants. People who might want to cheat are easily identified as it's relatively easy to see cars which are pulling faster speeds at the end of the straights or who have significantly higher apex speeds.

It's also important that you set some rules as far as corner cutting goes.

Here's a link to the very last WRS event run on Prologue to give you some ideas of how to run a proper event...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132553

You'll see everything is set out in absolute clarity... no room for misinterpretation.

How do we do standing starts?

The way i do standing starts is pull up before the line and hold the handbrake while revving up the car.

I managed a 1.09.068 with my Subaru Impreza

Unfortunately, thats not this week's car! Check the bottom of the first post to find out which car we are setting the times for this week! I will make this clearer too.

I understand your concerns for standing starts, it is a bit of a toughie to figure out where to start from. But as someone mentioned before, this is how Top Gear do their Power Lap times, and i would like to keep it that way for consistency and so players can compare their times with The Stig's times.

Also, with people telling us their times and stuff, I completely trusting them to be mature enough to tell us no lies and not cheat (i.e. secretly using a boosted car). There are ways to tell, with ridiculous lap times compared to others. IF i find a lap time thats suspiciously fast, I will ask the player to post up an image of their car's time on the screen before you actually click the "start race". Along with this, i will also ask the user to post a screen shot of their car's BHP (found in the tuning set-up menu on the right hand side - above the graph.

So please, dont make me go to these lengths as it will be a rediculously long process and if you get caught out, well, it just wont be worth it!

Also, ill post up the times now.

On the right hand side of the track, just ahead of the start line is a little black strip of tar. I reckon line up with the end of that which is the farthest from the start line 'touching' the bottom of the traditional GT 'on board' view.

It's a shame that PD put the Top Gear test track in GT5 but forgot about the reasonably priced cars (Suzuki Liana and Chevrolet Lacetti), otherwise we could compare our time to the stars' times.

Don't forget the KIA CEE-apostrophe-D!

When you say "on-board" view, do you mean bumper cam? or hood cam?

My best this far with the GTR 07. Not the V-spec. still untuned and sports hard tires on.
is: 1.14.820.

I have saved the replay. so will upload it later.

Btw, cant you have cars that you can get from the arcade mode? becuse i didnt feel to spend money on a v-spec when there is a GTR 07 in arcade mode.

Sounds like it could be great fun if we do the replay verification. 1.16.3xx so far with out tuning. How do you change tire pressures?

Last edited:
Back