GTP_Cowboy
RacingCowboy570
Corvette Evolution GT, nominated by @Cowboy

2213882-untitled-2-png.655487

Release date: EU: May 26, 2006, US: October 11, 2006
Platform: PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo DS
Developer: Milestone
Genre: Racing

Corvette Evolution GT (known as Evolution GT in Europe) is a racing video game similar to Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano. In the career mode, the player has to build up his character's experience points that will allow him to develop his stats. Getting either a bronze, silver, or gold medal in all the events is mandatory for a "season" to become complete. The game uses the miles per hour system by default; the maximum speed of vehicle will either increase or decrease depending on the player's chosen talent (e.g., swiftness, test driver) and the concentration of different statistics.

Sponsors like Pepsi Max (the European version of Diet Pepsi Max), Erg (Edoardo Raffinerie Garrone; a petroleum company based out of Italy), and Bosch (a German-based automotive company) can be picked for the duration of the entire season in order to establish the player's livery; each livery offers different rewards for racing clean and/or fast. Most of these sponsors are European, indicating that this game was originally intended for a European audience of gamers. At the beginning of a new season, the player must sign with a new livery (as all contracts are only valid for a single season in the game). Other race car drivers will develop in a similar way to the player and will compete against the player in all levels (from rookie season to legend season). The choice of livery and the personality type of the computer opponent will determine whether the computer opponent will be aggressive, passive, intimidating, or more eager to overtake the competition.

corvette-evolution-gt-20061127020758648-000-jpg.655488
evolution_gt_1-jpg.655489
712657-930764_20060214_009-jpg.655490

A very underrated racing game that I had countless hours of fun with. Even though the C6 Corvette was poorly modeled, it still had simulation and whoever played it needed to make a strategy so that they could cross the line without being totaled.

This is this last game that I really have enough experience on to say something about it until my game gets polled... what can I say?

I had this game many years ago, however it was the Nintendo DS version, which I don't remember it being the same as the PC / PS2 versions above (At least I don't remember the max speed changing when you gained more experience). I believe the DS version also featured less cars.

Good parts of this game: the difficulty. Sometimes it actually felt like the AI gave you a challenge. At least for me (I was mostly like 7 when I was playing this game).

"Meh" parts of this game: the tracks and cars. On the DS version, the car list was smaller, and not only that, but one thing that annoyed me back when I was younger was the fact that all but one car was from 2005 (the only one being the TVR T350 if I'm not mistaken). And I'm sure the console version has a similar case.

The track list was good, with some nice city environments, but god they were annoying to race on sometimes. The worst ones I remember were like a German track with a hairpin turn similar to Grand Valley on Gran Turismo, plus some other turns that threw me off the track every time. The other was set in a field and had a city section about as tight as Citti di Aria from Gran Turismo 4 (ok not THAT tight but still). In fact, the only track I remember not being somewhat difficult was a track called Barcelona if I remember correctly?

The parts of this game which were bad, only because it was the DS version? Physics and graphics. God I remember physics on the DS version were quite annoying, especially when you hit another car, you would simply just bounce off it, with the other person not losing any of their speed. And the sound effect was quite annoying too. The graphics you would expect to be bad, because this is only the DS port. I've looked at the console screenshots above, and they actually look pretty good.

So a short car list, annoying tracks, yet a great challenge and good graphics. I'll give this game a C.

EDIT: Apparently I still have it, here's the cartridge:
IMG_20170706_142734179.jpg

Last edited:
Back