GTP WRS-Online : Event 16 : Split Window Splits - Dec 28

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 116 comments
Hehe, you don't have to worry about me mate. I tried WRS for about 2 hours and my splits aren't anywhere near yours.;)
Hopefully I can do a bit better in the race, other tyres maybe?:sly:

Hehe, you don't have to worry about me mate. I tried WRS for about 2 hours and my splits aren't anywhere near yours.;)
Hopefully I can do a bit better in the race, other tyres maybe?:sly:

Does that mean I'm actually doing well, not just that there's only me, Simon and Anastasis from D1? Who'd have thunk? 💡

Does that mean I'm actually doing well, not just that there's only me, Simon and Anastasis from D1? Who'd of thunk? 💡
I did.:)

GTP_Sutuki tried too and has problems matching your splits as well so you're really doing well.;)
But who am I to say that? I'm awful with these kind of combo's..

Did some tire wear testing and also read this. It would seem that R3s are still the quickest way around. But we might as well leave tires open, in case someone wants to try toughing it out on R1s; or someone who spins his tires few times too many in the penultimate stint and is forced to pit early can choose the safer tire option (say R2s) and avoid last lap heroics of driving it home on completely bald R3s.

Signed up for the EU race. Just gave the car a few laps and it's a pretty fun drive. BoB is now getting the miles in on it 👍

The OP has been updated with the following:

Laps: 25
Tires: Open, but all drivers must qualify and start on Racing Soft Tires (R3)

Notice: The stewards have discussed this and given the large grids this week we will not be allowing spectators in the lounge during the race or qualifying. Only registered drivers are allowed in the lounge to reduce network requirements. Anyone not participating can watch the race via Speedy's live feed at http://www.twitch.tv/speedy6543/

This rule will extend for all future weeks any time 12 or more drivers register for an event.

Hmm... shouldn't 25 laps fall well short of an hour? I just thought we aim for around an hour.

Unless you guys have tested it/ have a reason for it.

EDIT: What are the practice times btw?

Hmm... shouldn't 25 laps fall well short of an hour? I just thought we aim for around an hour.

Unless you guys have tested it/ have a reason for it.

EDIT: What are the practice times btw?

25 laps should take about 45-50 minutes to finish the race depending on pit stops.
That's pretty close to our usual times.

Practice times are basically whenever you'd like them to be - GTP_3D3Racing lobby is open everyday 👍
We will continue to have "official" practices Monday's at 8PM EST, and Wednesday Tuesday at 3PM EST.

So see you in about an hour :D
EDIT: And Thanks - sort of forgot today is Monday :lol:

Last edited:
25 laps should take about 45-50 minutes to finish the race depending on pit stops.
That's pretty close to our usual times.

Practice times are basically whenever you'd like them to be - GTP_3D3Racing lobby is open everyday 👍
We will continue to have "official" practices Monday's at 8PM EST, and Wednesday at 3PM EST.

So see you in about an hour :D
EDIT: And Thanks - sort of forgot today is Monday :lol:

You mean Tuesday 3PM? Haha you must've been out boxing day shopping all day.

Ill be there around 9, going out for dinner someplace fancy :).

You mean Tuesday 3PM? Haha you must've been out boxing day shopping all day.

Ill be there around 9, going out for dinner someplace fancy :).

The Boston Pizza @ Square One? :lol:

Yes, I meant Tuesday....No boxing day shopping for me, just a few trips to Niagara and back in the last few days coupled with waaaayyyy too much hockey last week kind of burned me out. 👍

Here is my setup for the car. The only thing I'm changing between online and offline is ride height.

Aero - Max

Gears
1. Set Final Drive to 5000
2. Set Top Speed to Far Left (124 MPH)
3. Change to the following ratios

Final 3040

Top Speed in top right = 210 MPH (Might have to adjust 6th slightly for the draft, but not much).

LSD 5/17/8

RH -25/-25 (Online setup. Offline = -23/-35)
Springs 11.0/7/5
Damp Ext 9/5
Damp Comp 9/5
ARB 7/3
Camber 2.5/1/1
Toe -0.15/-0.10

Brakes 9/10

EDK
Here is my setup for the car.
How intense/even is tire wear with this tune? I didn't tune offline, but I think online tune should explicitly target tire longevity. I have something tentative that can last about 7 (hopefully 8 if I reaaaally baby it, but still not enough to go for 2 stops on R3s) laps on R3s doing about ~1:40.XX for the first few laps and has pretty even wear, but it's in no way a final tune.

UPD: nevermind, just realized we're running Tokyo in reverse :P

Last edited:
How intense/even is tire wear with this tune? I didn't tune offline, but I think online tune should explicitly target tire longevity. I have something tentative that can last about 7 (hopefully 8 if I reaaaally baby it, but still not enough to go for 2 stops on R3s) laps on R3s doing about ~1:40.XX for the first few laps and has pretty even wear, but it's in no way a final tune.

I targeted making the car (relatively) easy to drive.

My testing for online was done on Racing Medium tires. I was cutting 1:40's on those.

My driving is fairly easy on tires, so I might not be the best tester in that regard. ;)

Can you pull off a one-stopper on R2s with your tune?

Dunno if you know, but you need to start on R3s first. So I'm guessing one-stopper with an R2 is a bit of a stretch.

The Boston Pizza @ Square One?

Haha nah been there enough times though. Went for Chinese today :)

Last edited:
Dunno if you know, but you need to start on R3s first. So I'm guessing one-stopper with an R2 is a bit of a stretch.
Think about that question as "do R2s last for 13 laps?".
Doesn't matter though, I cannot handle Kevin's tune anyways.

Can you pull off a one-stopper on R2s with your tune?

There won't be such a strategy anyhow, as we are requiring everyone to qualify and start on R3's.

15 drivers for EU... One more driver and we have our first full grid ever! 👍

Any notes or tips from those that made the practice session today? Some of us are going to be racing somewhat under-prepared and need all the help we can get.

I can run this week due to holidays (just the one week :grumpy:), so I'll give it a shot. It's even vaguely possible I could make the NA slot, but we'll see.

I'm happy to give up my spot for someone that actually submitted, however. PM if needed.

I will have to see how practice with the shiny new G27 I bribed and badgered Santa for (but it's on special, Santa!) goes - I don't want to be getting' the safety car out, and the wear on R3s is a hoot. Feels great until I get overconfident with the boot... I think I'll be flipping back and forth for a while, particularly until I find a better mounting point. The front of an ikea Poang on the floor is not exactly ergonomic.

And I had no idea we were waiting for pre, Marc :dopey:

Wear on the R3s is now truly horrifying. Don't try to go full speed on the out lap for quali, or your tires will already be down a fifth, IIRC. Could make the quali session tricky with spacing.

I only had time to try Praiano's tune, but can't compare it to anything. Felt Ok, but I was only getting 1'39s/40s in the few laps I was out there for.

Last edited:
Official Notice: Updated Qualifying Procedures

Given the large grids this week we are going to be splitting the grid into two groups for qualifying to alleviate traffic issues. Each driver will get two hot laps to post their fastest time.

Group A drivers will go first and Group B drivers will go second. See the driver registration post above for the group assignments in the final column of the table.

Drivers are responsible for knowing their group assignment and the following procedures.

Live Single Stint Pre-Race Group Qualifying:
  1. Once the track is reset at the start of the qualification session Group A drivers will enter the course together.
  2. Use the out-lap to manage space between cars. (If faster drivers go first the gap doesn't have to be very big.)
  3. Complete the out-lap plus 2 hot laps and then slow to cruising speed for the in-lap.
  4. When the last driver completes his final hot lap the host will announce that drivers are clear to exit.
  5. Hit start, exit directly to the pits and exit immediately to the lobby. Do not waste time completing the in-lap.
  6. When all drivers from Group A have left the track Group B will be repeat the above procedures.
  7. When Group B completes qualifi they will remain in the pits and all Group A drivers will re-enter the pits.
  8. At this point all drivers must stay in the pits and should not enter the course.
  9. The host will start the Race Countdown Timer to end qualifying and start the race.

Notes:
  • Drivers must qualify and start the race on Racing Soft Tires (R3).
  • After qualifying drivers are NOT allowed to enter the tuning area or change setups.
  • The following drivers will be responsible for writing down the fast lap times of the other group using the live timing monitor of the "watch race" function.

EU: WRP001 (Group A), Gravitron (Group B)
    NA: WRP001 (Group A), Gravitron (Group B)​
  • Laps are not being "officially" observed or verified. No penalties will be applied for wall touches, etc.
  • While any driver is hot lapping keep chat and mic silence. Try to arrive on time so drivers don't have to see your enter message during their hot laps.

Last edited:
I just might show up in the EU race if the grid isn't filled by the time of the race. :mischievous:

You can expect me to show up in the practice today. (And spin around + hug the walls)

I just might show up in the EU race if the grid isn't filled by the time of the race. :mischievous:

You can expect me to show up in the practice today. (And spin around + hug the walls)

The EU grid is actually already full, but normally there are cancellations so keep an eye on the thread. I'll put you down for Eu and you'll be on the auto-waiting list if anyone cancels.

If anyone can't make the EU race please use the registration form to officially cancel your entry.

EDIT: I updated the registration table to show 2 waiting list spots. Any driver on the waiting list will automatically move up from the waiting list if another driver cancels using the form. To enable this I had to sort the table by registration time (first come first serve).

Last edited:
15 drivers for EU... One more driver and we have our first full grid ever! 👍

Any notes or tips from those that made the practice session today? Some of us are going to be racing somewhat under-prepared and need all the help we can get.

Welcome back!

Tire wear seems to be the main issue here. The tires do 5, 9, and 13 laps. If you start a lap and your tire indicator runs out you're screwed because there is no chance you're making it back to the pits.

This car likes to be pushed in the corners. Get on the gas early, if you coast through the corners you will end up losing valuable lap time. But getting on the gas early takes it out of your tires, so you've somehow got to find a middle ground between the two.

I didn't get to practice much, but still. I can stretch R3s for 7 laps if I don't push too hard. Still have to test if I can last 11 laps on R2s, so then I'll shoot for 2 stints on R3s and one on R2s.
My tune targets safety and tire preservation and even wear over anything else. So it understeers like there's no tomorrow (at least until you spin rear tires twice or more, which I will inevitable do at some point in race). Basically I looked through Dom's tune thread and tried to set everything to a setting he implied to maximize tire longevity.
Off memory right now:
I used Kevin's gears,
Max ride height front and a little lower in the rear to get it to rotate a bit (like 3 lower).
Minimum spring rate
Shock rebound 2/8
Shock compression 8/2 (basically for fast weight transfer to the rear on acceleration, I might have this wrong though)
Camber 2.8/0
Toe -.5/0
BB 6/0(these last three get me even wear front/rear)
Roll bars to minimum
Don't recall LSD, smth like 7/11/5. I'm yet to experiment with diff settings.

I'm yet to try pushing hard with this tune to see if it's worth to kill the tires in 5 laps and pit 4 times. Hope it's useful to someone.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back