GTP WRS-Online : Event 16 : Split Window Splits - Dec 28

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 116 comments
Can't feel any difference between stock and custom rims. Didn't seem to affect my lap times or tyre wear either. My money is on "Its just cosmetic"

Thanks for checking. 👍

If anyone feels differently about it, my money is on "It's a Placebo" ;)

Incredibly frustrating how dumb this game is, 15/16 people in the room yet I must have tried 20+ times to get in, every time the message being "room full". Surely it is simple logic when there is 1 spot open in the room, for it to say it is full is just mind-blowing. A year on and PD still haven't fixed issues like this? What a mess. They really need to start learning from other gaming companies if they want to actually to make an online component that actually works. I know my connection isn't exactly the bees knees, but I have absolutely none of the problems I have in GT5 on any other game, even when another game has more players and more things going on on-screen. Just no excuse for this.

sorry had to bail out guys,

Had a perfect qualification but when the race started my car seems to be witched.
Was all over the place,tried a early stop to see if I had the right tires,which I had,RS.

Completely blown my mind what happened,it feels if i had comfort tires :dopey:
Never experienced it before,lag?

sorry had to bail out guys,

Had a perfect qualification but when the race started my car seems to be witched.
Was all over the place,tried a early stop to see if I had the right tires,which I had,RS.

Possible that you mistakenly went in with your offline setup, rather than online? I've had it feel like that before when making that mistake.

Thanks for the race, not sure where I finished, it says 5th for me but there was also only 10 people showing up on the results, so yeah.

I did 3 stops, R1, R1 then R3s on lap 23.

I experienced about the same thing.
The car felt totally different in the race than in practice. :confused:
To get a good setup now, I have the feeling you need to do races rather than just practice online...

I have to apologize to Chuk.
Coming out of a turn I oversteered and hit you, causing you to go headfirst against the wall.
I did look in my mirror but didn't notice you were off so bad. Otherwise I would've waited. Sorry mate.
You did finish in front of me. :sly:

Watched Speedy's replay. Definitely a case of 'phantom lag'. Happens with 12+ drivers. Usually to 2+ drivers. Gets a hair better later in the race, but never really goes away. Anyway - what was gooner's pit strategy?

Results from EU posted.

event16_res_eu.png

Here was the results of qualification:

event16_eu_quali.jpg

Change of plans guys. I won't make the race tonight.

Have a great race.

Live feed is going up ~on the hour.
Signature is already updated.

Hope me dropping out didn't mess with anyone. Figured being in last and then seeing the room lights flicker was a sign...

Both the EU race and the NA race, there was a definite difference for me between quali and the race, but hard to pinpoint. Apologies to anyone I hit, there was a lot of cars jumping to different positions around lap 1 turn 1...

Thanks as always to Marc and Tim for hosting all day! 👍
Congrats to gooners earlier, and to whoever is about to win the NA (I should go check the stream, power seems back to normal...)

Was good racing you guys again! 👍
As every week my NA race went better than my EU race. :)

Congratz Wes!

Will post the full results shortly, but here is the qualifying results:

event16_na_quali.jpg

Wes ran a lap 0.013 faster than the pole lap in the EU race by Chris, but I think Chris had some traffic issues in the NA qualifying.

Pretty poor race for me, barely broke out of 1:42 once or twice. Hope M3 race next week goes better.
Thanks guys for hosting, other than my pace everything went smoothly and professionally, as usual.

Thanks guys! And as someone suggested, I wasn't running a turbo (I did check the replay for that though :lol:).

I made some last minute plans to go out, but I couldn't let you guys know since both the forums and the PM system were down.

Congrats Wes for the NA win 👍.

Not that it matters now Dan, but I ran a 3 stopper on R3/R3/R2/R2 on laps 5, 11, and 18.

mohitraina91
Thanks guys! And as someone suggested, I wasn't running a turbo (I did check the replay for that though :lol:).

I made some last minute plans to go out, but I couldn't let you guys know since both the forums and the PM system were down.

Congrats Wes for the NA win 👍.

Not that it matters now Dan, but I ran a 3 stopper on R3/R3/R2/R2 on laps 5, 11, and 18.

You get a pass on the no show given the forums were down. In the future as a backup you can send a message to one of us on PSN with the PS3.

I watched your replay a bit this afternoon and I learned a few things for NA. I planned to do the same strategy for pits, but my soft tires lasted longer than expected so used R3 the entire race pitting on 6/13/19.

Had one spin trying to pass lap traffic and held in pits forever on lap 19 (either for speeding or because other cars were pitting), but I wasn't catching Wes anyway. Was lucky to get 2nd as I was 3rd the majority of the race until passing Chris on the last corner... He had damage or no tread... Not sure which.

Had a few passes with Kevin, but we were always on different tires so I had the advantage (soft vs mediums). One pass on speedy lap 2 and the rest by myself or with lap traffic.

Wes and Chris were ahead of me by 15 secs after 2 laps.

Watched Speedy's replay. Definitely a case of 'phantom lag'. Happens with 12+ drivers. Usually to 2+ drivers. Gets a hair better later in the race, but never really goes away.

GTP_don suffered from the same situation,on to 10 sec slower laptimes then normal.

To bad because I was on a "mission" :mischievous:,practised 4 complete races in my online room,tried all kind of setups all week.
Goal was to qualify the best I could,survive the first corner and stick to known laptimes and pitstops and with some luck sneak into a podium.:sly:

Another fun night's racing with you guys. Many thanks to Marc, Tim and Lucas. :)

Congratulations to gooners and Wes for the wins. Great driving and strategy guys 👍 To be honest I thought I'd have it in the bag after my qualifying time :sly: but......

....I have to say they've spiced things up with the new tyre wear... much better if a little excessive. Kind of reminds me of how the F1 drivers summed up the Pirellis this year. They seem ok and then suddenly fall off a cliff grip-wise. One spin or too much heat in a few corners and they're on the way out. A good challenge keeping them in good shape for a whole stint....

The EU race I think I didn't push quite hard enough trying to save my tyres but also had a couple of careless spins (includng my reverse button getting stuck down after one spin in turn 1 on lap 10 I think) Gooners just went flat out and drove very consistently - nice one mate 👍

The NA race I just pushed the R2s a little too much and 11 laps was one lap too many for them. When you passed me Tim, I literally had nothing left on the rears (as in the tyre indicator was at zero :P) Quite pleased with pace and distance on the R3s though - me and Wes got 7 laps out of them and at a decent pace too.

Wes, you certainly upped your game between the EU and NA race - great qualy lap on the NA 👍 And a nice win too.

One more observation - I realise it can be tricky to keep a good pace and keep an eye on who's behind you but I had a few occasions where I was lapping someone and they carried on trying to race me.... blocking the racing line etc. Even a couple of occasions where I'd passed them already and they still tried to re-pass me. That's bad form and maybe some of us need to brush up on our race etiquette ;)

All in all, another great 3D3 night. Many thanks you guys. :cheers:

EU race:
Didn't know what happened as the drivers list put me in 10th place (qualified 4th). I was on 4th place after watching the race but I didn't know that.. So I thought a formation lap was in place. So I did a very slow start and didn't know what was happening.. I bumped into Ren in the first corner - lost concentration..
Luckily I think he didn't even lose a place with it..
From there on the race was just about surviving. When I saw Chris right behind me after his first pitstop I knew I wasn't going for the podium.. My laptimes were slow but I thought that was the case for everyone as I didn't make big mistakes. I ended up in 4th place but 2'02.XXX behind the leader.:ill:
It could be because of the 1-stopper or the lag but this race didn't go too well..

NA race:
After the EU race I knew for sure I was going to participate in the NA race. I changed my set-up and my tactic completely and was ready for the race. I bettered my previous qualification lap by 9 tenths(!) and ended up on pole position. I knew what to do at the start and still first after the first corner. After Chris got to 2nd place it was a battle between us 2 for first place. The gap went from 3.5 to 5 seconds when we entered the pits for the first time. But then the pitcrew decided to hold me up (guess Chris paid them to do that :sly:).. and I ended up 3 seconds behind Chris.. He went for softs and me to mediums so I couldn't close the gap. The gap grew to 5.5 seconds when Chris did his second stop for mediums. I had to push the tyres to keep up with Chris so pitted quite early for mediums again. Only for the pitcrew to do the same again. Then saw the gap was 21 seconds to Chris and I thought I lost so I just put in some fast, clean laps. The gap went from 21 to 20 to 19 and then to 5.5 seconds in one lap.. I then pushed to catch up to Chris and it looked like he pushed the tyres too much as his pace was quite a lot slower. Then it was fairly straightforward with Tim even taking over Chris for second place.

One more observation - I realise it can be tricky to keep a good pace and keep an eye on who's behind you but I had a few occasions where I was lapping someone and they carried on trying to race me.... blocking the racing line etc. Even a couple of occasions where I'd passed them already and they still tried to re-pass me. That's bad form and maybe some of us need to brush up on our race etiquette ;)
I also noticed this. It's not like it messed up my race but it was quite tricky sometimes.

But 2 interesting races. I learned from the first race and could put that to the test in the second race. Thank you all for a fun evening.👍

Race Report:
I went into the EU race pretty confident of a decent finish. That is because my car was easy to drive and excellent on tires. When I qualified sixth, my focus was to get through the first corner and then do a two-pit strategy. Then Speedy and I had an accident and I got caught up on the wall, and then waited for the field to finish crashing into me. That put me in last place on the first lap. (No apologies needed, Speedy, but thank you. :cheers: These things happen.) I was pleased with the rest of the race, as I came back to finish sixth. All in all, a decent race for me, and with a little luck I could have been in the top five. :)
The NA race started the same way. I qualified number eight, and had a good start. As I was ending the first stint, I realized that the changes I made didn't really help at all. (I did change it from the set-up I gave you during practice, Speedy, but not enough to take out the "twitchiness" in the rear, as becomes clear.) I was running alone and getting ready to pit when I just lost concentration and spun out. As I tried to straighten out, traffic caught up to me, making a bad situation worse. I had NO tire wear left, and could barely keep it straight at 40 MPH, when the leaders came by. I did my best to stay out of the way, but now I was over a lap down and my race was effectively over. The rest of the race I sat back and enjoyed the throaty sound of the engine in this beast, a small consolation. :ill:
Overall, another great week of racing!! Thank you to the admins for a great job!! :cheers:

The NA race I just pushed the R2s a little too much and 11 laps was one lap too many for them. When you passed me Tim, I literally had nothing left on the rears (as in the tyre indicator was at zero :P)

I almost thought about pushing you to the finish as I wasn't sure if it was engine damage or something. I really had no business finishing 2nd as you and Wes were "out of my league" and was very happy with a podium finish given that I didn't even own the car until 12 hours before the EU race.

This new tire model is sure interesting. And having people on different compounds also makes lapping more "interesting" and actually gives the slower half the pack faster laps at time than the front runners (e.g. slower guys on new soft tires).

IMO, it's legit for a lapped car to take a position from a lead lap car if he catches the lead lap car and thus shows consistently better pace (because the lead lap car is having issues or on old tires) and if the lapped car can do so safely. However, if the lead lap car catches a lapped car, the blue flag is in order and the lapped car should not put up a fight or attempt a re-pass.

There was a lot more lapped traffic given the tires and the track and the fact that the car was just tough to handle. We have some inexperienced drivers and they'll learn. I myself didn't even know how to check who someone was coming up behind as my mirror doesn't show the names. But learned yesterday you flick to rear view and the name shows... :dunce:

I got lapped by gooners in the EU race near the end and didn't know it was him, but he was so fast that I knew it was someone who I shouldn't be holding up so I didn't put up a fight. :sly:

The NA race started the same way. I qualified number eight, and had a good start. As I was ending the first stint, I realized that the changes I made didn't really help at all. (I did change it from the set-up I gave you during practice, Speedy, but not enough to take out the "twitchiness" in the rear, as becomes clear.) I was running alone and getting ready to pit when I just lost concentration and spun out. As I tried to straighten out, traffic caught up to me, making a bad situation worse. I had NO tire wear left, and could barely keep it straight at 40 MPH, when the leaders came by. I did my best to stay out of the way, but now I was over a lap down and my race was effectively over. The rest of the race I sat back and enjoyed the throaty sound of the engine in this beast, a small consolation. :ill:
Overall, another great week of racing!! Thank you to the admins for a great job!! :cheers:

It was good starting the race with you last night, Chuk. I knew you had more general pace than me, so after a couple minor errors, I decided to make it easy for you to go by and then worked to maintain your pace.

Unfortunately, I think we were both a bit victimized by your spin, but after watching the replay, it's clear to me that a combination of shot tires compounded by severe wheel spin when attempting to recover caused the issues. If only you could modulate that darn reverse gear. :sly: The one comment I would have for you is something I learned when praticing on severely worn softs. Once you got going forward, you would have been a lot better off putting the car in 5th gear right off and limping it to the pits. Leaving it in 1st probably did as much to cause your spins after that as anything. Hindsight is 20/20, but this is something for everyone to keep in mind with the new tire model.

I was on a 2 stop strategy, with my car setup to run on Mediums, which are actually the tire I set my fastest lap on. Due to the incident with Chuk on lap 6, my rears ended up taking a bit of a beating and I had to come in a lap earlier than planned, meaning I had to stretch my second stint on Mediums to 10 laps. A couple of my minor mistakes with braking points, etc. were actually made while I was trying to work out a revised pit strategy on the fly. :ouch:

On the 10 lap stint, my tires were down to probably 20% in a rear by the end of lap 24, which is when I came around the final corner behind Alibubba, put it into the outer barrier, and just had to mash the brakes to avoid a spin. I knew I had a car right behind, and I thought it was Speedy (for position), and that's the reason I yelled 🤬 , not because Al also had a small crash of his own into the left barrier in front of me. :lol:

My overall strategy was consistent laps, 2 stopper, with even wear on both the soft and medium tires. I managed to keep the car pointed in the forward direction the whole race, and am happy with my 4th, although it looks like with slightly better execution (fewer mistakes), I might have been able to challenge for a podium. Alas, I guess that's what next week is for. ;)

Thanks for the great race, guys. 👍

:cheers:
Kevin

I think I should have stayed with your tranny, Kevin. I think it was easier to drive, and easier on the tires. I'll keep that in mind on 5th gear!! 👍

Back