GTP WRS-Online : Event 17 : An M3 on S3's at GVE - Jan 4

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 209 comments
After watching the replays, I see that it was Lucas I ran into at turn 2 on the first lap, because of my sloppy driving. Very sorry, mate. I had no idea who I had hit and where they were after the hit, so I let a couple of people pass me thinking it was one of them, but no... you were left at the very back, so sorry once again.

I'll have to learn to be a little less excited in the middle of traffic, especially at the beginning of a race!

During the second race, I lost control at some point, and Dale almost hit me... I didn't see you coming at all, and I thought that my careless manoeuvre to get back on track had put my car right in your path, but looking at the replay, I could see that I actually got out of your way in the nick o'time! :dopey:

Anyway, it was quite a bit of fun even though I wish there were more racers around the same level as mine, it would make it a bit more exciting.

Thanks to all who put in the time and effort to organize these races!

@segovia, Thanks for the apology, I can tell you mean it, as I've watched the replay too. 👍 You did indeed slow down afterward, and being in the middle of 5+ cars around a turn like turn 2 IS HARD! :scared::lol: Catching back up is something I've got tons of practice on. :dunce: It's the staying ahead part that needs work.

@Kevin, awesome close racing with you tonight, you clearly had the pace on me. Shown doubly by your f-a-s-t WRS time last week. 👍

@Jon: Thanks for watching the stream and "virtually" cheering. 👍 Wish I'd had your T3 from last week. :lol: I'd like to do some pics from these great races, so many worthy moments, and I only saw a small part of the racing from my POV...

That's too bad you had those problems Dave.
We had a few pit bugs in our second race as well, but not that bad.

With respect to tire choice / availability, the room can only be set to restrict tire selection, but not eliminate choices.
So if the room is set to Sport Soft - those tires are the best tires you can select.
It does not prevent you from selecting tires that will make you slower though, so it's very important to check your race options before entering the track.

See you again next time 👍
Edit: you can't type "pit, or pitstop" in the GT5 chat. It's too close to 🤬 for the PSN ;)
You also can't type "Tsukuba" :lol: It's a picky system.

Thanks for that, I didn't quite realise that's how the tyre thing worked, where would I have checked my tyre selection? (for future issues) As I did try to click on settings but nothing would open up!

I noticed that when you moved to the other room and the owner changed in our room that connection issues seemed to start then, it's as if some connections cannot cope with all cars being in the same area on track at once, didn't help being on S1's of course but it did feel like my car was responding a split second after my inputs, once the pack cleared out things settled down again.

Must say thanks though for the effort to arrange and host this kind of thing, standard of racing is very high and it's organised well too. Compared to the open lobby type racing this is truly professional. 👍

Are there any photos / videos from the events?

Dave

Apologies for the trouble I caused you, I overslept. Congrats to Chuk, Tim and Jake for the other wins.:cheers:

We thought so...
Happened to me too a couple of weeks back. :)
It is quite early for us, isn't it?

Here's why you should brake before entering the pits...
Watch very carefully, I've added a lot of annotations.

If you don't (or not enough), you'll lose six seconds!

Nice video Kristof.👍

I also had this penalty twice in Tokyo. Now I know why.:dopey:

I think I've had this penalty every time I race online, just thought it was a bug or something, now I know.

Weird thing about this penalty (or maybe my research is outdated) is that it happens not 100% of the time.

@Kevin, awesome close racing with you tonight, you clearly had the pace on me. Shown doubly by your f-a-s-t WRS time last week. 👍

Yeah, seems I even had fast lap in the race. We had some great battling, and I also had some great battles with Speedy. 👍 I do remember one time when I had to take aggressive aversion maneuvers around Speedy in turn 2 to avoid a spin. My mic had given up by then, so I hope you didn't misinterpret my maneuver.

Unfortunately, I got the black screen thing at race start, and that was right after being booted from the lounge and just making it back in on time for the race. I still took the time to adjust my brake balance, as I knew from the lounge practice that running with stock BB was not going to be the way to go. So I was down 11 seconds to the leader by T1, even thought I started in second.

Ironically, I struggled with managing my tires, as I was pushing the car due to the starting disadvantage. Plus, the battling and a couple of mistakes cost me more time and tires.

Even weirder is that Hydro was showing behind me from the start of lap 2 through the end, and I showed at the end I finished in 4th, until the positions came up on the HUD.

Goofy stuff, but still fun. As I said in the other thread, looking forward to a track/car combo next week that will allow more than 1 (very difficult) overtaking opportunity per lap. ;)

BTW, big props to my friend Jake on 2nd in the EU race and the win here. Great consistency. I know this track is one of your faves, as is next week's. Show us your stuff. :)

EDK
... and I also had some great battles with Speedy. 👍 I do remember one time when I had to take aggressive aversion maneuvers around Speedy in turn 2 to avoid a spin. My mic had given up by then, so I hope you didn't misinterpret my maneuver.

Not at all kevin.
That's racing! Great racing... :)

I have watched both my replays,great race from everybody 👍

It also showed I was not the fastest on track and more a driving roadblock for others.:scared:
After seeing the pass speedy made on me,which made me a bit grumpy for a second, was pure legit.👍
It was more the disappointment from my side I think and I really have to learn to step over such minor details. Which btw I did after 2 corners but still....

Many thanks to Tim,Lucas and Marc.:cheers:
You guys have made WRS online racing so much fun,can not wait for next week.
The threads,the results,the communication, the hosting ... truly professional but stil in a very friendly environment .

hats off guys,hats off.:bowdown:

Race Report:
The EU Sprint race was a learning experience for sure. I didn't know my brake balance would reset when the race started, so when the green flag dropped I was fumbling with my controller! The whole first lap was a disaster, and it wasn't until I hit the front straight that I finally fixed it. I was still hopeful of making the A feature, though, as I only needed fifth place. A couple of people went off track, and I could see fifth place (Speedy) up ahead, but I couldn't gain any time and ended up slamming the tunnel for pushing so hard! :ouch:
While everything went wrong in the sprint race, everything went right for me in the B feature. I had my brake balance set before the start, and settled in nicely behind Lucas and Marc. Marc pitted on lap 16, while Lucas and I headed for the pits on lap 18. Heading into the pits, I saw Lucas' car slow down. When I left the pits, he didn't. Now we know why! Marc and I had some great racing for many laps, as I waited for his tires to expire. With just a few laps to go, I made a run at the end of the straight, and Marc graciously and deftly let me complete it before the exit of turn 2.👍:)

The NA Sprint went just fine. I was ready for the start, and was comfortable to race in third behind Kevin 👍 and Marc 👍(Again!) There was no way I could make a pass on either one of them without endangering us all, and the reason they were ahead of me is because they were faster! :cheers:
The feature race saw me starting sixth, and it never got any better. I spun out on lap 8, all by myself, just daydreaming. The rest of the race was just a drive, watching Jake fly! 👍

All in all, four races: 1 win, 1 third, and two poops. :sly:Another great week of racing! :cool:
Many thanks to Marc, Lucas and Tim for working so hard to give us an excellent set of races!!! :cheers:

I wish i could participate. The race video’s where awesome 👍 Shame Chris you had some accidents. Clipping a tiny bit of the grass on the exit is enough for :ouch:

Is anyone up for some races next Saturday night?

Somewhere between 7pm and 10pm U.K time

All in all, four races: 1 win, 1 third, and two poops. :sly:Another great week of racing! :cool:

Your summary made me think about putting together a summary table of results. Here's the first which is a winners summary:

event17_res_summary.png

I never congratulated Kevin on the Sprint win. 👍 Not surprising Wes had the fasted time across all the features with his no stop wonder run. Jake had the fastest sprint performance. All things considered the times were pretty close.

Interesting, but not surprising that the pole sitter won most of the races even with the longer races and pits. Was great racing, but passing was probably more difficult than any combo we've run online to date. Even more so than Monaco.

I wish i could participate. The race video’s where awesome 👍 Shame Chris you had some accidents. Clipping a tiny bit of the grass on the exit is enough for :ouch:

Is anyone up for some races next Saturday night?

Somewhere between 7pm and 10pm U.K time

Hopefully some people can join you. We are running a special event on the 28th of January which is on a Saturday. It's currently scheduled to start at 18:00 GMT, but we may move it back an hour. Sign up if you are interested here.

event17_res_summary.png

I never congratulated Kevin on the Sprint win. 👍 Not surprising Wes had the fasted time across all the features with his no stop wonder run. Jake had the fastest sprint performance. All things considered the times were pretty close.

Interesting, but not surprising that the pole sitter won most of the races even with the longer races and pits. Was great racing, but passing was probably more difficult than any combo we've run online to date. Even more so than Monaco.

Thanks. :) My start in that race was the opposite of the feature. I had plenty of time to adjust BB on the grid, and got a great launch, putting me in first running into turn 1.

I have the replay, so should be able to grab a fast lap for you to add to the table as well. It was around 1:08.5, IIRC.

I picked the combo, so this is by no means a complaint, more of an observation. But I have to agree that overtaking was extremely difficult in this particular event, due to the fact that the best opportunity was into a high speed, trail braking corner. If you could not get a sufficient run and resulting draft out of the last turn to establish overlap by the braking point, forget about it. And once the tires were worn, it was nearly impossible to make a move stick.

But that's a problem that happens in all forms of racing. Changing it up helps us appreciate the weeks that allow for plenty of opportunities all across the lap.

EDK
I have the replay, so should be able to grab a fast lap for you to add to the table as well. It was around 1:08.5, IIRC.

We have a full database of the results from *all* our events back to week 1. It's just those fast laps for the NA sprint B have not been filled in. I can give you access to the google database or if we can wait for Marc or Lucas to update.

EDK

You underestimate yourself. Your fast lap was 1:08.360! Lucas put in the rest of the data and the images above will update as soon as the photobucket or GTPlanet image cache refreshes.

Hopefully some people can join you. We are running a special event on the 28th of January which is on a Saturday. It's currently scheduled to start at 18:00 GMT, but we may move it back an hour. Sign up if you are interested here.

I hope so too. With the idea of running week 46 WRS tomorrow I don’t mean to interfere the race on the 28th.

If it’s a track I like I will defiantly will join WRS that week. Already tried the Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2. It is a really nice car to drive. Maybe I will even try to participate in the race on the 28th.

As we've seen some people asking for a saturday race.
I created this thread to see how many people would be up for it.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=238540

I see you take it real serious. I haven’t seen any other requests for racing on Saturdays, because I never look at this threads but off course I believe you when you say that there are more requests. And the time you are talking about is too late for me to start. I also won’t participate every Saturday because I won’t participate every WRS. The concept of racing a WRS online is a good idea. All the practice laps during the WRS, is a benefit for good online racing.

I just wanted to get together with some of you guys for some racing. Off course following the OLR rules. Clean and fair racing for anyone who wants to join in. You also don’t have to race that exact time frame. That is the time frame I will be online. If you want join, join. If you want to join part of it, that’s fine too. If you want to take a break and skip a race, fine no problem.

So who is in for some racing?

If it’s a track I like I will defiantly will join WRS that week. Already tried the Alfa Romeo GIULIA TZ2. It is a really nice car to drive. Maybe I will even try to participate in the race on the 28th.

Tune in on the 15th when we reveal the track. I don't know if you like it or not, but I do, which is not surprising as I helped to pick it! :sly:

Here's a highlights video of the EU sprint and feature races.
Enjoy...

Last edited:
Speedy I pirated your front page post and made it a race higlights post since it's on the first page. That way if someone is looking over this later they won't have to go far to see the highlights.

^Thanks Tim.

Whoever wants to have another go in the M3, I set up the GTP_3D3Racing lounge...

We may have to re-visit races occasionally.
We ran 42 laps in the beemer, and had a blast (again).
The occasional wait for everyone to catch up, but mostly just more close racing. - And an absolutely incredible pass by MadMax going into turn 1 - Still not sure how you pulled it off without contact or going off track :bowdown:
Crazy Pekka !!!!!

MadMax, Speedy, Hydro, Hasslemoff.
Great way to spend an hour guys 👍

Hydro
The occasional wait for everyone to catch up, but mostly just more close racing. - And an absolutely incredible pass by MadMax going into turn 1 - Still not sure how you pulled it off without contact or going off track :bowdown:
Crazy Pekka !!!!!

Schedule a special GP/f - DTM retread race and I may just have to clear my schedule.

We should retread TMR at some point. I think there are only 4 of us that raced the inaugural 3d3 race and still race regularly.

Crazy Pekka !!!!!

I'm totally jealous that I wasn't there!!
drool.gif

But I do have to work some time, and that's what I was doing. Speaking of work, my practice time this week will be limited. I got a job painting the interior of a house for this week. Besides practice time, how is that relevant to racing? Because this is the job that pays for my new G27!!!
dancing-1.gif

It is finally time to leave the DFP behind. If all goes perfect, Jake and I will have it up and running for the ORCA/WRS race on January 28th!

Racing and waiting for my new wheel!!

By the way, I'll race anywhere, anytime, ... when I'm not working or sleeping!

Back