GTP WRS-Online : Event 17 : An M3 on S3's at GVE - Jan 4

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 209 comments
I think of the difference between low and real grip level as this: with low level, you really don't lose any grip until half of your tire is over the boundary, and you become used to that. With real grip, if only one third of your tire is over the boundary, you lose 30% of your grip on that tire sooner than what you're used to. If you stay on the tarmac, it's not really any different.

When driving with real grip there's a habit to pick-up - don't give it full gas (gradually lift when you see you're gonna touch the grass with 1-2 wheels) or sharp steering inputs. Do otherwise and you'll spin. This habit will really hurt you in offline WRS though ;)

I think it's just curbing, grass and dirt that's impacted. Not the track near the edge as far as I know.

I think that's right also.

I find the taller curbs to be a bigger factor, those you might normally use as a back stop of sorts. In this case, getting on full or near full throttle at apex would have been the issue, just don't apex all the way to the curb.

I don't think curbing is affected by grip real/low setting, just once you leave paved surface.
I could be wrong of course.

The biggest difference in my opinion, is returning to track after an off, with grip on low you have full grip the second you hit pavement, with grip on real you have to be careful(drive slow) for 5-10 seconds.

It looks like I probably won't be able to make the EU race. I'll be there for the NA race, though.

Guys, I hate to do this at the last minute, but I'm gonna have to pull out tonight's race. I came down with a fever last night, got very little sleep, and the last few hours developped headache and a sore throat. Nothing too serious off course, but not feeling too hot, my mind is just not in the right place for racing at the moment. :indiff::nervous:

I guess I'd better turn in early tonight. :guilty:

Sorry guys...

That's a shame, Bart! I hope you get better soon!

I just found out about these wrs online events. I kind of lost track of this part of the forum after the OMRS became less busy. What a well organised system with the driver registration and stats!

Anyway I registrated myself on the PSN in the system and I'd love to drive tonight if I'm not too late? The EU race I mean ;)

I don't think curbing is affected by grip real/low setting, just once you leave paved surface.
I could be wrong of course.

It might be more of an online physics than a real grip thing. But I have noticed there are certain corners on certain tracks that you want to avoid a really tight line with. They tend to be heavily cambered, tight corners. You can get away with one thing offline, with Grip Reduction set to low. But online, with real, there's a much greater tendency to spin.

The left "hairpin" after T3 at Trial Mountain, the corner in question here, and the corner exits with high curbing at the Nurb GP tracks come to mind.

That's a shame, Bart! I hope you get better soon!

I just found out about these wrs online events. I kind of lost track of this part of the forum after the OMRS became less busy. What a well organised system with the driver registration and stats!

Anyway I registrated myself on the PSN in the system and I'd love to drive tonight if I'm not too late? The EU race I mean

Will be great if we can fit you in. Nice to see you in here. 👍

PASM
Anyway I registrated myself on the PSN in the system and I'd love to drive tonight if I'm not too late? The EU race I mean ;)

You are in. I'll get you in the grid on the registration post when I get on my pc. Make sure you read the start procedures above by hydro as we are using preset grid order based on the time trial/handicap.

UPDATE:

@PASM: I processed your submission and you are now in the drivers grid post on the front page. I also accepted your friend requests from both 3D3 lounges. So you are set to go. You did not submit to WRS this past week so you will start behind those that did submit based on your current handicap.

@ALL: Check the grid again one hour before the race in case there are additional last minute changes due to cancellations or new additions. The hosts (Hydro and I) will post on this thread when the respective lounges are open and ready for practice, which will be approximately one hour before the start of the event. Please join practice only for the lounge you are assigned for the sprint race.

@MilleRSVR, Allibubba99: I noticed you guys were not on the PSN friends list of GTP_3D3_B so I sent you a friend request. Make sure you respond before the NA race start today.

Last edited:
@MilleRSVR, Allibubba99: I noticed you guys were not on the PSN friends list of GTP_3D3_B so I sent you a friend request. Make sure you respond before the NA race start today.

Will do!
Thanks!

Al

Thanks WRP001! I'm looking forward to the race.

You guys aren't making it easy to manage these brackets so they are even. I'm just going to wait an hour and update them once in case there are any more changes.

You also still have Dan signed up for NA, and I think he said he can't make it. :(

Arg. I did miss that and he didn't cancel with the form.

Please us the sign up form to cancel. I get a notification when you do that.

We are at 16 for the NA grid, but considering the network issues with large grids and the difficulty in passing we'll stay with the brackets unless we get down to 14 at which point we'll switch to a single room system.

The driver grids are updated on the front page. I'll have to automate the "leveling" of the brackets next time we do brackets so it's all automatic like it is for a single grid.

Last edited:
Arg. I did miss that and he didn't cancel with the form.

Please us the sign up form to cancel. I get a notification when you do that.
Sorry, I didn't read the whole 'cancellation' paragraph.
Done.

Sorry for short notice but I got a call and have to leave home. Ill sign off with the form

Sorry guys, can't do EU after all. :( It's slightly possible I'll make it back in time, but I doubt it.

I know that adds to the bracket issues, I'm still good for tonight's race though. :)

Edit: I think I canceled properly, not sure if that means I should re-register for NA race though?

EDK
It might be more of an online physics than a real grip thing. But I have noticed there are certain corners on certain tracks that you want to avoid a really tight line with. They tend to be heavily cambered, tight corners. You can get away with one thing offline, with Grip Reduction set to low. But online, with real, there's a much greater tendency to spin.

The left "hairpin" after T3 at Trial Mountain, the corner in question here, and the corner exits with high curbing at the Nurb GP tracks come to mind.
I'm pretty sure it's an online thing, I haven't done much offline with grip reduction set to real, so I guess that'd be the easy way to try it out.
The second half of Laguna Seca comes to mind for being very different.

Really hope I can see Wes today, been itching to have a real battle with him since he pipped me to the line at Suzuka, and I'm sat right behind him. Should be fun :D

I'm having some HDMI issues, the TV may stop working any moment, I'll just press the pause button in order not to crash anyone

Sorry guys, can't do EU after all. :( It's slightly possible I'll make it back in time, but I doubt it.

I know that adds to the bracket issues, I'm still good for tonight's race though. :)

Edit: I think I canceled properly, not sure if that means I should re-register for NA race though?

If you just cancel from one race you resubmit with just that one race. Don't worry about it this week i'll fix.

Bart -- you will take CSL's place in lobby B. Assignments are now final for EU... opening lobby in 5 minutes...

event17_reg.png

EDIT: GTP_3D3_B lounge is now open for practice. Only join if you are on the B list for EU above.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's an online thing, I haven't done much offline with grip reduction set to real, so I guess that'd be the easy way to try it out.
The second half of Laguna Seca comes to mind for being very different.

And those are also heavily cambered corners.

Turn 10 (next to last), in particular, is brutal if you enter on the wrong line in RL. In the November race, I almost lost it there a couple times.

Either way, my original point was that taking the wrong line through the corner in this event could easily cause a spin, and that remains true. ;)

Is it me or are both 3D3Racing and 3D3B offline on PSN?

just click to join... they don't have to be online... we are in there... go to B... you won't see the little yellow marker, but click and you'll see the list of guys in the lounge and then join.

Ah ok cool. Never knew that was possible ;-)

Livestream going up at 20:00 GMT

Edit: delayed by ~15 min

Edit2: 20:35 GMT = 10min break

Last edited:
Too bad, Speedy -- you were right on Tim's tail before that unfortunate spin! It was very interesting to watch (before the spin, I mean).

Latest Posts

Back