GTP WRS-Online : Event 26 : Classic Revival in Triplicate - Mar 7

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 115 comments
I hit a 101.9 in practice, but we didn't really practice hot laps, just kept running 5 laps races.
Passing is....... well, ... see for yourself :)

I hit a 101.9 in practice, but we didn't really practice hot laps, just kept running 5 laps races.
Passing is....... well, ... see for yourself :)

By myself so no passing. In reverse I could do no better than 1'03.1. I can see where passing is going to be a big problem. :scared: Not that I'm going to be passing anybody this week. Maybe we should have called it Roman Pinball this week.

Think I'll go drive the LMP car. :sly:

The submitted WRS times have been linked to the registration so the starting order is now accurately shown in the driver tables. At this point GTP_T-L (EU) and GTP_Chuk (NA) are the pole sitters pending any new registrations.

Those who did not submit an official lap in the time trial competition will start behind those who did in order of current registry handicap which is also reflected in the tables.

I'm on reserve status...I might make the 3rd race in NA, but that's it.

I can not see the drivers table's, and i do not know if i already registered.....

Yes, you have registered for the EU race using British Racing Green Metalic :D

Thanks for the help last night, Hydro. Apparently I needed the practice session as much to work out issues with menus & sound & keyboard as much as racing.

I was about 2 secs off your pace in reverse direction, but more like 4-5 secs off for forward. I need to put in some practice time on forward course to avoid stacking up traffic too badly (nevermind finishing respectably). Reverse grid will definitely make the second two races interesting!

That was my first comparison between offline & online, and I could definitely feel some difference in the physics. I didn't play with brake balance, just left it at the 3/8 I liked for offline. In general, should I expect car setup to be different online, or is it mostly transferable?

Thanks for the help last night, Hydro. Apparently I needed the practice session as much to work out issues with menus & sound & keyboard as much as racing.

I was about 2 secs off your pace in reverse direction, but more like 4-5 secs off for forward. I need to put in some practice time on forward course to avoid stacking up traffic too badly (nevermind finishing respectably). Reverse grid will definitely make the second two races interesting!

That was my first comparison between offline & online, and I could definitely feel some difference in the physics. I didn't play with brake balance, just left it at the 3/8 I liked for offline. In general, should I expect car setup to be different online, or is it mostly transferable?

For this week, there is no tuning so the transition to online is more about getting used to the lower grip online.

For weeks that allow tuning the offline tunes are often undrivable online.
When tuning is allowed (any time the WRS TT is not in arcade mode) we have drivers that will post 'adjusted' tunes that work online. Several drivers offer tuning tips and post example tunes.
Don't be afraid to ask for tuning advice, here or in the Practice lobby.

Ususally checking out the replay after mini-races helps too. When the really fast guys (D1 + over acheiving D2 drivers :sly:) show up, it's alot like virtual racing / tuning school 👍

A tip for this week:
I think I saw you had TCS @ 5. That will slow the car down quite a bit here. Everytime the car starts to slide (or just spin the wheels), brakes are applied (selectively) to stop the skid. That can have a big impact on acceleration, and subsequently, lap times. I basically power slide through part(s) of T1, and I don't think it would work nearly as well with TCS on.
Auto transmission hurts this car too. The optimal shift point is well below redline (~5700 IIRC). Shifting with a DS3 takes getting used to, but when I used to do it, it became pretty natural after a bit of practice.
I was running a BB of 3/9.

Reverse grid will definitely be...interesting this week. We've run them before, but there's always been room to pass, and usually the outcome is resonably predictable.
All bets are off this week. :D

Last edited:
Reverse grid will definitely be...interesting this week. We've run them before, but there's always been room to pass, and usually the outcome is resonably predictable.
All bets are off this week. :D

Yes, we've got a couple new guys this week that haven't raced with us before. You know what they say about first impressions. :scared:

Just a notice to the new guys that this is not a "typical" race setup for us. We usually do longer races where pits and tire strategy come into play and often run live qualifying, etc. Given there is no pit lane in London there wasn't much of a choice but to set up a special format so we ended up throwing caution to the wind with the sprints and reverse grid.

Everyone should still drive respectfully, but it's a tight track with hard walls and a slippery tire compound so just have fun and do your best to avoid contact. If you can't pass safely just remember it is a reverse grid setup so you'll start further towards the front in the next race. Plus, everyone else is in the same boat.

Mohit(^), Jon, Thierry and myself are in the lounge for practice.

I think I saw you had TCS @ 5.

I think I started with it at 0, but probably forgot to reset it when I left & came back in. Good tip, in any case -- I assumed TCS slowed down turns, but didn't know for sure.

Auto transmission hurts this car too.

Guilty as charged, but only for the first part of our free run. I switched to manual for the rest of the session. Still getting used to shifting gears, but definitely a little faster as long I don't space out and downshift in turn 3.

The optimal shift point is well below redline (~5700 IIRC).

Now that's interesting. I've been shifting around 6200. Hopefully that's not just a clever mind game so you can get by me on the first straight. :odd:

Now that's interesting. I've been shifting around 6200. Hopefully that's not just a clever mind game so you can get by me on the first straight. :odd:

Lol, no it's not a trick.
First thing I do every week is have a look at the hp and torque graphs of the car and look for a good spot to shift.

Yes, we've got a couple new guys this week that haven't raced with us before. You know what they say about first impressions. :scared:

I'm sure I can't help but make some impressions, but I'll do my best to avoid having them be in your bumpers.

:lol: Nice word-play, Steve. 👍 Nice to have you and the other new guys aboard.

A little over an hour ago, Speedy posted (a few posts above) that he and a couple others were in the GTP_3D3Racing lounge. Is there no-one left now? This is usually the EU practice time, you have the time correct. Even if no-one's there, feel free to jump in and run some laps. 👍

It says GTP_3D3Racing hasn't been online for 16 hours.
Couldn't find a room so I started one myself.
It's called 3D3 practice, hope i'm not infringing on any copyrights!

Marc just added you to the 3D3 Friendslist.
You can join us now. ;) 👍

It says GTP_3D3Racing hasn't been online for 16 hours.
Couldn't find a room so I started one myself.
It's called 3D3 practice, hope i'm not infringing on any copyrights!

We don't race as 3D3 Racing, so it's rarely online (only to accept FR's)
Just go to the comunity section of GT Mode, scroll down the the 3D3 Racing icon and jump in the lobby by clicking on the coffee mug.

We use private lobbies exclusively 👍

I have to cancel my EU entry, but I'll be back in time for the NA Race 👍

I have to cancel my EU entry, but I'll be back in time for the NA Race 👍

I'm downgraded to reserve myself for EU... hopefully Speedy can host? I actually could host the room without a problem, but not sure I'll be off a work call in time to participate in the race itself. If Speedy can't host I'll set it up that way.

Note: we are on the verge of needing to go with the mic-disabled lounge (to avoid lag issues) given there are 13 confirmed drivers + 2 reserves. We'll have to make that choice before the race tomorrow. I'd really rather keeps mics enabled given this is a "less serious" race with the sprints and reverse grid format.

We could give the mic-enabled lounge a shot for sprint 1 and if the lag is bad shift over to 3D3_A for the subsequent sprints. A bit tricky with reverse grid setup, but we can stage in reverse too.

Thoughts?

Not a problem Tim. I can host tomorrow. :)

I'm in for giving the mic-enabled lounge a try.
Possible staging for the second race in the possible second lounge shouldn't be a problem.

I will be in the 3D3 lounge around 9 central. about 45 minutes from now

Sorry left at 9:45 was tired of racing by myself!

Al

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back