GTP WRS-Online : Event 29 : Alfa Rome-o - Mar 28

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 98 comments
Quite enjoyed this race, got my 2nd podium :)

Had some fun battles with Speedy and Marc. A shame Speedy and Cote came together, just saw you both spin :indiff:

Sorry cote d'azur for bumping into you, but because i was lapping you i thought i could drive through your ghost .

Congrats to Dion for the EU Win :cheers:
I saw some very quick laps on the screen that I was in no danger of ever matching 👍

Sorry cote d'azur for bumping into you, but because i was lapping you i thought i could drive through your ghost .

Ghosting only happens when penalties are turned on.
We don't use penalties though, so you have to drive around cars as if they were....cars :D

I did find out why my car wasn't broken in properly.
It's a prize car from an A-spec event - I didn't buy it.
That happened once before and I couldn't figure out why I was breaking in a standard car then either.

I have the one from the OCD too so I'll see if I can get it to perform a bit better in the NA race.

Last edited:
event29_res_eu.png

Congratz Dion on your first (of many I'm sure) WRS-OE/3D3 win! Keeping with our tradition for first time winners:

Sorry T-L I forgot to do this when you won a few weeks ago, but I'll get you covered next time.

And Mike you've been on a roll lately in the races... congratz on podium #2. I watched a bit of Speedy's feed and it looked like a nice battle out there.

Was having a fantastic battle with jtv, we were in 1st and 2nd, probably swapped positions at least 20 times in 22 laps.

Then I got DC'd while driving down the main straight. :ouch: :mad:

They are on 27 now, watching the end.

So who won? Did anyone else DC? Was there a red star waiting for you in the seasonals? I'm really worried about this time slot due to the seasonals being released at this time.

EU Race.
Firstly congrats Dion awesome race pace and also to Pekka and Mike on the podium 👍
Qualified in 3rd and got a decent start, but tapped the wall at the end of sector 2 and Hydro passed. Got a little distracted by Marc asking where Pekka was(they couldn't see each other) and drifted a little wide in the left hand bend approaching the final corner then saw Wes in the wall just to my right.
I don't think we touched but felt I may have been the cause :scared: and was going to find safe place to wait, but I understeered into the wall in the last corner. Luckily I was out of everyone's way and was soon last, 25 seconds behind the lead :ouch:.
Found a nice rhythm chasing wes and by lap 10 we had caught Aspec and Al fighting for 6th and 7th. Going into the tight right Aspec had the inside line with Al on the outside with me on his bumper and Wes a few lengths back on the inside line as well. Al and I got around in 6th & 7th and Wes tried a sharper exit but couldn't get past as well.
I got next to Al in the first right of T3 and finished the pass at the braking point for the last corner giving me 6th and would be the last racing pass of the race for me.
I pushed hard to get away and did so after a number of laps with Al stubbornly hanging on, even with my best lap of the race the gap only increased by 0.071sec 👍
At halfway I was only 11 seconds behind Speedy in 3rd, soon after Marc started having a few issues with his car and later retired with mechanical troubles :ouch:.
Had a few tire issues late in the race and after closing to 2 seconds behind Christophe on lap 27 I fell back to finish 9 seconds down in 5th and 7 ahead of Wes who was up to 13.5 seconds behind(lap 27).
Though a little disappointed at my first lap, I had a great race from lap 2 onwards :D.

NA race
I really can't do this race justice with my writing skills so I'll keep it simple :dopey:

Laps 1-22: EDK and I had an amazing race. I got a PB early in the race a 26.3 and Kev caught me by a tenth :crazy:. The biggest lead I saw was 0.8 and the average would be close to 0.15 seconds. 17 (car length or more) lead changes and 4 or 5 times side by side with no pass. All with no car to car contact and only a little wall to car contact(it moved I swear :dopey:)
At the end of lap 21 Kev had a lead of 0.113 and I was looking for the inside line for the Colosseum to try and make it 18 passes and Kev got DC 5 seconds into the lap:ouch:.
The whole time Joe was not far behind only 3-5 seconds away and ready to pounce on a mistake :D
Laps 23-35: A little inconsistent at times but extended the lead out to almost 6 seconds(lap 27) before Joe started reeling me back in to finish only 3.2 seconds behind.

If Kev had not DC I would have given us each a 45% chance for the win and Joe a 10% chance to steal it away :sly:. A bittersweet victory but very satisfied having had that race with Kev 👍

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :cheers:, awesome to hear my national anthem too :D. I haven't won a WRS race before, so to finally get one feels good! (I seem to be better at online races vs TT's)

Nice write up Jon!
I was lucky to make this as I swear you guys changed it from 20:00GMT to 19:00GMT at the last minute!! though I was quite drunk when I went to bed :lol: so I might have missed it... Woke up at 5am expecting to have an hour until qualify, leaving me time to wash my face and all that jaz, only to find qualify expected to start now!! Rushed to join in time and get a few laps under my belt to get the concentration up and luckily for me things were not quite going to plan and qualify as delayed 30mins. This allowed me precious time to get into the groove :lol:

Once the race started I had an epic battle with Pekka for about 15 laps! I was faster in raw pace but he was able to hang in there with the draft and just kept on my tail. Much like Jon's battle with Kev above, Pekka and I swapped the lead on pretty much every lap, with side-by-side racing in all sorts of places with no hits at all! The amount of times we went 2 wide through the first 3 corners was amazing :D. Really was good fun 👍.

On about lap 17 Pekka had a moment (still not sure if I nudged him or if he simply wasn't able to hang onto the rear while driving a different line through corner 3) and that enabled me to gain a 2 second lead and break the draft. From here on I was able to drive consistent and managed to eek out the lead lap after lap. The fact the car took a lot of finesse and concentration in order to drive quick on N3's around a street circuit, means that this race felt longer than the 50mins it took and I honestly felt mentally drained at the end. Getting up at 5am probably doesn't help either though :lol:

Anyway, was great fun and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to more racing again in the future 👍

Congrats to Pekka and Mike for the podium spots 👍

So who won? Did anyone else DC? Was there a red star waiting for you in the seasonals? I'm really worried about this time slot due to the seasonals being released at this time.

Yeah, I'm also worried about the time slot. It's not the first time I've gotten the seasonal boot. :grumpy:

NA race
I really can't do this race justice with my writing skills so I'll keep it simple :dopey:

Laps 1-22: EDK and I had an amazing race. I got a PB early in the race a 26.3 and Kev caught me by a tenth :crazy:. The biggest lead I saw was 0.8 and the average would be close to 0.15 seconds. 17 (car length or more) lead changes and 4 or 5 times side by side with no pass. All with no car to car contact and only a little wall to car contact(it moved I swear :dopey:)
At the end of lap 21 Kev had a lead of 0.113 and I was looking for the inside line for the Colosseum to try and make it 18 passes and Kev got DC 5 seconds into the lap:ouch:.
The whole time Joe was not far behind only 3-5 seconds away and ready to pounce on a mistake :D
Laps 23-35: A little inconsistent at times but extended the lead out to almost 6 seconds(lap 27) before Joe started reeling me back in to finish only 3.2 seconds behind.

If Kev had not DC I would have given us each a 45% chance for the win and Joe a 10% chance to steal it away :sly:. A bittersweet victory but very satisfied having had that race with Kev 👍

Jon - Thanks for the writeup. :)

It was a fantastic race we had going, and I think your odds of victory for the 3 of us are spot on. 👍

I'm impressed at your skills with the DS3. I have the advantage of the D pad on the wheel to look next to me and make sure I know where you are. You just have to have blind faith that I will stay on my side of the track - and I guess you learned that I will. :sly: You are the best controller driver of a similar pace to me I've run against since Maz, and we used to have similar, epic, side by side battles.

Congrats on the well deserved victory and the strong drive home without the benefit of some of the slipstreaming we were able to do to counter the slowdowns from the side by side action. 👍👍

I've replaced the text table in Jon's post with an official image of the results! Look forward to joining in the fray next week.... maybe.

Thanks for covering the results guys 👍
It's been so long since I posted them, I just forgot after the race.

Nice Win Jon :cheers:
I could see from the track map that you and Kevin had quite a battle going.
Sooo tired of seasonal DC's......sorry that happened Kevin. I'm sure the dialogue that followed included a lot of 🤬 ;)

I was having a good race with Joe for the first 7 laps and we were trying to prove that all corners could be taken 2 wide :D
It sort of worked too 👍
But on lap 7 as Joe was rounding the last corner he wobbled a bit as he accelerated so I tried to get a bit of a jump on him only to send my car sideways and almost into the wall.
Then IIRC every car behind me did the exact same thing :(

From there it was almost a mirror image everytime I hit a sector. Lose .5 to the leader, gain it back, - repeat every lap.
Joe wasn't making any mistakes so there was no place to catch back up. On the last few laps I was in visible range of both Jon and Joe as Jon seemed to be struggling a bit with tire wear - DS3 related I'm sure.
At the end of lap 34 I was 9.7 seconds behind Jon, with no hope of catching anyone so I tried to drift all of sector 3. It wasn't really a drift attempt as much as it was me allowing the car to go where it seemed to really want to.

🤬 that race was physically taxing. I'm still sore :(
See you in a week guys 👍

Guys... for next week we're not going to race the current combo (GT5 Week 59 : A GT's GT), but instead we've picked one from the WRS archives.

The race has already chosen, but you guys have a couple hours to try and guess which one it will be before we post the thread. Let's see who can guess correctly. :sly:

Guys... for next week we're not going to race the current combo (GT5 Week 59 : A GT's GT), but instead we've picked one from the WRS archives.

The race has already chosen, but you guys have a couple hours to try and guess which one it will be before we post the thread. Let's see who can guess correctly. :sly:
Flyin' down Mulsanne...
I hope it's a car I can paint though.:dopey:

Congratulations Jon, you really deserved it after race 1.👍👍
(Not that you didn't though Kevin).👍

I just looked at the replay and it wasn't you who bumped me Jon, sorry about that.:(

Last edited:
Flyin' down Mulsanne...

Congratulations Jon, you really deserved it after race 1.👍👍
(Not that you didn't though Kevin).👍

👍 my first thought but a mod expressed concern about it last week during mixed enduro practice.:grumpy:

I was actually hoping for this weeks combo, is there a reason you are passing on it? I think I can run both races next week, EU for sure.

👍 my first thought but a mod expressed concern about it last week during mixed enduro practice.:grumpy:

I was actually hoping for this weeks combo, is there a reason you are passing on it? I think I can run both races next week, EU for sure.

We tried a couple test races last night, and it really just confirmed our concerns that the race will be 1/2 a lap of Nascar style drafting, then carnage in turn 2, a cool chicane, then carnage in the final turn.
It's a great TT combo, but racing at HSR is always .... tricky.

We'll let you guys know tonight what we've selected as an alternative.
I'm interested to see what others will guess for the time being.
Or is Wes right already :confused:....:D

I just looked at the replay and it wasn't you who bumped me Jon, sorry about that.:(

I just had a look myself and saw it was me! Sorry about that, Wes :nervous:

I didn't realize at the time that we had touched. If a racing steward could have a look (it's at 1:19-1:20 on lap 1) and tell whether it's a racing incident. If not, I'll take a well-deserved DQ since I did not wait for you.

It looks as if I was going a bit too fast in the turn and could not keep the arc of my turn inside yours as you passed me on the outside, so we made contact before you had completely passed me.

This is just before contact:

No, I don't want to. For some reason it looked like you also had a little less grip there. It can happen. And like I said in the room, I don't blame anyone: it's not easy to go side by side there.;)
Besides, I only had 188 BHP and I was using stock settings (read the rules wrong) so no way I was going to be able to keep up with the front group.

Last edited:
Flyin' down Mulsanne...

Thread is going up shortly, but here's a hint. Your first guess is NOT correct and you can't paint the car.

More hints? Pekka, Mark and Blair all took part and had yet to be promoted to their new divisions (D2, D3 and D4 respectively). Speedy was already in D2, but didn't drive like it. :lol:

EU race report:

Lap 1-14 I got a nice draft from Small_Fryz (Dion) , while trading places every 2-3 laps.
The draft allowed me break away with him , thanks.
Every time I got ahead of him , he passed me before the end of the ongoing lap.

Lap 15 I had that half-spin in turn 3 , after which Dion left me too far ,
far enought behind him , so that I was no longer able to take advantage of the DRS. :D
The half-spin happened almost exactly when Christophe said something about Small_Fryz
and me switching positions back and forth. :distracted?: :lol:

I never understood the 3rd turn and/or sector 1 to be honest.
And I still don't. :lol:

By lap 21 my gap to Dion was over 8 seconds and I missed the braking point at T1. (+1-2 seconds)

Once the tyres started to wear off I found myself more sideways , than what was necessary.

On lap 27/28 start/finish line I ran into cote_d'azur after he apparently lagged.
(Or I lagged and lag-shunted him causing the whole thing)

That cost me about 15 seconds.

Lap 32 I tried to dodge AspecBob , who had spun at T2 .
I managed to slow down enought to avoid any bigger damage to either of us.

The last 3 laps were the toughest with rear tyres worn down to 70% (tyre thread left).

I've uploaded my (PAL) replay here. (Download this file - button)

Sorry to maybe have distracted you Pekka. :embarrassed: :lol:

Any one up for this one again on Saturday, say 20:00 GMT...
Click the GMT time to see what's your local time.

I'm not saying no, but probably won't know for sure until just before the race.

One more time , sure.
How would this sound , a few ( ?# of ) shorter races for more battles / side by side action ? :D

I figured I'd try to get my first Alfa up to specs by running it on the X track, a la MadMax break-in (rubber band on throttle).
However something unexpected awesome happened to the car:
SpecialStageRouteX.jpg

Rust.In.Pieces - I 🤬 hated you anyway :D

PS - I dare anyone to find a more... 'dramatic' invisible wall.

Latest Posts

Back